06 - SAVED

A NEW DAWN
XSYKOTICA
06: SAVED
A NEW DAWN: Meeting new people
It wasn’t that easy for them to continue their journey. They were all sleepless, tired and hungry. When you were outside you couldn't afford to let your guard down. Not a wink of sleep –who could sleep when you were always scared of zombies attacking you.

 

Along the road in the midst of hunger they spotted a small convenient store –it looked like an oasis in middle of the dessert, it was promising for them and for a brief moment they all felt happy. Among the stores they passed this one barely had zombies around.  There were zombies walking outside but their numbers weren’t too much –Daesung could handle them all with no sweat. They decided to take the risk.

 

Daesung went out first smashing immediately the head of the first zombie he encountered. Taeyang and Jiyong followed behind half running half walking towards the store. Seungri went out too with his ever reliable mop and shooed the zombies away. All the boys went out except for TOP who did not budge in his seat. He said he couldn’t lose sight of his precious wife coz she was carrying his princess.

 

Yep he was fixed on the thought of having a daughter –a tiny little monster that would soon be like its mother –according to Seungri.

 

The four men who went out decided to split in half. Taeyang and Daesung volunteered to stay outside (and Seungri was happy, yes, very much happy) while Jiyong half heartedly took the panda with him inside.

 

The shop was well lighted and silent. The two were thankful for it would make their task easier. They both immediately went to the food section with baskets in hand. They took all the food they could take –mostly canned goods, breads and chips. Yes, chips, it was TOP’s number one reminder. Never forget chips.

 

“Bom noona must be requesting chips from TOP hyung.” The younger dumped a few bag of Lays and Ruffles in his basket.

 

“Don’t take too much.” Jiyong said while stacking canned goods inside his back pack.

 

“Chae loves Lays so I’m taking one for her too.” The younger grinned sheepishly that made the older rolled his eyes at him.

 

“Take some sanitary napkins too from the other aisle.” Jiyong pointed the second aisle.

 

“Sanitary napkins?”

 

“Yeah, Dara said she’ll have her period in a couple of days.” The older didn’t bother looking up for he knew the look the younger was giving him. Seungri wanted to say a erted remark but he opted not to. He obeyed nevertheless making a mental note to take packets of condoms too –just in case of emergency. He giggled and hopped happily towards the said aisle.

 

It took them a few minutes to fill up their back packs and basket with foods and personal stuffs. They just needed to take bottled waters from across the aisle, in the refrigerator and they’re set to go. They took hurried steps towards the container but their steps were halted by the scene they found just in front of the refrigerator. There, in front, were two zombies pulling out intestines of a person.

 

Seungri turned around immediately and vomited while Jiyong just stood frozen at the gruesome scene in front of him. The boy’s eyes were blank and lifeless –they were staring straight to Jiyong’s. His left leg was in a cast stained with blood. The poor cripple kid must be doing part time job in the convenient store for he looked so damn young. Jiyong covered his mouth. He swallowed his own saliva and felt something coming up from the pit of his stomach. He vomited.

 

Jiyong held on to the rack of cup noodles for support. He had never felt so disgusted in his whole life. The stench and acid of the vomitus in his mouth made him puke more.

 

“Hyung we need to get out of here.” Seungri whispered as discreetly as possible his face pale and knees buckling. Jiyong looked at the bottled waters inside the refrigerator.

 

We need those.

 

The thought of possibly leaving without water bothered Jiyong. People wouldn't leave on food alone. The last time they had quenched their thirst fully were days ago. After that, they only had sips every day dividing the water to everyone equally. He remembered Dara’s dried and chapped lips.

 

They need water.

 

He shut his eyes and clenched his fist. He had decided to take a risk.

 

The zombies that were busily munching the intestines of the kid didn’t bother looking up at them –puking all your innards in one go was not a quiet task but they did not pay attention. Before, they thought that the scent of flesh and blood arouses them –that was true, but they didn’t seem to notice anyone when they have food in hand. Jiyong mentally noted the piece of information.

 

“Seungri we can’t leave without water.” Jiyong saw the fear in the younger’s eyes and he couldn’t blame him.

 

“Hyung…”

 

“We need water. You’re thirsty too you know that.”

 

“But.”

 

“I’ll distract the zombies. You have to get as much bottles of water as you can.”

 

“That’s dangerous! Hyung you can’t--”

 

“Don’t worry those ers were too bloated to be able to catch up with me.”

 

The younger contemplated for a moment. He knew for a fact that they won’t survive without water. He looked at the pool of blood he needed to pass through to get to the refrigerator. He could feel the blood of the poor kid seeping through his rubber shoes and it disgusted him to no end. He felt like vomiting again.

 

“I trust you.” Jiyong tapped the younger’s shoulder. He noticed the way the younger’s face was paling and he felt the urge to give him some moral boost. “Chae needs water to be able to eat those chips you took for her. Water always follows the salt. You know that right? Chae will die of dehydration—“

 

“Fine…fine…fine…no need to overdo the threatening hyung.”

 

“But that’s true. The water in your body follows the salt. It ruins the bal-“

 

“Oh . I said I’ll do it so shut up.”

 

Jiyong smiled inwardly. That little piece of knowledge he got after suffering from Urinary Tract Infection helped. The doctor pretty scared him that time telling him eating too much salty foods and not drinking water would cause him more severe problems than UTI. Like the hell it could cause him STD, he grunted.

 

Seungri felt so scared but they need water. He took a couple of deep breaths and jumped around lightly to reduce the tension in his muscles. He wrapped both his hands around his lower back and kept straightening up, as if to work out a kink. He then turned to the older man.

 

“Let’s rock and roll.”

 

----------------------------------------

 

Seungri squeezed himself in the space between the wall and cup noodles rack while Jiyong, armored with Seungri’s ever reliable mop (Seungri half heartedly and reluctantly gave him the mop) made noises by tapping the metal racks with it. The zombies didn’t seem to mind which annoyed Jiyong.

 

He had to execute Plan B.

 

He went closer to the zombies who were still eating the internal organs of the poor kid and swatted their hands with the end of the mop. Their food dropped from their hands back to the opened body of their victim. They angrily growled and turned at him. Finally they noticed him. Jiyong didn’t know if he should be happy or scared by that.

 

Slowly they stood up, eyes glued at him. He started to take a step backward, mop still aiming in front. He felt so ing like Seungri at the moment but he brushed off the thought.

 

.

 

He cursed when the zombies finally left their food and aimed for Jiyong hungrily. Their mouths were still dripping with blood as they groan. Jiyong fought the urge to vomit again.

 

The zombies’ steps became faster as they limped towards their new food –Jiyong. Jiyong took giant steps away from them getting farther and farther away. He signaled Seungri by waving the mop to go the refrigerator. Seungri obeyed.

 

Seungri stopped just right in front of the pool of blood. He hesitated for moment feeling disgusted that the blood would cover his shoes.

 

This is a ing Air Jordan XI rubber shoes.

 

He cried deep inside, having a mental break down. He shut his eyes tightly before stepping forward, feeling the way the blood glided between his shoes and floor made Seungri want to puke all his innards in one go. He held it in spitting out as much saliva as he could. Without looking down the floor, he walked towards the refrigerator which was just a few feet away. He arrived in front and let out a sigh of relief feeling thirstier than ever.

 

He opened the refrigerator and grabbed bottles of mineral water. He didn’t even bother arranging them. He just tossed everything inside the basket. He dumped everything that he could grab. When he saw that the basket was full. He immediately turned to call Jiyong.

 

“Hyung! I’m done” he called. His voice echoed, bouncing through walls of the deserted convenient store. Jiyong appeared from one of the racks and shouted, ‘Let’s go!’.

 

Seungri was about to step forward when something/someone grabbed his ankle. His eyes widened when he heard a familiar groaning from behind. His head slowly turned in fear. There sitting on the floor, innards dangling from his opened stomach was the kid that the zombies was eating awhile ago. It was grabbing his ankle while groaning loudly.

 

.

 

Seungri cursed. He didn’t have any weapons with him the only things he had were bottles of water and bags of chips, he felt doomed. As if time was ticking slowly and everything was in slow motion, the zombie opened its mouth aiming for his leg. His mind froze and he couldn’t move.

 

Is this the end of me?

 

No, this can’t be.

 

 I still need to marry Chae.

 

I still need to have kids.

 

I still need to have Lee Seungyun devils in the future.

 

This can’t be---

 

His thoughts were halted by a loud bang. The sound of gunshot rang in his ears. He was deaf for brief moment but that brought him back from his trance. He glanced down at his leg only find the face of the kid pressed down on the floor blood oozing from a hole on its forehead.

 

“What the ? Are you stupid?” Jiyong screamed from afar running towards him with zombies limping fast behind him.

 

Jiyong grabbed his arm.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

They round up in one corner running past a few racks –their heavy bags and basket causing them to slow down. The fully fed zombies trailed not too far behind them. They seemed faster and stronger after feeding. Jiyong took noted again. As much as he hated to admit it, they were in a deep .

 

After zigzagging through the racks they reached the exit much to their relief. Jiyong pushed open the door and went out closing it immediately. The zombies pounded on the glass door while Seungri and Jiyong held it close.

 

“Yongbae…Daesung!! Help us here. Give us rope to tie---“

 

Jiyong’s words were cut off when he turned around. His heart skipped a beat.

 

This was what happened after just a few minutes inside?

 

.

.

.

Daesung and Yongbae’s back were facing them with their guns aimed forward. Yongbae swung his rifle throwing the zombie on the side in a heap. Daesung on the other hand smashed the head of the zombie who leapt towards him with the of his gun.

 

“S-!” Seungri cursed face pale and mouth hanging open. There in front of them were a group of zombies, larger than what they saw before. They looked trapped being sandwiched between the pack of zombies in front and fully-fed-but-still-ing-hungry-zombies at the back behind the glass doors.

 

What the hell happened?

 

Jiyong and Seungri just stared wide eyed in horror. They were just gone for a few minutes and the number grew this large immediately? As if sensing their thoughts Yongbae turned around.

 

“, who fired the gun?” Yongbae hissed. He swung his rifle again hitting the zombie’s skull with the of it.

 

“.” Jiyong felt a sudden surge of fear. The gun sound must have caught the attention of the zombies around. And now, they were gathered in front of them. He immediately darted his gaze to the side where they parked the cars.

 

His heart leapt up to his throat. The car was being surrounded by zombies, some on the roof and some on top of the hood pounding the glass with their bloody hands.

 

“We need to go back to the car!” Jiyong screamed, hands still gripping tightly the handles of the glass doors.

 

“How the are we going to do that.” Daesung answered.

 

Yeah, how are they going to do that?

 

Jiyong mentally punched himself for using the gun. It was his entire fault. This would’ve never happened if he didn’t use his gun.

 

“Hyung, this is not your fault.” Seungri suddenly spoke as if he can read the older man’s thoughts. Jiyong looked up at him then back at the cars. Yeah, he needed to save Seungri. He was left with no choice.

 

“Let’s tie this door up then help Daesung and Yongbae.”

 

“How?”

 

“Take my handkerchief from my pocket.” Seungri immediately complied. With his one hand holding the door, his other hand reached for Jiyong’s back pocket. He took out the red handkerchief and waved it at Jiyong.

 

“Here hyung.”

 

Jiyong nodded, “Good. Now tie up the door with that. I can keep this shut by myself but make it fast.”

 

Seungri reluctantly let go of the doors and slipped the ends of the handkerchief in the hallow part of the door handles.  He was sweating profusely as he hastily tightened the knot. Jiyong let go of the doors. The zombies pushed it harshly and it opened slightly but not fully.

Both breathed out a sigh of relief they were about to turn around when they heard gun shots. By the sound of it, it looked like it came from a high end machine gun. Somebody screamed.

 

“Drop on the floor!”

 

The voice was unknown to them. It didn’t sound like Yongbae or Daesung. It was abnormally loud for a natural voice. It sounded more like it came from a loud speaker. Both were startled when suddenly both of them were thrown down to the floor. Daesung and Yongbae suddenly appeared behind pushing them down making them fall on their and lay flat on the floor.

 

Like a reflex they covered their heads with their arms and hands when machine guns were heard –there were two now showering bullets. The deafening sound of the machine gun rang and pierced their ears. Jiyong and Seungri looked confused while being pinned down on the floor by Daesung and Yongbae.

 

The sound of the guns echoed in the silent town, it was scary like a war was happening. It took a couple of minutes before the sound of the machine guns died down and as it died down the groans coming from zombies died down with it too.

 

“Are you guys okay?”

 

Another unfamiliar voice came. They all looked up and saw a man wearing army uniform with two more men in the same uniform standing beside them.

 

Soldiers.

 

Jiyong thought he was just dreaming. Was the person standing beside them really human? Was he really  seeing another human aside from them? The thought of not being alone made Jiyong happy. This meant there were still survivors like them. ing soldier survivors. Hell yeah.. soldiers with machine guns.

 

The man smiled at them and offered his hand.

 

Jiyong took it and the man pulled him up.

 

“Are you guys okay?” the soldier asked again. Seeing the man closer, Jiyong noticed that the man was quite young –in his middle twenties maybe, and a bit handsome.

 

“We’re fine. Thank you.” Jiyong answered politely. He remembered the car and immediately his head snapped to its direction. Around the car were bodies of the zombies that were cramping around it awhile ago. There were also soldiers armed with guns pulling lifeless bodies of zombies from the roof and hood of the car. He wanted to run towards the car and check Dara but he couldn’t –that would be rude considering the person who saved them was in front of him.

 

“Good thing we were doing our usual rounds or else something bad could’ve happened.” The man who was a bit too feminine looking said eyes trained on the car too. Jiyong wouldn’t deny that fact they actually almost died. Thanks to them they were still alive.

 

“Yes, thank you again. Mr………?”

 

“Oh sorry, by the way I am Captain Lee Donghae.”

 

------------------------------------

End of 06

Note:

This took me a week to write. I have never written something descriptive like this so sorry if this was poorly written. T^T I am a fluff writer. I live with rainbows and baby elephants. Angsty fic drained me. Leave me some comments to recharge my batteries.

C O M M E N T – your lovely comments really energize me write.

U P V O T E – I’d love to see the numbers up there go high.

S U B S C R I B E – be really nice and subscribe thanks^^