Chapter 11

More Than A Teacher, More Than A Student

 

 

 

 

YongGuk’s Letter

Dear JiHyunnie,

I am writing you this letter because in all honesty I didn’t know how to say this to you face-to-face. Your opinion matters so much to me I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to handle your reaction to my feelings if we were in person. I want to let everything out right now in this letter and tell you what has been on my mind.

On our first night together I realized something. Nam JiHyun, I don’t ever want to be without you. I can’t imagine my life without you, I can’t imagine what I would be doing now or what state I would be in if I had never met you.

When I first saw you at Ijak-do I felt something that I had never felt before. I was drawn to you and now I know that’s because you’re the one that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I want to wake up to see your face every morning until we grow old. I want to have the assurance that you are mine and no one else’s until the day that we die. I want you to belong to me and I want to belong to you. I want our relationship to be more than a trivial boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

What I’m trying to say is that I want to marry you, Nam JiHyun. I know that you love me but I don’t know what your thoughts are on being married to your seonsaengnim. Tell me, JiHyunnie, what do you want?

Love always and forever,

방 용국

 

JiHyun’s Letter

Dear Mr. Bang,

I’m sorry for leaving in such a rush and making you worry. It was selfish of me but I just couldn’t bring myself to tell you what I was thinking. Don’t ever think I was upset with you, I’m not. I’m upset that I couldn’t work up the courage to talk to you face-to-face.

I left because I was embarrassed. I let my insecurities get the better of me. Sitting here, writing this, I know that you will love me no matter what but I need to tell you what I’ve been feeling. I need to tell you the extent of my feelings and exactly why I got so emotional.

 I love you Mr. Bang. It’s been way past a silly schoolgirl crush for a long time now. I’ve grown and my love for you has matured too. Before I left for Seoul, I started thinking of what it would be like to be your wife. I never brought it up, though, because I didn’t know how you felt about it. At dinner, when you pulled out that box with the ring in it, I thought you were going to propose to me. When you didn’t I was crushed. I couldn’t tell you why, I didn’t want to ruin the evening. I started to have doubts about myself and I wondered why you wouldn’t want to marry me.

I was unsure of how I felt about being married but when placed in the situation I knew I was ready. I don’t want to sound needy but I need to know. Have you ever thought of marrying me? Is it maybe something you’re looking forward to in the future? Please, let me know.

Love always from your favourite haksaeng,

남 지현

 

(HimChan’s POV)

It had been a week since Mr. Bang and JiHyun had seen each other. I so badly wanted to see that moment when they stopped being awkward pabos and ran into each other’s arms.

I had asked JiHyun over to help me with some cooking and told her to bring her letter. She was still feeling awkward around YongGuk but she couldn’t stay away. How could these two not tell how much they wanted and needed each other?

I heard the door of the apartment open and close.

“It’s probably, HyoSung,” I said quickly to JiHyun, “I left it open for her.”

I ran to the door before YongGuk shouted that he was home.

 “Go get your letter.” I told him.

“Well, hello to you too!”

“Just go get it!”

“What’s the rush?”

“I’m going to give it to JiHyun now.”

“Now? Aren’t you busy in the kitchen?”

“Don’t question me, Bang YongGuk, I know what I’m doing!”

He looked at me like I was crazy for my outburst but he went to get it anyway and I quickly ran into the kitchen. I was just too impatient at this point.

“JiHyun-ah, before I forget, where did you put your letter?”

“It’s still in my bag, in the front pocket. Where’s Hyo –? ”

“Alright, then!” I said, cutting her off. I ran to her bag and got the letter the hurried to YongGuk’s room. He was just standing there staring at the letter in his hands.

“Come on, Bang,” I said, “It’s now or never.”

He sighed and handed me the letter. “I hope –”

“Here you are!” I said, brightly, handing him the letter from JiHyun.

“What –?”

“Just read it. It’s from JiHyun.”

He looked so confused.

“Just read it.” I said repeated exasperatedly.  

I huffed at his slowness and hurried back into the kitchen.

“JiHyun-ah, this is for you.” I smiled happily and handed her the letter from YongGuk.

“Who is this from?”

Aish, these two! So slow and stubborn!

“Just read it, ok? I’ll be in the living room.”

I sat and waited for about 5 minutes with no word from either of them. Honesty, how long did it take to read a letter? But I didn’t want to interrupt either of them; this was a crucial time.

Suddenly I heard YongGuk’s heavy footsteps thundering towards the living room.

“HimChan! HimChan! She wants to marry me! SHE WANTS TO MARRY ME!!”

He burst into the living room with the biggest grin on his face and pulled me into a bear hug. His back was to the entrance and I saw JiHyun just coming in, also grinning.

“Oh my God, HimChannie, I LOVE YOU!” YongGuk continued in his glee, “Thank you for telling me to write that letter! Thank you!”

I pushed YongGuk off of me and spun him around to face the door. He saw JiHyun with his letter in her hands and froze with his goofy grin on his face. They stared at each other for a few seconds then they ran to each other. YongGuk picked JiHyun up and spun her around happily. My work was done.

 

(YongGuk’s POV)

I read the letter over and over just to take in what my JiHyunnie was saying. Could I really be any luckier than this?? She wanted to marry me! We both had the same feelings! I ran to find HimChan shouting the good news and I pulled him into a hug. He was the best friend ever.

Suddenly HimChan turned me around and I saw JiHyun standing there holding my letter. She looked just as happy if not happier than me. We ran to each other and I picked her up and span her around. She laughed happily and wrapped her arms around my neck. We kissed for I don’t know how long and then I finally put her down.

 “I’ll give you guys some time alone~” HimChan said, leaving the apartment.

JiHyun and I sat down on the couch and I took her hands in mine.

“Mr. Bang,” JiHyun started, “I was so stupid. I shouldn’t have –”

I stopped her with a finger on her lips.

“We were both stupid,” I said, “but something amazing came from this. JiHyunnie, we’re getting married.”

Suddenly she looked sad.

“JiHyunnie! What is it?” I couldn’t go through another awkward time with her.

“We have to wait…” she said.

“To get married? Why?”

“I’m still 19. I need my parents’ permission if I’m not yet 20. They would never let me marry you.”

“…Is that it?”

“Yes, but –”

“JiHyunnie, after everything we’ve been through I think we can wait one more year to get married. We’re together now and that’s what really matters.”

She smiled and wrapped her arms around me.

“You’re right. I can wait, Mr. Bang. 


The next chapter will be the epilogue~ ;_;

 

pic cr: http://www.etsy.com/listing/57396462/shop-closing-sale-romantic-envelope