Chapter 2

Change of Plans

"Where are we going?" Minah quietly asked the man who earlier dagged you into the car.

You silently anticipated his answer. "You'll see soon enough."

They arrived at a mansion-like house. There was a steel gate upon entering the grounds, a magnificent garden with fountains and beautiful flowers, along with bushes shaped into various animals, not to mention the beautiful sculptures. Minah was too caught up with all the decorations that she didn't even realize the car had stopped. The man opened the door for her and led her up the stairs leading up to the entrance. He proceeded to open the door and let her in and then closed the door, leaving her inside by herself.

"Wait, you're not go-" the door shut before she finished her sentence, "-ing to help me..." She stood there waiting for something, anything to happen. She ran up the spiral staircase after hearing a dog's sudden bark. She stared from the top of the stairs and down to the dog.

"What is it Gaho? Did you hear something?" she heard a familiar voice talk to the dog. A man's form appeared next to the dog and began petting him. Minah immediately hid when she saw him begin to turn around to look up. She could feel her heart beating like crazy from being scared of the dog and from being so anxious in a stranger's home.

"Stupid, why did you hide?" she whispered to herself. "There was no reason to hide."

"I'm going out now. I won't be here for dinner." the voice of the man from earlier said, it seemed like he was talking to her. She turned around to see his back walk out the door.

"Do you need anything miss?" a maid asked her, looking confused as to why she was here. She quickly stood up and stuttered.

"I-I-"

"Oh you must be the new tutor." Minah nodded. "Please, follow me." The maid led her around the house, but it seemed like they were getting lost in a maze. 

"Here is your room." she opened a door and let you enter first, "Dinner will be ready shortly. You'll be eating with the family so please clean up before you do."

"Clean? But the room's spotless." she said back to her.

The maid chuckled at the little joke as she closed the door, but Minah wasn't sure of what the joke was. She turned back to her room to find it alsmot exactly like how it was at home. She laid down on her bed and hugged her pillows.

"Smells like home too." she smiled to herself.

Her room was definitely much larger than before, much more spacious. Her closet was adjacent to her bed, with her desk just opposite of it, just the way she liked it. The bookshelf wasn't the same one, but it was so much better. It was sturdier and didn't threaten to fall or collapse every time she put a book on it; there so much more extra space, she couldn't wait to fill it up. She wasn't used to seeing bare walls since at home she had posters filling up each space. A larger window was located above her desk, and extended to meet the closet. Its curtains were baby blue, staying coherent with the overall sky theme of your room.

There was a knock on the door, "Miss, you have a phone call from your mother."

She ran to the door and accepted the phone with an awkward nod.

"Mom!" she whispered her yell into the phone since the maid was still in the room. She turned back and gave the maid an awkward nod, hoping she'd leave now so she could yell at her home in comfort. Thankfully, she did.

"So? How's everything over? Is it nice? Do you think they'd let me and little Taeminnie come visit someone time?"

"Mom! How could you kick me out and make me live in a strangers home?"

'Unbelievable! My own mother kicked me out of my house own house to go tutor some rich brat. He's probably four for all I know!' she thought to herself.

"Mom! Was it really necessary for me to move here?"

"Ok, ok. I knew you'd be like this so I made a list of reasonable reasons-"

"That's redundent..."

"- as to why it's better for you to live there, but let me just say first, I DO love you ok sweetie?"

"Alright, what?"

"Number 1, assuming your room is much bigger there than here, your studying would be more comfortable."

"I was comfortable at home. I see no difference."

"But I'm sure you like the sky theme don't you?" Minah didn't respond.

"Ok then, number 2, without me and Taemin around you'd be able to focus easier."

"...go on..."

"Number 3, you get to practice your tutoring skills and this would be great for your college application."

".....mhm....."

"Number 4, the pay is ridiculously high, so you'd be able to fund for studying abroad like you've always wanted, and you'd get to buy more books with that pocket money, not to mention not feel so dependent on me. You and I both know you hate being dependent. Lastly number 5, don't take this the wrong way, but with one less person to feed, it'll be a bit easier to pay bills and make rent."

She didn't want to admit to it, but she did hate being dependent, and it would make it easier for her mom to pay bills. She let out a sigh.

"How long am I staying here for?"

"I'm so glad you're ok with this job! You know how stubborn you can be, so it's such a relief you're ok with it. Honestly I didn't know if-"

"Mom...I'm already here. No more hiding from me." Minah cut off her mom's jabbering like the night before.

"You'll be there for a year-BUT they've agreed for you to come home on holidays and weekends if there's no tutoring to be done."

Minah could faintly hear her mom's voice slowly break as it went from her vibrant tone to a more saddening one.

"Mom...Don't worry to much ok? I'll be fine. I'll try to call as often as I can." Minah reassured her mom through the phone.

"I know you'll do fine. You're...you're just like your dad, always so strong. Do well alright my baby?" her mom asked with an audible sniff through the phone.

"I will."

There was another knock on the door, "Miss, it's time for dinner."

"Mom, I have to go now. I'll call you when I can alright?"

"Bye sweetie."

She hung up the phone and followed the maid to a dining hall. Not long afterwards, the 'masters' of the manor came. The man entered first followed by a lady. Minah quickly stood up and bowed. The man glanced at her and then sat down. The woman gave her a slight nod seemingly as a signal to sit, she did so. 

The began silent as the clanking of silverware filled the empty room. Then the man started, "Whats your name?" he asked without looking at her.

She put her utensils down and slowly answered, "My name is Choi Minah, ...sir..." she awkwardly added.

"What's your rank in school?" 

"Second, sir."

"Why not first?" 

This question pricked her, damn that physics test. 

"I'm slightly struggling in Physics."

"Is that a required subject?"

"No, it is an elective, sir."

"Score?"

"290/300 sir," (A/N just a made up number on something like the SAT)

All the while the woman didn't say a word. It seemed like she was holding back something on what she wanted to say.

"I shall take my leave. When you are done, you may excuse yourself And return to your bedroom." With that he left with his wife, and you alone at the table.

The butler came out and asked if she wanted seconds. She nicely rejected, then asked, "Is their son going to eat dinner?"

"No, he's out for the night Miss,"

Minah thought it was strange it that they let their son go out for the night, considering he was about 6 or 7 years old.

"Oh, well, are you going to eat?"

He seemed a bit astonished she even asked him, "Yes I will, Miss, but I eat in the kitchen with the rest of the servers."

"Why not eat here?" she asked him.

He let out a small laugh, "Excuse me for laughing, Miss. You are quite the joker." He bowed and left the room, leaving Minah a bit dumbfounded.

"Why does everyone keep laughing at my questions? I'm not trying to be funny." she said to herself.

She managed to find her way through the maze and back to her room. There was another knock at the door. She groaned, can't these people go away? Why do they keep coming back? Although she felt like that, she let whoever it was in.

"Miss, the master wanted me to warn you that your bathroom is still in construction. He said you may use the one in the room next door, but you must knock." the maid informed her.

"Also, there will be a car to take you to school tomorrow. You will be taking the same car as the young master. If you have any more question you may call for me." the maid ended her report with a bow. Before she left, Minah asked her what the head masters' name was.

"They are the Kwon's, Miss." the maid replied before excusing herself. Minah threw herself on her bed, and hugged her pillows. It's kind of lonely here. 

 


(11/3/12) Chapter 2 done! Whoo! It's going to get interesting from now on. kekeke.