Chapter 6

Change of Plans

Minah nervously sat in her chair, under the careful watch of Mr. Kwon and Mrs. Kwon. She was having dinner with the Kwons, just like the night before. Mr. Kwon seemed fidgety. He kept mumbling angrily to his wife, and she constantly shushed him.

“I don’t see why eating dinner with her is a condition of letting her work here.” Mr. Kwon grumbled.

“You be quiet! I think it’s a great idea. At least for you, you can find some time to wind down from work. You’re always in such a bad mood. Relax a bit! Even if it’s just for a little while.” She hissed at him.

“I’ll be relaxed once I finish those papers! Let me eat in my office!”

You timidly interrupted them.

“E-excuse me. Is it ok if I eat my dinner in my room?"

“See! Even she doesn’t want to be here. You may go.” Mr. Kwon began to stand.

Mrs. Kwon was ready to pull him back into his seat when the butler came in.

"Minah," Mrs. Kwon began with a smile, "Sit." she said sternly.

“Master Kwon has arrived, sir.” Mr. Kwon stopped. His eyes darted towards the door and glared. Mrs. Kwon’s face lit up and excitedly called him in for dinner.

“Minah, this is our son. I’ve been dying for you to meet him.” She happily clapped her hands together. “This is who you’ll be tutoring from now on. Jiyong-ah! Come and say hello!”

“Mom, I told you I don’t need a tutor.”

 Minah widened her eyes at the familiar name and voice. She made a silent prayer, hoping it wasn’t him. She bit her lip and turned around.

“Oh! Minah!” Jiyong smiled and laughed. “You got pulled into this mess?”

Minah let out a sigh and looked up towards heaven, “You let me down, God.”

“You know each other?” Mrs. Kwon asked, happily surprised. "Perfect! So you'll begin your lessons immediately!"

Mrs. Kwon happily began to brag about Minah, talking about her accomplishments and high intelligence.

“She’s ranked second in your school!”

“Second? Why not first?” Jiyong teased.

Minah bit her lip. She didn’t want to answer the same question twice. She stayed quiet. Mrs. Kwon brushed it away.

"Mom, no!" Jiyong looked her and then at Minah. "Look, thanks a lot for taking care of me, but I don't need another tutor. You should just grab your stuff and leave." He said before trying to leave.

"Jiyong." His father called to him in a stern and low tone. Jiyong found his footsteps frozen in place at the sound of his father's voice.

"Sit down and have dinner." Mr. Kwon said, not once did he look up at his son nor did he even stop eating to wait for his son to join him.

Minah watched from the back of Jiyong's head as he faced onward and simply replied, "Not hungry," She felt his determination as he strided towards the exit, but stopped halfway. His stomache growled. Minah snickered at the impeccable timing. He bashfully turned around.

"Maybe I'll eat just a little bit." he said while not looking at any of them.

The tense dinner continued in the dimly lit room. With such rich people, you would think they could afford to add in some more lights. Minah sighed, thinking of dinners back home with her mom and Taemin. Jiyong stood up and excused himself, seeing how he was done eating first. Minah abruptly stood up with him, taking this as an opportunity to leave too. She couldn't stand being in the same room as the overbearing Mr. Kwon anymore. Just being in the same room felt nearly suffocating.

A maid bowed to Minah and began to lead her to her room. God forbid she get lost in this maze of a house again. She tried to keep a straight face, but she couldn't help but notice Jiyong walking beside her. Her eyes traveled around the hall and any other place than Jiyong's face. Feeling uncomfortable, she shoved her hands in her pockets and looked downwards.

Jiyong on the other hand, kept wondering why this girl was in his house. It was nice of her to take care of him with his fever and everything, but why would she of all people be here. He took a deep breath and said in his usual happy tone, "Thanks for taking care of me before."

Minah, caught off guard, jerked her head up and stammered an awkward, "Y-yeah."

They continued walking. The maid, eyed them once in a while. She chuckled as they came to a stop.

"This is your room, miss. If there's anything you need please call." The maid then left Jiyong and Minah standing awkwardly alone together.

"Well, you can go to your room. I'm good." Minah said to Jiyong. Jiyong let out a loud laugh before crossing his arms and leaning against the wall.

"So that's what they were doing to my closet."

"Closet?" Minah asked puzzled. "This is my room..." she paused for a moment. "Isn't it?"

Jiyong laughed even hard, wiping tears from his eyes. "Oh..this is going to be fun." He welcomed himself as he opened the door to Minah's room. Minah quickly ran after him.

"Well isn't this nice." He walked around with his hands behind his back. "Oh look! They put a window in too! With a balcony! Very nice!" He stepped up to your cluttered desk, covers with piles of books and other paper work.

"Didn't you just move in? How is your desk already so messy?" he laughed.

Minah let out a quicky and heavy sigh as he watched him inspect nearly every corner of the room.

Jiyong stopped at a door in the room. "Do you know what this is?"

Minah had never the chance to really settle in, she hadn't even gotten all of her things stored into her closet.

"A closet?" she asked sarcastically.

Jiyong shooked his head and laughed. "It's your bathroom." He opened the door and stepped inside. In the bathroom, it had a toilet and a sink on on side, with a shower on the other side. In between the two walls, there was another door. Jiyong stuck his finger out and motioned for Minah to come closer. She hesitantly did so, wary of this flamboyant character.

"And do you know what this is?" he asked her one more time.

She shook her head. She was guessing it wasn't a closet.

Jiyong let out another full laugh, echoing through the bathroom walls. "It's my room."

He open the door and skipped into his room and jumped onto his bed. Minah peered her head through the doorway, seeing it was true, and silently cursed to herself.

"Damn, what did I get into."

"Come in, come in. Don't be shy." Jiyong enthusiastically welcomed her, and excitedly jumped atop his bed. She stepped in to see exactly what she thought a boys room would be like. Messy, cluttered, dark, with lots of games and comic books lying around. Jiyong jumped out of bed and called her over to his sliding glass door.

"Here, Check this out. BAM!" He slid the door open, and walked out onto the balcony. He placed his hand on his forehead, as if he was searching across the land. "I can see your room from here!" he joked.

Minah rubbed her temples as she couldn't believe she would be tutoring him. She let out a large sigh before turning around and walking back to her room.

"Hey where are you going?" Jiyong asked her. Minah ignored him. She walked through the restroom and closed both doors. Jiyong let out a laugh and chuckled to himself.

"Oh, this is going to be fast and easy." he smirked.

 


(1/1/14) HI GUYS!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I'm going to work really hard to get this thing going fast and strong!