Chapter 3 Face the truth..

wedding gift

 

You're P.O.V

“Hwayoung, your mother… she has time until the day after tomorrow.” My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. “What? Ani! I… It... It can’t be. It just can’t be. Ani, please say it isn’t true!” She hugged me tightly, while I was crying into her shoulder. After a while she broke the hug. “What will you do now?” she asked me. “I don't know. If I tell her, than she will worry, not as much about herself as about me. She always worries about me instead of herself, even if she's in such a situation. But she has the right to know. Even though she has the right to know, I can't imagine how I could tell her.” I said still sobbing. “Are you sure you want to tell her?” I looked at the door of my mother's room. Then a strange but good feeling started to grow inside me. I suddenly felt strong, but a trace of guilt flooded trough my body, too. My mom was the only one for me. She always cared about me. She always was on my side, if I needed her. She was all in one: mother, father, big sister, best friend, everything. She brought me up on her own. My father left her even before I was born I think. I don't know anything about him. Every time I would ask my mother about him, she would change the subject, pretend, that she didn't hear or say me, she would tell when time comes, but it never happened until now. But now my mother was dying and I don't think her No.1 thought was to tell me about my father and I couldn't blame her. Her life was more important to me than some , which let my mother alone pregnant. However, I felt like I owed her, so I made a decision. I turned back to Meekyong eonnie and wiped my tears “I won’t tell her. Instead I will make sure these two days are the best of her life.” I said with a little smile. “Ok. Then go to the restroom and freshen up!” She said to me. I obeyed. When I achieved the restroom I looked in the mirror. The reflection showed me a girl with red swollen eyes and dried tears on her cheeks. I the water and splashed some in my face. After that I dried my face and went back to Meekyong eonnie. “Are you ready?” she asked me. “Ye.” breathed in and exhaled all the air which was now in my lungs. “Let’s go.” I said and put on my happiest smile. My mother couldn’t see I was crying. Meekyong eonnie opened the door for me and I stepped in. My mother looked up and smiled a little when she realized it was me who came in. “Hwayoung, it's you.” she said. “Of course, it's me. Who else should come here?” I asked. “Oh no one. I was just surprised, that you came back so soon.” “Yeah. Sure you were.” I said in a teasing voice. She looked up confused. “Did you expect someone special?” Her eyes widened. “What?! Ani! I didn't expect anyone except you.” I started laughing. She looked at me and joined me. 'I will miss her laugh.' I thought, not realizing, that my laugh turned in a smile, which then disappeared. “Is something wrong?” she asked concerned. “What? Oh ani. I just... kind of... passed out.” I said. A tensed atmosphere filled the room. None of us dared to break the awkward silence till I couldn't stand it anymore so I just decided to talk about school. “Ah... Eomma... do you know what?” I asked her as cheerfully as I could. “Ani. What's up?” she asked. “We got our controls in physics back.” “And what are the results?” “I got the first place!” I almost screamed. “Really? Oh, I'm so proud of my baby daughter.” “Eomma. I'm not a baby anymore. I'm 17 already.” I whined. “Ye. You grew up so fast. I didn't even have enough time to enjoy the time with you. When you were little I had to go to work. And now you're busy with school.” A sad smile appeared on her face. “Eomma. You'll have enough time.” I tried to cheer her up. But in my head I knew it would never happen. We'll be never able to spend time together again. 'Oh god. Why do you do that? What did we do to deserve such a punishment? My mother had enough problems in her life. Couldn't you make her happy just once? Let me die instead. I would do anything, if it would save her life and her happiness.' A single tear escaped my eyes and rolled down my cheek. “Omo...Hwayoung, why do you cry?” my mother asked worried. “A. - Ani. It's nothing. I just remembered something.” I lied. “Are you sure you're okay?” “Ye eomma. See?” I wiped away the tears and showed her my best smile, even though it was faked she believed me. “Okay. If you say so. Anyway, which place does Eunjung have?” I was happy she changed the subject, because I didn't know how long I could hold back my tears. “You won't believe it but she again has the last one. She said that she wants to become an actress or a singer, so she doesn't need any of these classes.” I said still not believing, that she meant what she said. “She’s not very smart, but she is very good-looking. I think she’s able to become an artist.” My mother said thinking about it. “Of course she is beautiful, but how can someone be as confident as her and be sure that their future plans will become true. I think you have always to have a ‘Plan B’.” “And what are your plans for the future?” my mother asked me suddenly. “Why do you ask? You know it already. I want to graduate, then get a job, earn money and then move with my family, which consists of you, to some quiet place, where we won’t have any troubles.” I answered without thinking about what will happen in two days. “And what is your ‘Plan B’?” she asked. I could see sadness in her eyes. “What do you mean? I don't need a ‘Plan B’.” I said, afraid of what she’ll say. “You just said everyone needs a ‘Plan B’, including you. What if something will go wrong? What if you won’t find a job or if you’ll be not able to work at a place where it I quiet, because you won’t earn enough money? What if I won’t be able to come with you?” My eyes widened in shock. “Why would be not able to come with me?” I asked her carefully. She sighed and then said: “Hwayoung, it’s time to face the truth. I know that you know, that I don’t have much time…