MAMA Needs A New Name

MAMA, the EXOtic

“We’re in the desert,” MAMA mumbled, tapping on her watch monitor.

“The desert? What do you mean the desert?” Tao panicked.

“I believe she means a vast area of sand with dry and hot weather. It is usually teeming with desert li-,” Suho stated bluntly.

“I know what a desert is. I was being rhetorical,” Tao interrupted.

MAMA angrily tapped on her monitor then scanned the desert horizon. MAMA sighed and gave the boys a short glance.

“I can’t seem to reach my headquarters right now. We’ll have to continue on foot from here to the laboratory,” she informed in a monotone voice.

“What do you mean on foot? Are you crazy?” Chanyeol shouted with a hint of anger in his voice.

“Lower your voice,” MAMA commanded. “We are in Darkness territory. If the Darkness hears your voice, it’ll send the Darkness minions after you.”

MAMA walked over to the crashed spaceship and began throwing backpacks out of the door. The boys watched her with opened mouths and flabbergasted expressions. MAMA then jumped out of the door and looked at the boys.

“What are you waiting for? Grab a backpack. You’ll need the supplies,” MAMA said, swinging a backpack over her shoulder.

Reluctantly, the boys each grabbed a backpack and followed MAMA as she began walking. Sehun skipped ahead and caught up to MAMA as she trekked effortlessly through the hot, flowing sand.

“So… um… girl,” Sehun stammered.

“My name is MAMA,” she snapped.

“I don’t like that name,” Sehun chuckled. Sehun put his finger to his lip and drifted into thought. “Oh! I know! How about Lee Sa Rang? That’s a pretty name. Sarang means heart in Korean, you know.”

“I know, but my name is MAMA,” she replied, marching ahead.

“Lee Sa Rang… really?” Suho sassed. Suho shook his head and stared at the ground as he walked.

“What? I think it’s pretty,” Sehun beamed.

“Yes, because all kidnappers are adorable,” Lay sneered.

“I think she is,” Sehun pouted.

“Wow, my eyes have been opened to a whole new level of stupid,” Suho insulted, making a face at Sehun.

“That was a great remark,” Lay smirked, holding his palm out to Suho.

“I know right?” Suho laughed, slapping his hand against Lay’s palm.

“Stop picking on him guys. He’s just a kid,” Kai scorned.

“The young man is correct,” Chen said, turning towards the boys. “The only thing we can do now is stick together so we don't end up perishing in the wilderness or something. I think we should start by introducing ourselves. I’m Chen.”

“The young man’s name is Kai,” Kai smiled, happy that someone agreed with him.

The boys introduced themselves to each other with MAMA barely within hearing distance. D.O. was joking around with Kris and Baekhyun when he realized he still didn’t know his kidnapper’s name. D.O. elbowed Baekhyun and pointed at MAMA.

“What’s the weird chick’s name?” D.O. asked.

“That’s not very nice… calling her weird and all,” Kris said quietly.

“I’m just being honest. I mean, come on, she kidnaps us, she barely talks, and her face, I mean seriously. She doesn’t emote!” D.O. hissed, waving his arms around.

“Are you talking about Lee Sa Rang?” Sehun perked up, wedging himself between Kris and D.O..

“Sa Rang?” D.O. raised an eyebrow.

“My name is MAMA, Sehun,” MAMA retorted, putting emphasis on Sehun’s name.

“I don’t like that name,” Sehun stuck his tongue out.

“I know what you’re doing. If you don’t put that tongue away, it’s coming out,” MAMA threatened.

Frightened, Sehun slurped his tongue back in and covered his mouth with his hands. The boys looked at each other and stopped, letting MAMA walk further away before they began discussing.

“Her name is weird,” D.O. stated.

Everything about her is weird,” Suho added.

“That’s not very nice. She may be weird but she is still a girl. Girls a fragile like flowers, and I’m sure you’ll hurt her feelings if she heard,” Luhan scolded.

“Oh, be quiet flower boy,” D.O. snapped.

“You!” Luhan retorted, smacking D.O. on the head.

“You little, just wait until I get my hands on you,” D.O. hissed, reaching for Luhan’s hair.

“Enough ladies,” Xiumin stepped in, grabbing the two by their collars. “No cat fighting.”

“Back to… MAMA… I think she needs a name change,” Kai interrupted. “If she can kidnap us and take us to some planet, I’m sure she won’t mind we give her a new name. Besides, she doesn’t seem very happy with her name…”