03 - ESCAPE

A NEW DAWN
XSYKOTICA
03: ESCAPE
A NEW DAWN: You cannot die
DARA’S POV:

 

He gazed at me tiredly. My eyes widen seeing his shirt drenched with blood. He slumped on the floor dropping his gun. Like time has stopped, slowly dreadful things flooded my brain.

 

 

 I shrieked and the last thing I know I was running towards him.

 

 

"Oh my God Jiyong!!!" I screamed in panic. No, this can’t be happening. This is not true. I am just hallucinating. Those aren’t blood. I am not seeing this. This cant---

 

 

“Jiyong.” I gasped upon reaching him. I covered my mouth in hope to stop myself from breaking down. I tremble as he gazed up at me tiredly.

 

 

He smiled. “Babe, don’t worry… this isn’t mine” he said weakly. I felt my knees buckle and I slumped down on the cold concrete.

 

 

“F… ff..--” I can’t even utter a word. My body was trembling too much that speaking turned out to be a tough job. I hit his chest lightly. A couple of times, I kept hitting him without saying a word. ‘You bastard’ I want to tell him. I want to curse and lash out at him, ‘Fck you’ but I can’t.

 

 

“You scared me you . I hate you.” I sobbed, tears forming in the corner of my eyes. “I so fcking hate you.” I punched his chest harder this time.

 

 

“Ouch.” He chuckled. “I want to hug you but I can’t I’m messy… but.. my lips aren’t, they’re perfectly clean so how about a kiss since I came back alive?” he grinned widely at me.

 

 

I glared at him before shouting. “NO!”

 

 

I hate him for scaring the out of me. I tried to stop him from their plan telling him it was dangerous that if they go down we should be with them. But he firmly said we can’t go with them. Being the stubborn bastard that he was, they still continued with the plan leaving us worrying if they’ll be able to make it alive.

 

 

“Hey…” TOP called gaining our attention. I stopped sobbing and turned my attention to him.

 

 

“Oh my God….” Bom immediately shrieked taking her metal pipe that was lying on the floor and ran towards TOP.

 

 

“Hey…hey…hey..calm down…” TOP said grabbing Bom's pipe.

 

 

“I’m going to kill you Choi Seunghyun. How dare you leave me? You promised you will bring me with you.” She screamed crying --this was a first. She’s a strong woman not even the death of her parents made her cry. But awhile ago I saw a weak Bom. She was on the verge of breaking down the roof top door to follow TOP, but the three (TOP, Jiyong and Daesung) were smart enough to lock the door from outside. In the end we both end up consoling each other, silently patting each other's back.

 

 

“Yeobo… I cannot take that chance. I won’t let you go with me knowing it’s too dangerous.” TOP hugged Bom who sobbed on his chest. Bom might be tough on the outside but TOP was her weakness. Without TOP she won’t be able to function. TOP was like the other part of her body they were just impossible to separate.

 

 

“What’s with the couples being lovey-dovey? We’re in a life and death situation here.”  Daesung suddenly appeared with two rifles slung on his shoulder.

 

 

“Chubby cheeks how about me…don’t I get a hug??” Daesung pouted over Minzy who just huffed at him.

 

 

The poor guy looked hurt.

 

 

“Ouch…chubby cheeks…just a hug… please give me a hug.. I almost died out there!!” Daesung cried dramatically dropping the rifles and running towards Minzy who in return ran to hide behind Chaerin. All it took was a glare from Chae and Daesung came sulking back to TOP and Bom.

 

 

“Yeah Minji-ah… give Daesungie a warm hug.” Jiyong cheered.

 

 

“Yah..Kwon Jiyong we’re not done yet…” I hit his arm lightly.

 

 

“Oh you really love me babe don’t you. I can die happily now.” He clutched his chest and wiggled his eyebrows at me.

 

 

“You’re not being serious. How can you talk about dying at this time!!”

 

 

“You really make me want to kiss you right now, you know that?” He took off his plaid polo and wiped off all the blood in his hands and face. “Now I’m clean, come here and let me apologize to you.”

 

 

He pulled me in a tight hug and patted my head. I reluctantly leaned on to him. I’m mad but I am happy too that he came back alive. I let out more tears and sobbed on his chest. “Don’t ever do that again, okay?”

 

 

“Okay” he answered.

 

 

I push a bit and looked up at him “Promise me…”

 

 

“Promise.” He smiled. “Eyy…stop crying now.. I’m still alive.” He chuckled threading his hand trough my hair.

 

 

“I hate you so much.” I muttered under my breath, relieved.

 

 

“That’s so sweet. I love you too babe.”

 

---------------------------------

 

The sun was high up in the sky its rays hotly bathing their skin. They can’t stay there any longer. Everything was turning to be hazardous for the group. It was summer and the hot sun in the afternoon proved to be a burden during their entire stay in the rooftop. At times like this all of them would huddle up in the shaded part of the roof top but it wouldn’t be enough. They had to constantly change places in hope to hide their body from the rays.

 

 

They hoped for a rain but it never came. A week without proper food and water, with the weather making it impossibly harder for them the need to find a better place became intense.

 

 

“We checked the elevator and it’s still working, electric supply wasn’t cut off. It will be easier to reach the basement instead of using the stairs.” TOP said.

 

 

“Yeah and it’s full of zombies but don’t worry we locked the fire exit doors and we also cleared the floor where the elevator was.” Jiyong said.

 

 

There was tension in the atmosphere, everyone was scared and they were not sure if their plan will work. Will they be able to escape or will they be eaten alive? Those were the questions playing inside the head of everyone. They were scared but it was better to take a risk than die out of hunger and extreme weather.

 

 

“But the last time we were there it was filled with zombies too. Why are we going there?” Minji said, pertaining to the basement.

 

 

“Cars…we need cars. The car that we used is still there, we can use it to escape. TOP’s car is there too.” Taeyang said. “It’s our only option. We don’t have a choice”

 

 

“How did you manage to clear the halls?” Dara asked. Jiyong beside her glanced at her and spoke.

 

 

“Actually it was not an easy task. You see my shirt was drenched with blood—’’ Jiyong started but was cut off by an overly excited Daesung.

 

 

“But we were good enough to put them down without using bullets. We found a wrench and a few tools down the stairs. We decided it would be better to work quietly plus we need bullets for long range battles. You don’t know how nice it was to kill those fckers by stabbing them with screw drivers in their eyes blood oozing in every part of their head like it was in the----’’

 

 

He stopped when he noticed everyone was giving him a disgusting look, faces pale and mouths hanging open. Jiyong shook his head at his friend’s dumbness. Daesung could be careless at times. He was a big fan of zombie movies and experiencing everything that he saw in the movies in real life made him excited (as creepily as it sounds). He shut his mouth and bit his lip.

 

 

“Please, just spare us the gory details. I feel like vomiting.” Seungri said covering his mouth and holding his stomach.

 

 

“Sorry.” He mumbled and bowed his head apologetically.

 

 

“That’s okay kiddo.” Top said and patted the younger’s back. “You did a good job down there. You took down almost half of them.”

 

 

“Almost half of them??”Minji shrieked in surprise. The rest of them were surprised too. Daesung might look small and funny but he was a real warrior. It was no joke that he took down almost half of the zombies.

 

 

“Well I do a bit of boxing and some martial arts stuff..but I wasn’t really serious in them..wasn’t even that good..” he tried to explain as humbly as he could.

 

 

“I tell you he’s good.” TOP cut him off and winked at Minji. Minji tried her hardest not to roll her eyes. Honestly she was starting to like the poor small-eyed guy. She was just too stubborn to admit it.

 

 

The rest of the plan was laid out to them. Jiyong and Top did most of the planning. The two worked pretty well drafting the plan carefully. There’s no room for mistakes according to them. They reminded everyone to stick together no matter what happen. All of them should be together and no one will be left behind.

 

Once they open the door there was no backing down. They grabbed everything that they can use to protect themselves. Seungri stayed with his mop which was practically glued to him ever since he got it. They told him he can’t kill a zombie with it but he insisted it served its purpose before (shooing zombies).

 

 

Slowly and carefully Top opened the only door separating them from the hall. They said they had cleared the hall but it was better to be cautious. The soft creaking sound of the door echoed across the hallway. It was dead silent that even the smallest and lightest step seemed so loud.

 

 

Top went out first with Bom by her side hands tightly wrapped around Bom’s waist. Seungri manly came next with Chaerin surprisingly behind him. Everyone followed with Jiyong and Dara going out last.

 

 

Jiyong tugged Dara’s hand interlacing their fingers before locking it securely. Dara glanced up at him. “No matter what happen never let go of my hand. Do you understand me?”

 

 

Dara nodded.

 

 

“Answer me.”Jiyong said gripping her hand tighter.

 

 

“Arasseo…” Dara answered smiling at him. Jiyong gave her a comforting smile and kissed the crown of her head.

 

“Here, you have to stab anyone that will go near you within 10 cm radius.” Jiyong slipped a screw driver in Dara’s free hand. “Those aren’t your former officemates. Those will kill you if you ever show a tiny bit of mercy. You have to be strong. You understand me?”

 

 

“I know stop nagging.” She chuckled and leaned in for a kiss but before her lips could even reach Jiyong’s Taeyang suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

 

 

“Seriously you two…ugh….” he muttered annoyed and left immediately mumbling something gibberish somewhere in between ‘I hate being single’ and ‘It, I hate my life.’ The two just giggled but still Jiyong dipped in for a short but sweet kiss before tugging Dara and following the others.

 

.

.

.

.

Their steps were echoing along the hallway, before it was filled with groans coming from the former humans that used to lurk there. At night their groans were louder, from hunger, and intense need of something or someone to feed on. Their steps are cautious making it light as possible, as quiet as possible. But the soles of their shoes made light tapping sound echoing along the hallway, even the light brushing of their clothes sounded unbearably loud.

 

 

One step.

 

 

Two step.

 

 

It’s as if they were counting each and every step they make. Frustratingly the elevator seemed too far. A few turns on the left and right. Everything was painstakingly long. It was quiet…dead quiet that it just heightened their fear. Everything was going out too well, scarily well… when groans were heard from afar. Their eyes widened, looking at each other with fear.

 

 

“I thought you cleared the hall? Then where do those sounds come from?” Minji whispered trying to keep her voice as low as possible fear evident across her face tugging Daesung’s sleeves tighter.

 

 

“We don’t know…we cleared it… we’re sure of it…” TOP said.

 

 

“Then what are those?” Chaerin said.

 

 

The scary sound came nearer. Everyone stood frozen on their spot. The source of the groans that they hear at night was just a few feet away from them. Nothing can compare to the fear they were feeling at the moment.

 

 

There’s no backing out now. They all thought.

 

 

With fear in their heart they still continued walking hands gripping tightly the weapons in their hands.

 

 

“We’re not going to use bullets as much as possible.”  Jiyong reminded them.

 

 

“Well I hate guns.” Top said swinging his bat. “Daesungie better keep that baby of yours for the mean time. Let’s save bullets. We’ll need that later.”

 

 

Daesung pouted looking at the beautiful stainless steel, Smith and Wesson Model 686 that he was holding. He kissed it first before keeping it inside his jacket.

 

 

“Stay safe there baby.” He said patting the area of his jacket where the gun was supposed to be. Minji gave him a glare before huffing forward and leaving him.

 

 

“Taeyangie….” Jiyong eyed Taeyang who was not letting go of his AR-15, the civilian copy of the military M16. He was so fond of big guns that he can’t seem to let it go. Taeyang whined ranting he can’t let go of his big baby. That his life depended on it, that it was his lover when each and every one of them had their own. That–

 

 

“Fine.” He raised his hand feeling defeated letting go of his prized possession and letting it hang on his shoulder. He pulled out a swiss knife instead from one of his vest pockets and played with it in his hands.

 

 

“We cannot make too much noise, it seems like they get stimulated by loud sounds.” Top explained. Everyone nodded showing understanding.

 

 

They continued walking nearing the groaning sound. Taeyang lead them taking cautious steps peeking out first before turning to them and motioning them to follow him. The sound was too loud this time. They know that if they turn to that corner they will meet the monsters who were making those scary sounds.

 

 

 

Taeyang peeked and immediately turned his head towards them, eyes wide and face pale.

 

 

 

“There’s…..a pack.. they’re a pack….” He breathlessly spoke. Their eyes widened in fear.

 

 

“That can’t be…we made sure…we—’’ Daesung exclaimed when suddenly the dreadful thing that they were afraid of appeared behind him. Taeyang fell on the ground surprised. Half of its head was crushed, its jaw was hanging and it was groaning hungrily.

 

 

“Ackkkk!!!!” Minji screeched eyes wide in fear.

 

 

The zombie reached the collar of Daesung’s jacket pulling the guy towards its self. Daesung was too bewildered to react. He was trembling like and his hands and feet just won’t move. He shut his eyes too afraid to see what was going to happen.

 

 

“Ackk…. You … you bastard.. you…you… die… die….”

 

 

Daesung felt like his eardrum was going to burst due to the loud screeching on his ear. Then he felt being hugged. He slowly opened his eyes only to find himself being hugged by no other than…

 

.

.

.

.

 

MINJI.

 

 

She was cursing and screaming directly on his ear while stabbing the zombie on the neck with her screw driver. Call him crazy, stupid or what but he liked the pain of her voice as long as he was being hugged by her. The zombie’s hands finally slipped from his collar letting go of him. Taeyang who finally regained his senses yanked the zombie away. He finished it off by stabbing its head a couple of times.

 

 

 

“Hikh…hmmph…ha…..” Minji sobbed on his shoulder still hugging him. `

 

 

“Aigoo.. my chubby cheeks. Stop crying now.” He soothed the crying girl’s hair and patted her back.

 

 

“Are you stupid? Why did you just stand there? Do you wanna die huh? Do you wanna die?” she sobbed while hitting his shoulders. “You can’t die yet… you just can’t. Do you understand me? I am the only one allowed to kill you.” She said wiping the tears off her cheeks with the palm of her hands. Suddenly she trembled looking down at her hand.

 

Daesung followed her gaze, her fingers were still tightly wrapped around the handle of the screw driver. His heart fluttered, thankful that Minji saved her..she was scared as hell but she still killed the zombie. He felt proud of his chubby cheeks.

 

 

She’s indeed stronger than him.

 

 

He took her hands drenched with dark blood and wiped it clean with his shirt.

 

 

“Arasseo…but don’t do that again okay? That’s dangerous.” He said.

 

 

She nodded in response and everything felt just so right.

 

 

“You cannot die” she repeated. He just smiled.  He took her hand and enclosed it in his squeezing it a little as a response. He had reason now to live so he cannot die. He can’t.

 

--------------------

 

END OF DAY 3

[CONTENTID4]Surround text in your story with these tags to display it here[/CONTENTID4]