Chapter 9

More Than A Teacher, More Than A Student

 

(YongGuk's POV)

I was sitting on the edge of my bed and I was nervous again. I mean I knew it was understood that JiHyun loved me but asking her to officially be my girlfriend still made me nervous for some reason. I was naturally shy so doing things like this really wasn’t my strong point.

While JiHyun had gone out shopping I had rushed to the jewelry store to pick up the ring I had ordered weeks ago.

 

I was planning to give it to JiHyun to commemorate our official relationship. I was also thinking more and more about marrying JiHyun. I didn’t want to bring it up though, I had no idea how to but I just wanted so badly to know how she felt about it. Even if she wasn’t ready to get married I just needed to know she was at least ­thinking about marrying me. The thought of asking her scared the crap out of me.

“Mr. Bang?”

I jumped when I heard her voice and almost had a heart attack.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you!”

“No, it’s fine, I was just thinking…”

“About what?”

Oh, you know, do you want to marry me?

“You,” I said. I didn’t want to lie to her. “Did you get your outfit?”  Hopefully, this would change the subject.

She nodded happily. “It’s perfect, I think you’ll really like it.”

She set her bags down and sat next to me. “What time are we going for?”

“Ah~ we’ll leave in a couple hours.”

“Mwoh?” She jumped up. “I have to start getting ready then.”

I didn’t understand. She was already so beautiful I didn’t know what she would need two hours for…I just shrugged.

“I’ll let you have the room, then.”

“I hope it’s not too much trouble for you, always having to leave the room –”

I sealed her lips with a kiss. “I don’t mind.”

About an hour later HimChan came back from wherever he was and found me sitting pensively on the couch.

“Ok, YongGuk-ah, what is it?”

“I want to marry JiHyun.” There was no point hiding it, HimChan and I told each other everything.

His eyes widened a bit and he sat next to me.

“Wow…”

“Yeah…”

“Have you…talked to her about it?”

I shook my head. “How do I bring something like that up without coming on too strong?”

HimChan narrowed his eyes a bit as he thought.

“Why don’t you write it down?”

“Write it?”

“Yeah…it’ll help you to gather your thoughts. Write how you’re feeling in a letter form and then…give it to her. Let her read it in private so you don’t have to worry about her reaction and she can respond to you.”

“That actually sounds like a good idea.”

“Of course it’s a good idea, it came from Kim HimChan.”

I punched him in the shoulder and he whined about me bruising his “perfect” skin. I left the couch to get ready for dinner. I wore a simple dress shirt, tie and slacks.

A few minutes before it was time to go JiHyun came into the living room. She looked beautiful. I loved the way she dressed. It wasn’t too flashy or too simple. It made her look sweet and innocent and I had to admit I liked that. I went over to her and kissed her forehead.

“You look beautiful,” I whispered.

She blushed and thanked me while looking away. We bade HimChan goodbye and left. The car ride was silent but it was that comfortable silence that we both appreciated. We got to the restaurant and were seated at a cozy table for two in a quiet corner. A waiter took our orders for drinks and appetizers and left us.

“JiHyunnie,” I started, “There’s a special reason I wanted to take you out.”

She tilted her head to the side and I continued.

“I realized…we never made our relationship official. I never asked you if you wanted to be with me. I mean, I believe you do…” I actually blushed a little, “but I just want to formally ask you and I want us to have an anniversary that we can celebrate together every year.”

I took out the little velvet-covered box from my pocket and I saw her eyes widen.

“Nam JiHyun, will you be my girlfriend?”

I was sure I saw the smallest look of disappointment in her eyes but she smiled and said yes. I started to put the ring on her pinky finger but then I saw tears in her eyes.

“JiHyunnie? What is it?”

She shook her head. “I’m happy, Mr. Bang.”

I placed the ring on her finger but I didn’t feel like everything was ok. Wasn’t this what she wanted? For us to be a couple? I didn’t want us to keep anything from each other. I had seen too many couples break apart because the individuals just wouldn’t say what was on their mind. They sit and let it stew in their hearts until it came out in much bigger proportions that it needed to.

JiHyun wasn’t ok. I knew that but I didn’t want to spoil dinner. I would wait until later.

When the waiter brought our food we ate in silence; but it was a different silence and I didn’t like it. JiHyun didn’t look me in the eyes for the rest of the night. We talked but it just wasn’t…right. Something was bothering her.

As soon as we got into the car I asked her.

“Please tell me, JiHyunnie. What’s wrong?”

“I shouldn’t distract you while you’re driving,” she said quietly.

“Fine, when we get home.”

“I actually have to go back to school tonight. My orientation is tomorrow morning…”

I sighed. What did she not want to tell me? I reviewed the night in my head. When had things changed? Was it right after I asked her to be my girlfriend? What did I do wrong? Was it the ring? Was it too childish or too simple?

When we got back to the apartment I firmly held JiHyun’s hand and led her to my bedroom.

“Nam JiHyun, why are you being like this?”

She moved away from me and started to pack her things back into her overnight bag.

What the hell did I do?

“Everything’s fine,” she said, her back turned to me as she packed.

I went and knelt next to her. “Did I do something wrong?”

Her eyebrows furrowed a little and she shook her head.

“JiHyun-ah, I really don’t want us to keep things from each other.”

Please, Mr. Bang, I’m fine. Just stop asking.”

I didn’t like the tone in her voice but I dropped the matter.

“I think I’m going to take the bus back,” she said.

What?

“Why? I can –”

“It’s ok, Mr. Bang, really. I want to take the bus.”

“At least let HimChan drive you?”

She sighed. “Alright.”

I understood. She didn’t want to be with me right now. I went over to HimChan’s room and leaned on the doorframe.

“Can you take JiHyun back to the university?”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.”

HimChan observed my face.

“What happened? You guys looked so happy when you left!”

I explained to HimChan the sudden turn of events at dinner.

“I don’t know what I did wrong. She won’t even look at me! She asked to take the bus back but it’s getting late. She said it was ok if you took her.”

“That’s weird…maybe I can talk to her?”

“But she knows whatever she tells you you’ll tell me…”

HimChan shrugged. “It’s worth a try right?”


 

*sigh* So I'll see you guys in 3 weeks, hopefully sooner! *crosses fingers* I hope you stay with me ^_^  Have A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! <3  

heart pic cr: http://weheartit.com/telhma_valerio

ring pic cr: http://www.tomsgold.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=2363