Chapter 2 The day after tomorrow

wedding gift

 

You're P.O.V

 

My mother was lying on a bed connected to some machines and cables. “Eomma!” I shouted my tears started pouring from my eyes like rain on a stormy night. I ran to my mother and fell on my knees beside her bed crying and begging her to wake up. But once again I didn’t get an answer. “Eomma! Eomma wake up, please! Open your eyes. Look it's me Kim Hwayoung. Eomma wake up! Please don't leave me. Eomma!” I felt strong arms grabbing my shoulders and lifting me. I struggled and screamed even more. Then I felt something pricking me and I became sleepy.

When I woke up I found myself lying on a bed. My eyes roamed through the room. 'Where am I and what happened?' I stood up but I felt dizzy so I had to sit down. I stood up again after I felt better and walked towards the door. I walked through the corridors looking for someone who could help me. I knew meanwhile that I was in a hospital but I didn't know what I was doing here. Then I heard some voices. I walked in the direction where the voices came from gladly to have found someone. When I came closer to the voices I could hear what they were talking about and froze when I heard my mother’s name. “...she'll survive.” a manly voice said. “Is there really nothing we can do, doctor?” This time it was a woman. 'These voices they sound so familiar.' I thought. “I'm sorry but we did all we could. I'll say it to her daughter later.” “Doctor...” the woman hesitated. “Wae?” “May I do it? I mean may I tell it to Hwayoung? I feel pity for her. She's so young and has no parents by her side.” “Ye, of course you...” I didn't listen to the rest of their conversation. I leaned against the wall and slid down. The pictures of what happened earlier rushed through my mind and I cried sobbing silently. 'Eomma why did you leave me alone?' “Hwayoung?!” a voice asked shocked. I ignored it. I saw of the corner of my eyes that someone sat beside me and laid an arm around my shoulders. I looked at the person and recognized the woman from the reception. I hid my face in her chest and cried. “Why did she leave me? I had no one but her. Why did she leave me here alone?” I repeated that sentence again and again. She tried to comfort me by softly patting my shoulder and saying something like: “Shhh... Everything will be okay. Shhh...” “By the way my name is Meekyong”, she added quietly. We sat there like that for circa 20 minutes but for me it was like eternity. Then I asked: “When should I begin to organize the funeral?” The nurse looked at me confused. “Why would you have to organize a funeral?” “Why wouldn't I? Should I let my mother’s body here?! Are you mad?!” “Hwa Young why you think your mother is dead?” she asked me. At first I thought it’s some crazy joke of her, but then I realized that her expression was totally serious. My eyes widened. “Do you mean… My… But… No…But the doctor…but…but…and you… It can’t be true. It just can’t.” “Your mother is alive.” “Where is she? WHERE IS SHE?!?!” I yelled at her even I didn't want to but it just came out like this. “Hwayoung. You need to know something first.” I stopped abruptly and turned to face her again. “What do I need to know?” I asked her apprehensively. “Your mother. She's ill.” “I know that she –” And then all made sense. “But she said that the doctor assured her everything would be okay. “ Either the doctor made something wrong or she didn't want you to know. Anyway your mother is seriously ill. And I’m sorry to say this but –” “You can’t help her anymore?” I finished her sentence. “I really am sorry.” “It isn’t your fault. Can I see her now?” I wanted to see her so badly. “Ye of course. But- please be carefully with what you say.” “Ye.” Then I followed her to the same room I was earlier, when found my mother. “Here we are.” “Gamsahamnida eonnie.” I said bowing a little. I opened the door and went to the person who cared for me since I was born. She lay there unconsciously. Fear wanted to take over me but I could control myself just in time. I took her hand in mine and almost dropped it, because it was as cold as dead. After I get used to the unusual cold hand I it. I sat there looking at her for a half-hour an then she move and slowly blinked her eyes a few times. “Eomma! You’re awake.” I cried. “Hwayoung? Is that you?” she asked me uncertainly “Ye, eomma it’s me. Eomma wait a moment okay? I’ll be right back” I said her and rushed out of the room and looked for the nurse running through the corridors an calling her. “Eonnie! Eonnie, where are you?” Finally I found her and told her my mom was awake. She hurried to my mother’s room. And there she was sitting in the bed and looking around confused. “Why am I here?” she asked the two of us. “Eomma you…” I didn’t know what to say so I just looked at eonnie questioningly. “ out and your daughter called the ambulance.” She finished my sentence. I hated lying and that’s probably the reason why I can’t lie. But this time it was a need. So I just tried to do my best and pretended I didn’t know what was going on. “Eomma what happened at home? Why did you faint?” I asked as cluelessly as possible. My mother looked at me and I could swear I saw sadness in her eyes even though she smiled. I knew she faked it but I just took what I got. “I just didn’t eat much. But now I’m okay, so I can go home, can’t I?” “Sorry Mrs. Kim but we have to keep you here to observe you and to prevent something like that to happen in the future.” “But I just didn’t eat. That’s all.” “I’m sorry, but that’s the doctor’s instruction.” eonnie said. “Eomma, if the doctor says so then you have to obey.” My mother sighed and gave in. “That’s the right decision, Mrs. Kim. Now I have to talk to your daughter if you don’t mind.” “Of course.” “Are you sure you’ll be okay eomma?” I asked worried. I didn’t want to leave her alone anymore even for a second. “Don’t worry. I’m in a hospital, remember? Here can’t happen anything.” “You’re right. But if you do need anything then just push this button.” Meekyong eonnie showed her the button and went with me out of the room. “What’s up, eonnie?” “Hwayoung, your mother… she has time until the day after tomorrow.”