The man in the rain

I'll be your lover tomorrow

I woke up to the sharp ringing of a phone next to my bed. Oh . I really had forgotten to switch off the alarm of my mobile phone. Whoops! I turned it off and wanted to fall asleep again, but suddenly I noticed Isa was gone. I slightly started to panic, but then I heard choking noises from the bathroom. I guess I was going to visit the City Centre alone. It was 9 am, because in Germany my phone usually wakes me up at 10 am and London is one hour behind. I got up and put on skinny Jeans from American eagle, a light blue t-shirt with a big logo saying “Vans” and a white scarf with blue, brown and purple dots on it. Isa came back into the room and let herself fall on the bed. “I’m stupid!”, she mumbled. I laughed. “You coming?”, I asked. “Noooooo…I really don’t feel well. I am staying in bed until lunch”, she answered. “Well, I’m going to have breakfast now. We can go into the city later, okay? I’m just going to take a little walk. I’ll be back soon enough. If you want to eat something, just call the room service, okay?” She her back and said: “Yeah, bye!”

I grabbed my bag with the small umbrella and put on my Hollister-jacket. Then I went to the big dining hall. There was a huge buffet with so many different dishes you could think there wasn’t enough space for them. I wasn’t too hungry so I just got some scrambled eggs and a bun with strawberry jam. I drank the best hot chocolate ever and then quickly walked over the thick red carpet to the front doors. I was still very tired and the fresh air made my head become clearer. I turned right and started to walk. When I got to the river Thames, I just turned right again. I passed a lot of beautiful houses, but the further I got, the smaller they looked, until they seemed to just have disappeared. I still kept going. It was 12 o’clock now. I hoped there was going to be a bus stop, but there was nothing than the pebbly road and some trees. It got a lot colder and suddenly it started to rain. What a piece of luck that I had brought the umbrella with me! The rain got more intense and so I turned around. Soon, Isa was going to start to worry. If she wasn’t asleep. The rode seemed to be endless. I didn’t see the puddle in front of me, so I suddenly stood in ankle-deep water. Oh ! Now I had wet feet, too.

“Waaaaait!”, I suddenly heard someone shout. Surprised, I turned around and saw a man running towards me. He had dark brown hair, wet streaks hanging over his right eye. He must have been freezing, because all he was wearing was a t-shirt. And of course jeans and shoes. He seemed to be very sportive, he was by my side very fast. “Miss, please, do you know where we are?”, he asked out of breath a little. That cute accent again. The one I’ve heard of Key…he also was Asian, so probably Korean, too. “No, I’m sorry. I have no idea myself”, I replied. He smiled brightly. Holy . I couldn’t stop staring at his perfect white teeth, his shining eyes, the cute hairstyle ruined by the rain. The rain. Oops! How stupid was I not to have asked him?! “Do you want to come under my umbrella?” Now he laughed. “Sure!” “What’s so funny about it?”, I asked confused. He stopped laughing and started to sing: “You can stand under my umbrella, you can stand under my umbrella,
ella, ella, ay ay ay, under my umbrella…you know that song, don’t you?” I smirked and started singing, too: “Because, when the sun shines, we’ll shine together! Told you I’ll be here forever, said I’ll always be your friend, take an oath, I’ma stick it out to the end.” He looked very impressed, which made me get confused. “What?”, I asked. “Wow! You have a very cool voice!”, he said amazed. I blushed and didn’t know what else to say than “thanks”. He took advantage of my speechlessness, grabbed the umbrella and held it away from me. “Hey!”, I shouted and ran after it. He held it as high as possible, but I was taller than him and got it back. “You are very tall”, he said. I just replied: “That was mean!” The umbrella was useless now, I was wet anyhow. He just laughed. “Very mean!”, I said again. “Well, come on, it’s not that cold!”, he replied and his hair out of his dark eyes. I stuck out my tongue at him and shook out the umbrella in his direction. “Ya!”, he screamed and started to chase me. I ran away laughing and stepped from one puddle to the next. But I didn’t care. Of course, he was faster than me and he grabbed me around my waist. I struggled, but I was laughing so hard I couldn’t free myself. “Got you!”, he said triumphantly. I managed to turn around so I was able to look into his eyes: “And what now?” He let go of me and suggested: “You have to tell me your name.” “I’m Judith”, I answered. “Chuudiiith!”, he said and made me laugh. “Was that wrong?” “No, that was ok!”, I said and we started to walk again. As I looked up from the ground I caught him staring at me, so I looked back to the ground again. Then I asked: “Soo, what’s your name?” “Oh, you can just call me Sari.” I smiled and nodded. “Chudith!”, he added. Then he pushed me into a very large puddle. “Hey!”, I screamed and dragged him with me. He laughed and we started jumping from puddle to puddle, getting even wetter than before. We screamed and laughed like children.

After a little while, we saw the first small house. I gave him a high five, but actually, I could have walked next to him for like forever. We had so much fun! He even tried to carry me on his back, but I felt like I was twice as heavy as him so I didn’t want him to. He respected me. And I think I fell in love with him. Eventually. Always when he had that bright smile on his face, my heart beat a little faster.

He started singing again: “You can count on me, like one, two, three, I’ll be there, and I know, when I need it I can count on you...” He had a beautiful voice. Dark, soft…it was funny, but he sang one of my most favourite songs. I shivered. “Oh, are you cold?”, he asked and I nodded, so he put his arm around me. I don’t know how he couldn’t be freezing with only a t-shirt on. Without thinking, I put both arms around his upper body and lay my head on his shoulder. He stopped walking. Confused, I let go of him, but he put my arms back and hugged me. Adrenalin rushed through my body and I had the urge to kiss him. He filled my head, all I could think of was his endlessly cute smile and his perfect voice, his strong body and the short, wet hair. He over my back and took my head in his hands. I stared into his sparkling dark eyes. We were standing like that for about 30 seconds, just staring. Wasn’t it a happy coincidence, we just had met here? This was like a perfect dream.

His head came closer. “How old are you?”, he whispered. Hypnotised by his intense gaze I whispered: “15.” He let go and took a step back. What did I do? “15?!”, he said. I was confused. “Chudith, I am turning 21 next month!” Reality was back. No perfect dream. Stupid reality, where Sari was over five years older than me. “I am sorry”, I whispered. Tears were building up. “Chudith, you don’t have to be sorry”, his voice was softer now, “It’s not your fault that I like you.” I looked at him and he smiled again. Did he really say he liked me? I don’t know why, but again, I wasn’t thinking and took a step towards him. I gave him a kiss on his cheek. He looked surprised and blushed. “Come on, let’s go!”, he said and grabbed my hand. Maybe it was his smile that made me do things I wouldn’t have done if my brain wouldn’t have cut out.

When we were back in the city, he hugged me for a long last time and without saying a word, he took a bus to a friend’s house. I walked alone to the hotel, went on the elevator to the 4th floor, room number 489. “Judith!”, Isa shouted, “Where have you been!” The big clock said 15:43. I felt so far away, so alone. Isa looked horrified: “What have you done! You are soaking wet!” I sneezed. “I’m hungry”, I said quietly. “Go change and I’ll call the room service. Take a hot bath or something like that, okay? Oh gosh, I was so worried!” I sneezed again and said: “I am sorry.” “And you are sick already! Now go, hurry up!”, Isa said and pushed me into the bathroom, “You can tell me later what happened and where you’ve been.”

The hot water felt wonderful on my skin. But only on my skin. The warmth didn’t touch my heart, didn’t make the sad thoughts go away. I duck in the water. As I exhaled, bubbles found their way to its surface. They reminded me of the raindrops outside. I started to cry. Nobody could see my tears though, not even me, because I still was under water. And that was what I wanted it to be like. Sari and I were never going to happen, so why should there be tears? Nobody was going to know Sari and I had ever met. Not even me. I was just going to forget him. That wasn’t too difficult, was it?

 

 

 

 

Enjoing the story? :)

If you like, leave a comment.

If you don't like it, leave one, too! :P

Seung hyun *____* <333333