The Plan and the Brother

Your Highness

 

“Mesmerizing, isn’t it?” Luhan said, taking a sip of his drink. “I find the best people to sing at my bar.” Kai nodded in agreement, still keeping his eyes on Ommie. Each phrase she sang entered Kai’s ears and put him in a trance for mere moments…he realized the room became quite silent just to hear her. As the song ended, she tilted her head down as a sign of completion. A round of applause was heard as she slowly walked of the stage. “Maybe you can meet her.” Luhan added, signaling to the stage.

                                “Maybe when I’m finished with my work.” Kai said, smirking, but inside feeling lost, knowing he’d have to put his life aside to save another…

                                “Your…work?” Luhan asked.

                                Kai almost forgot to tell him about his plan, “Ah…yes my work. This involves you.” Kai saw Luhan’s eyebrows raise, “Can you leave the bar for a while?”

                                “Very funny. I’m the boss. What could you possibly need me for? This bar is my life and my pay check.” Luhan laughed.

                                “I can get you any amount of money you want; I just really need your help.” Kai figured money might be involved. Anything he needed, he could get.

                                Kai could tell Luhan was contemplating the offer. “What do you need me for?” Luhan asked, swirling the ice around his almost empty drink. “I mean, I guess I could leave it to my right-hand-man and give him half the profits. But it all depends what you need me for.” Luhan’s demeanor changed from outgoing and bubbly to stern and inquisitive.

                                Kai leaned in so no one would hear, though he was sure no one was eaves-dropping on conversations in the first place, “Have you heard of the 12 powers? Why we’re here?”

                                “Somewhat. To keep the Earth’s balance, right?” Luhan answered.

                                “That’s only the gist of it. Yes, the Earth’s balance requires us, but when one of us decides to over-use our powers for useless reasons over and over…things happen. Did you know it was originally the 11 powers?” Kai didn’t want to explain the history of it all just yet.

                                “Hm. No, I didn’t. That’s odd. I wonder what power was added. But wait…why do you need me? Let’s…get to the point.” Kai could tell Luhan’s thoughts were getting a little rustled.

                                “I’ve changed too many events. Events that were supposed to happen. I heard that by doing this…I’m shortening the life span of the Earth itself. I’m taking pieces out of life that should be in the puzzle.” Kai tried to explain.

                                “And that matters why…?”

                                Kai tried his best to explain, “Let’s say you bought a jigsaw puzzle. Huge. 1,000 pieces. It’ll take you a while until you finish it, right? But what if you take out all the pieces you don’t find singularly appealing? You can’t finish the puzzle. Now what I’m saying is that I’ve stopped things that should’ve happened. I’ve taken things out I didn’t like. I can’t bring them back unless I travel to before it happened. I can bring the event back….not the lives lost…I’ve taken out too many pieces…the puzzle will be thrown away.” Kai looked somber as he saw the reality in his words.

                                Luhan bit his lip, “The world will end. In every era.” He finally understood. Kai nodded. “So…you need us…because…”

                                “We all keep the world in balance. We’re the only ones who can restore it.” He finished Luhan’s sentence. “I can’t do this by myself.” Luhan understood the sullen look on Kai’s face. “I’m hurting the only one in my family that’s left…”

                                                                                ________________

                                                                                TAO

                                                                Tao practiced diligently in his dojo, alone. He didn’t need anyone whatsoever. He was fine by himself, and none of his brother’s nonsense would change him.

The eclipse? What significance did that hold? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I’m sick and tired of following Kai. He took a piece of me that I’ll never get back.

Tao walked to the back of his dojo and faced the other side. He ran to the middle and did a high kick, surpassing any martial arts that Kai had ever learned. His palms slashed the air as his body swooned closer to the ground. Tao side-swiped the wood flooring like it was nothing. His high-flying, 2-spin kicks were amusement.

He remembered it like it was yesterday. When him and Kai were playing outside, they’d always act like ninja’s, or Shaolin warriors. Kai had always given up. With his teleporting powers, Kai could surprise Tao, but Tao controlled time, so that his movements hit the exact same time Kai moved. It was exceptional.

Tao did a somersault and grabbed his bamboo training pole. He twirled it threw the air, making loud whistling sounds that satisfied his ears. He had lain down for a moment just to throw his stick to the side. He picked himself up again by kicking his legs out and raising his body, using his back force.

“Tao, how do you do that?” Kai used to ask.

“Do what? This?” Tao twirled the stick in front of Kai’s face.

“Yeah! It’s so cool. Can you teach me?” Kai wasn’t that much older than him, but he was still very curious about his talented little brother.

“Maybe some other time.” This was always Tao’s answer. Kai always walked away in disappointment.

Tao continued with an aerial, and in turn, picked up his sword. He gracefully cut the wind between him and the sword.

“Ouch! Tao! Why did you do that? Stupid brat!” Kai’s arm bled through his ripped shirt.

“I-I’m sorry, Kai…I just wanted to…I though you wanted to see what I could…,” tears fell from Tao’s eyes.

“Just stop it. It’s not cute anymore.” Kai walked off, holding arm in pain.

Tao flew in the air, doing a sideways pinwheel, landing perfectly on his feet, already on guard with his sword on hand.

“It’s never meant to be cute.” Tao said silently to himself as he put his sword in his sheath.

Tao side-swiped the ground two times, and kicked higher than he had ever kicked. Dust went flying as he knocked down the oriental paper lamp Kai made him.

“Here Tao! I made it for you.” Kai handed Tao a yellow lamp with red splattered across it.

“Thank you…” Tao muttered, still looking at Kai’s scar.

He never wanted to use his abilities. He could do just fine with his martial arts. He was a freak and he was okay with that. “Tao, are we having class today?” A little boy waddled into his training room, all ready for practice.

Tao smiled, “Yes, but not with me today. I’m going home early.” He rustled the boy’s hair.

“Is your arm hurting again?” The boy innocently asked, “Is that why you wear those bandages on your arms?”

Tao gently grinned, “I’m okay. Go to your lesson now. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He watched the little boy grin back at him and run out the door. Tao made sure no one was in sight as he unwrapped his bandages, revealing dark pink splotches over his left forearm. They hurt to the touch and weren’t pleasant to see. He knew why they were there, how long he had left, and how he could stop it…but he knew his brother wasn’t that gracious. He was never kind or caring.

Tao dropped his bandages on the floor and punched the padded wall. “I’m not your toy,” Tao said between punches, “I never will be. You can’t control me.” Kicks, “I don’t want to see the face of the sorry excuse I call my brother ever around here or I swear I’ll…” Tao lost control of the power in his right arm and felt a pang of pain fly up his forearm. He fell to the floor in heavy breaths, clasping his hand over his pulsating arm. “Stop…” he whispered, as time stopped before him. It was the only time he could be alone. The only time he could sit and wonder whatever happened to the one he loved. The one he called his brother.