o2

The Blind Kid

Taemin stopped just outside the room, tapping his fingers on the piece of paper. It wasn’t too late to turn around and change his mind. Still he figured this was better than standing outside in the hot sun all day. With an annoyed sigh he stepped into the room not really sure what to expect. He adjusted the bag on his shoulder and walked up to the girl, who was sitting behind the desk, clicking away at the computer. He had barely opened his mouth when she cut him off.

 

“Taemin, right?”

 

“Uh, yeah.” He replied, handing her his paper for her to sign. He needed to turn it in to prove that he was showing up for his hours. She took his paper and wrote down what time it was, giving him a warm smile. “He’s right over there,” she pointed.

 

Like Taemin couldn’t see. The boy in the blue shirt was the only person in the room with sunglasses... as well as the only person in the room. Taemin hung his head as he made his way over.  

 

“Hey,” Taemin greeted the other trying not to sound so bummed out, but failed miserably.

 

“Hey,” the other male responded with a smile. “It’s Taemin, right? I’m Minho, but I guess you already knew that.”

 

“Yeah,” Taemin replied caught off guard. “How did you-”

 

“I heard her say your name.” Minho explained. Taemin looked over in the direction of the desk he had just left. It was over 30 feet away. There was no way Minho could’ve heard that.

 

“So what are you in for?” the taller boy with sunglasses asked, rubix cube in his hands, breaking Taemin’s thoughts.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Taemin said taking a seat next to him watching him curiously. Who was this guy kidding? He couldn’t see the colors, how the hell was he supposed to solve it.

 

Minho worked quietly switching directions on the cube’s surfaces faster than Taemin could see what color was where. “Like you would really volunteer to come sit with me on your own free will.”

 

“Y-yeah, why not?” Taemin didn’t feel like opening up to a complete stranger. Wasn’t it enough he already knew Taemin didn’t want to be there? “I mean it’s not every day you get to meet a kid prodigy, right?" He had heard about Minho's reputation.

 

“I’ll do my best to keep you entertained,” Minho grinned. He knew Taemin was still lying. All the people that ever came to see him were kids that had chosen the easy way out, but he decided not to press any further. Taemin would tell him when he was ready. They all did.

 

Minho placed the small cube on the table and stood up.

 

The younger’s eyes widen. To his surprise all the colors matched perfectly.