Four.

The First Collage ~ Another Me ~
[sunggyu.KIM]
 
On the night Ruha stood for me unexpectedly, just like what she once did when we're just high school students, I promised myself I would never let her slipped away from my life again.
 
I knew it sounded stupid. It's idiot to even think about that. Who was I really to have that kind of thought? I was just no one but a fan, an acquaintance of hers who was helpless from time to time.
 
Our cold reunion almost ended with her walking away, not even bothering to mention my name for once. I stopped her by calling the name I had been wondering for the past years.
 
There were so many questions I wanted to ask, answers I wanted to know, but all of them were just stuck, refusing to slip out from my mouth.
 
Do you really remember me? Why did you resign from being an artist? Where do you live now? I'm your big fan. I'm studying music now. And so on and on.
 
Ruha didn't say a word. She just stood there, right in front of me without rushing me to tell her the reason why I stopped her even though her hair and shirt were all wet. Second by second passed and none of us said a single thing.
 
"I'm sorry," I chose the words. I bowed in ninety degrees, "Sorry for making you drenched with, errr, alcohol. I was being careless..."
 
She heaved a small sigh and murmured, "Of all the words, 'sorry' is your choice as the first word to greet me."
 
I was taken aback by her honest statement. I clenched my fists, feeling like a fool, blaming myself for not able to give a good impression after time to time in front of her.
 
"Thanks...," I tried to give a smile to her. "Thanks for helping me, Ruha. It's been a while, isn't it?"
 
"That's better," she commented without any change of expression on her face. "I'll take my leave now. Be careful on your way back."
 
Just thinking that I should make her stay just for a little bit longer, I blurted out a ridiculous question, "Do you know my name, Ruha?"
 
She never called me by name. Not even for a single time. There was this curiousity, wondering how it sounded if she called my name.
 
Ruha stopped her steps and turned to face me. Her lips moved as she spoke clearly, "Kim Sunggyu."
 
She knew.
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
"Girlfriend?" Yoseob repeats the word. His eyes are stuck on Ruha and his eyes show how surprise he is. "Ruha... Is it..."
 
At first I would assume that he knows that Ruha is a former artist and he is in a complete shock because a guy like me, who is only an amateur with a dream to be a professional singer, claims to be her boyfriend.
 
However Ruha's next words make me realize that they actually know each other.
 
"So it's actually here, your schedule today."
 
This time it's my turn to widen my eyes, completely surprise with her statement, "Eh? W-What... You two... Ruha, you know Yoseob?"
 
"Kind of," she just answers shortly. Ruha stands up and murmurs, "I'm not going to have dinner here."
 
I was going to ask whether she would leave or not but Yoseob takes the chance to speak before me, "So it's actually here, the place where you always run away from me."
 
Their eyes meet and I can catch the hint that both of them never expect themselves to meet in this kind of situation. I open my mouth just to close it again when Ruha replied, "I'm not running away."
 
"Right," Yoseob gives a sad smile and he turns to me, giving me a polite smile. "Thank you for taking care of Ruha, Sunggyu. We could have met earlier in different situation if I knew you are her boyfriend."
 
"Oh," I don't know what to say. I clear my throat awkwardly, "Yeah. Of course. I... Thank you for coming. Err, I mean, Ruha, are you going to leave?"
 
Ruha closes her eyes, refusing to give me an answer but I take it as a 'yes'. She could just walk away if she really wants to leave my apartment.
 
"Now...," Yoseob steps closer to my piano and presses the white keys randomly, "...let's hear you, Sunggyu."
 
I sit behind the piano, putting my fingers on the keys. I glance at Ruha for a second, can't help but to be curious of what kind of relationship she has with Yoseob. I shrug the thought away before taking a deep breath, "Don't be disappointed, Yoseob. I'm not so good."
 
"I'll say a word later," Yoseob chuckles and I notice that he also takes a quick glance over Ruha. "I'm pretty sure you are good."
 
And then I play a song.
 
A song which I played for Ruha the day I asked to her to stay by my side.
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
We met again two days after the unfortunate event at park. For my surprise, she gave me her number when I asked for it. I couldn't help but to think that it's actually a dream.
 
I didn't know what I was really feeling when I saw her again that evening. She arrived earlier than me, waiting at the cafe I told her by the phone.
 
Was it an excited feeling of a fan meeting his favorite artist directly? Was it just a nostalgic feeling of an old acquaintance meeting high school friend? Was it actually more than what I could think?
 
"Do you still play piano?" it's her first question to me.
 
I was still wondering why she agreed to meet me. I blinked for multiple times, trying to register the question to my brain. I nodded, "Oh, yes, I... I'm in Department of Music now..."
 
Ruha grabbed the cup of coffee. Her focus was somewhere else even though she responded to me, "I see..."
 
The idea just crossed my mind from nowhere when I asked her, "Let's go somewhere, Ruha. It's not far from here."
 
I brought her to a nearby music studio where I spent my time when I was bored. I asked for a piano room and she followed me behind without any question.
 
"You never really listened to my play before, right?" I grinned awkwardly, rolling up my sleeves. "Just listen to me once and I would be really happy."
 
Ruha stayed in silence and I gave her a quick, nervous smile. I closed my eyes, remembering every piece of notes I would play.
 
My fingers danced on the white and black keys in harmony, filling the room with melodies. I sang along shortly, giving it all as if I was singing in front of thousand people.
 
"I start humming along  to love songs that I didn't like before
All of the melodramas in the world seem like my story
I try to look good when I didn't before by paying attention to my appearance
I'm acquiring the bitter taste of coffee
Time goes so fast and my heart grows impatient
I imagine you next to me and film a movie of my own"
 
It's just a short song I made for myself while, to be honest, thinking of Ruha. I didn't know how to admit it but I guessed...
 
...I had fallen for her.
 
Far before she defended me. Even before I knew her name. Just because I heard her piano playing on her first week at school accidentally.
 
Because she had captured my heart before I realized she could do that.
 
"When a man's in love, he wants to stay by your side
There's always so much he wants to do for you
When I'm in love, I wnat to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, one heart
When I'm in love"
 
I stopped and gave an awkward grin, "I know it's not really good and the words are cheesy but... Well, I promise I'll be better."
 
"You're sincere," Ruha landed her sight on me, not moving at all. "And that what matters the most. You don't have to promise me anything."
 
"But I want to," I told her without thinking. For this one time, I told myself in mind, be a man, Kim Sunggyu. "I'll promise you so stay by my side, Ruha."
 
I thought she would snap at me, a guy who demanded illogical thing when we just met again two days ago. We barely knew each other before so why in the world would she listen to me?
 
She didn't run away. She didn't give me a strange look. She just looked at me for seconds before stating, "I'm not expecting a fulfilled promise but..."
 
"...I'll stay."
 
 
__________
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Last updated 17 April 2013 and now is 15 June 2013.
Almost two months already.
I know, my frequency of updating has not yet increased but, really, I'm planning for something at the moment so...
Please wait patiently for my frequent update again soon. ;)
 
Feel free to drop your comments below or mention me at Twitter @AFFkyuri91.
Hope you enjoy the new chapter!