Why Chanyeol

Love (and other crazy things)

  

 

Why Chanyeol?

Why?

Why?

Why him?

They murmur behind their hands to each other's ear. They don't get it, Baekhyun knows. They don't understand and he doesn't try to make them because no amount of words could  weigh out the tall, blonde boy's worth to him. Besides, they don't matter. They're just curious creatures that prey on everything that's foreign to them, scrutinizing it as if it's going to sprout magical bean stalks at any given moment. They're nothing but blurred silhouttes and fleeting shadows that pick on the unknown and judge the ones that don't follow the status quo. 

 

In a city where everything is uniform and organized, Park Chanyeol is like a lone, high rock perched in the middle of the ocean. These fleeting shadows swarm him like moths and flames, eager to know everything about this new boy who hailed from a provincial coast. They say that he came from a place near the beach, that he's in his third year of high school, and that he moved here because of his parent's job. They say that everything about Park Chanyeol is odd, and even Baekhyun agrees to that. 

 

From head to toe, nothing about this rural teenager is normal. People mock him because his clothes are too weird, too old. Students laugh behind his back because he doesn't know how to operate simple gadgets like cellphones and computers. They stiffle giggles because of his thick, provincial accent. Teachers are startled because he's the epitome of polite and respectful. Byun Baekhyun is intrigued because he is different and he thinks that different is good. 

 

So Baekhyun took the initiative to talk to Park Chanyeol. They think that it must be one of Baekhyun's pranks and that he'll end up embarassing the new kid out of Seoul. And Baekhyun can't blame them, because really, that was his original plan. Baekhyun had never been right in the head and he'd come up with the wackiest ideas that would morph into action at random times like three in the morning, maybe? Shaming Chanyeol was the original plan but everything went downhill and continued to go on a roller-coaster trail when Baekhyun finds more about Park Chanyeol. 

 

Park Chanyeol is the kid with his head up in the clouds. When Chanyeol walks Baekhyun home, he'd often trip because he'd be too busy looking at the patterns of the clouds instead of the pavement in front of him. After a few weeks' worth of scars and bruises, Baekhyun had finally mastered the art of saving Chanyeol's . Park Chanyeol has a nice set of teeth and a pair of plump lips that tastes like cinnamon and stars when Baekhyun plants a kiss on them. Sometimes, Baekhyun and Chanyeol would lie down in a beach, trying to make out constellations. Chanyeol doesn't know a single one but he does have the most interesting myths and stories so Baekhyun would always listen. 

 

And when Chanyeol isn't looking at the heavens or talking, he listens to every single word that comes out of Baekhyun's mouth. Chanyeol keeps quiet when there's an oppurtunity for him to listen. He believes that there's no greater gift that you can give to someone than listening to what they have to say and treating it as something important. So baekhyun talks. Baekhyun tells him all about his monotonous life and how tired he is of everything. Chanyeol listens as Baekhyun sobs and chokes out how scared his is that he would fail his parents' expectations but then there would be days when he'd utter that to everything. Baekhyun spills words that he never thought he posesses and he realizes that he, too, along with Chanyeol; is a marvel. When Baekhyun told Chanyeol he loves him, Chanyeol listened and Baekhyun did the same when Chanyeol whispers i love you, too. in his ears while trailing his fingertips along Baekhyun's as if his fingers are the ship that sails on the calm sea that is Baekhyun's flesh. 

 

Of course, Chanyeol does things that infuriate Baekhyun. Chanyeol won't answer calls and always tell him that he loves him. Sometimes, he'd be gone for days end before coming back with a string of excuses and heartfelt apologies. Despite all that, love prevails and Chanyeol doesn't let Baekhyun sleep mad. 

 

So, why Chanyeol; you ask.

 

Well it's easy. Chanyeol because he smells like the sea, because he's refreshing, because he gives Baekhyun the wings to soar high, because he makes Baekhyun feel human and loved, because he's everything that Baekhyun wanted to be, because he quotes Baekhyun's favorite lines at five in the morning. 

 

Park Chanyeol because he is currently outside of Baekhyun's window with a childish grin that implies he's certainly up to no good. Because he's carrying a duvet bag over his shoulder and because he's waving at Baekhyun while mouthing let's go. Because when Baekhyun asked where to, Chanyeol shrugs his shoulders and brings out a stack of maps, as if it's going to help anything. Because it is two in the morning and he's helping Baekhyun pack lightly. Because Baekhyun knows that if his parents find out about this, they're dead meat. Because Chanyeol holds his hand as they jump out of the window and sneak out of his house. Because he's eagerly bouncing while Baekhyun is starting the car, revving up the engine and preparing himself for a long journey. Because Chanyeol satisfies his wanderlust and fills the empty spaces of Baekhyun's heart.

 

So, I answer; why not Chanyeol?

 

 

 

-----

 

 

I swear this doesn't make sense but I sort of want to write something here and this feels perfect. OH! And if you're reading 'The Curious Case Of Mr. Blue Lips' this is a side story to Baekhyun & Chanyeol (their past) (: