Kai

Your Highness

 

                                The man stepped out of the old car, cane in hand and top-hat not forgotten. The fog was riding on his coattails, as well as the empty street he walked on, which was only lit by a few dim street lights. No one had ever noticed him. And that was his intention. He threw his cane to the side of the road. It disappeared into the fog. He did the same with his hat, and smirked. He checked his pocket-watch anxiously. It was almost time.

                                He quickly unfastened the buttons on his coat, and threw it off of him. Right then, the rain started to pour. The water droplets hit his porcelain skin perfectly. The man started to move slower in-between the droplets, causing them to move slower as well. This man was no ordinary man—he could travel through time and all the matter around it himself. This task was easy, but his plan to use his “gift” was risky. He needed 11 more people. This man was going to perform an eclipse. But like him, this eclipse was not ordinary. It required the other 11 powers.

                                Now this man, the one who could slow down time as well as travel through it, was known for his time traveling. You cannot travel without having the ability to stop time itself.

                                The man let the rain drops fall and flood the street as he traveled back into time. His car turned into a carriage, originally pulled by horses. His foot skimmed across the flooded waters, and from there he traveled back to the 20’s, and then back again. He loved testing his powers, but this time, he needed to practice. 

                                Kai was the elder of the children in the family. He had a younger brother named Tao, who followed his every move. Kai always knew he was different. He never knew though, that he could move himself through time and space, without anyone noticing, or caring. That was a quality. To get away from the world was its best feature. Exploring each continent, one era at a time.

                                He primarily lived in the 20’s. All around him were brick roads, dim street lights, coattails and pocket-watches. Nothing was more antique than the land he walked on every day. The 20’s gave him a sense of completion. Although Kai knew that there would be technology enhancements, he did not want to experience them. He lived a simpler life among books, violins, and tap shoes. Walking at night was a pleasure, which was something you could never do in the future years of say, 2012. He loved the safety, the life, the music, the style. Nothing was out of place. Nothing except for his brother.

                                Sometimes, when Kai travels, he forgets what era he was really born in. He doesn’t age, either. Kai didn’t know if that was an upside, or a downside. His looks remained the same—a carbon copy of his mother. Her wide nose, full lips, and almond eyes were a haunting blessing he couldn’t remove. The mirror was troubling to look at. Kai never knew why he was given such power, but he never asked, either. He was quiet, and accepted what he was granted. His family understood.

                                __________________

                                There were books thrown every which way. It was the only way Kai could extract information. Nothing was as authentic as a book. He couldn’t grasp the information stuck inside an iPod. He had to feel the page, like the words were being pulled into the ridges of his fingertips. These books would tell him what he needed.

                                Page one. The Eleven Powers.

                                Flight. The man to control this attribute has the ability to make any object soar threw the air. Stronger than wind, weaker than telekinesis.

                                Telekinesis. The man to control this attribute has the ability to make any object move in any direction he wants. Must have direct energy to the object at all times. Stronger than wind and flight.

                                Frost. The man to control this attribute has the ability to cast a sheet of frost/ice across anything. Will continue to stay frozen until caster has let his energy go. Stronger than water.

                                Earth. The man to control this attribute has the ability to move the earth/ground around him. Can create natural disasters and is one of the most powerful abilities.

                                Fire. The man to control this attribute has the ability to create any type of flame. The man can cast any amount of fire onto whatever they want.

                                Water. The man to control this attribute has the ability to cast water anywhere. Can create some natural disasters as well, including waves.

                                Healing. The man to control this attribute has the ability to heal any wound or physical drawback. Can bring a dead man back to life within the hour the man died. One of the most powerful abilities.

                                Time control. The man to control this attribute can stop time whenever he pleases. The brother of teleportation. One of the most powerful abilities.

                                Light. The man to control this attribute can control any source of light. Even the sun itself. One of the powerful abilities.

                                Air. The man to control this attribute can move anything with the wind from his energy.

                                Teleportation. The man to control this attribute can move to any era at any time by the blink of an eye. The brother of time control. One of the most powerful abilities.

                                Lightning. The man to control this attribute can cast lightning anywhere with a movement of his hand.

                                Kai read the repetitive text, and tried to understand all the powers in full. He read all the books on each ability, and he knew of their extent. His head was filled with knowledge, and his wits were on their end from overload. Kai held his head with his hand and threw the last book down. His papers filled with notes were crowding his old wooden desk. He noticed it was getting darker outside, and it made Kai weary. His eyes fluttered, and so did his consciousness.

                                                                ______________

                                “Kai? What are you doing?” Tao asked. He was only four. He asked many questions.

                                Kai looked at his little brother and smiled. He closed his eyes for a moment and ended up behind him, “Whoa!” Tao said in amazement, “How did you do that?!”

                                “I’m not too sure…I just…can I guess.” Kai answered.

                                “Can you teach me? Please?” Tao gave him the pleading eyes, and Kai gave in.

                                “Alright, I guess I can teach you.” Tao’s face lit up as he skipped toward where Kai was walking, his black hair in his eyes. “Now, you have to stand still. Close your eyes. Shut them really hard. Okay, now be really quiet.” Kai slowly backed away from Tao and started to dash off.

                                Tao heard Kai’s footsteps, and knew he was tricking him, “Kai, wait!” Tao yelled once more, “STOP!” Just then everything was still. Not just calm. But still. Kai stopped, shifted toward Tao, and looked at the sky.

                                “What…what did you do?” Kai was amazed. The birds above him did not move.

                                Tao looked at his hands with wide eyes, “I don’t know…”

                                Kai wondered if they were teleporting, but he realized that was not the case. They were not moving. They were completely still. “Tao…I think you can control…time…” Kai examined the sky again, and knew that his accusation was true.

                                “Go.” Tao said, surprising Kai. At that moment, everything around them started to move again. Tao smiled and looked at his hands, “I did it!” He felt more accomplished than surprised, now.

                                “Yeah…you did…” Kai turned around with a disappointed look on his face. He didn’t know why he felt that way, but yet a pang of jealousy still ran up his spine…

                                                                ________________

                                Kai sprang up from his seat, snapping out of his dream. The dream that was a memory. Kai ran his fingers through his hair and sighed—he hated reliving the past, yet he always lived it in. He stood up, and pushed his chair in, remembering his manners. He cleaned up his workspace, put his papers in his suitcase, and walked out of the library. His footsteps echoed in the hallway as he walked, causing him to walk softer.

                                I miss Tao…so much…

                                Kai would give anything to restore him and his only brother’s relationship. He thought the only way to do this would be...well he didn’t exactly know. He just knew he had to get his brother back. He had to give him every memory he had stolen from him…after all, he was the only family he had left. He caused Tao’s happy and determined attitude to a sour and negative outlook on life.  He stayed in a dojo, learning and teaching martial arts. It was his only release before…

                                Kai was distracted by his thoughts, and ran into a man walking the opposite direction. “Oh my, excuse me…I’m in quite the rush.” Kai apologized as the  “old man” smiled. The man walked around Kai without saying a word. Kai wished people were that gracious in the future.

                                                                ____________

                                “Greetings, Kai!” The man at the tavern said to Kai as he walked in with his trench coat collar popped to cover his face from the wind. The bar tender leaned against the counter with his elbows resting, “What brings you here today? Care for a drink?” Kai nodded his head, and ordered a ruby-red drink.

                                “Right away, mister.” The bartender quickly prepared his drink.

                                Kai tapped his fingers on the counter to the beat of the band playing in the back. He mumbled the lyrics of the song under his breath, breaking away from reality. Music always had this effect on him…like teleportation, but…normal. He’d always wished to be somewhat normal. But he wasn’t…he would live like this forever…

                                “Here’s your drink. Min-Jun had to get his break in sooner or later.” A girl with dangerously long hair and a plain face gave Kai his drink. She was roughly his age, and looked like she was sleep deprived. “So how are you on this exciting night?” she came around the corner of the bar and sat on a stool next to Kai.

                                Kai was taken aback by her friendliness, but wanted to keep the conversation going, “I’m doing quite well. I was just at the library, doing some research.”

                                “Looks like we have one intellectual man in this place…” she rolled her eyes and smiled, “Oh my, I’ve seemed to forgotten my manners. My name is Jae!” she held out her hand and straightened her posture. Her eyes squinted when she smiled.

                                “I’m not much for formal greetings,” Kai took a sip of his drink, “but I’m one for making exceptions.” He shook her hand for a couple seconds, and then returned to looking at his drink, stirring it every which way with a mixer straw.

                                “Respect…” Kai mumbled under his breath.

                                “What was that?” Jae asked.

                                Kai snapped out of his thinking and looked at Jae, “Your name. It means respect.” He gave her a dry smile.

                                Jae slouched, “I don’t get much of it…”

                                “That’s a shame.” Kai remembered the times his dad hit his mother, “I’m sorry.”

                                Jae kept looking at the floor, “It’s okay. I deal with it one way or another…”

                                “You shouldn’t have to. Demand respect. You have authority. Use it.” Kai sipped his drink. He thought about what he said, and turned to Jae, correcting himself, “I didn’t mean it like that, I just meant…” he couldn’t get the words out. He couldn’t explain for his life. It reminded him of the time he had to explain to Tao why their family had to move away. He couldn’t think of the right words. All he did was sound like an angry older brother.

                                She was silent for a couple seconds, until she heard a voice from across the room, “Jae! I want four of those whiskey things for me and my fellas! Don’t be slow!” Jae answered them and bid Kai ado for a moment. Kai watched her as she prepared the liquor.  She wore a silver flapper dress and a silver headband, obviously the uniform of the bar. It swished around her every time she walked, and it amused everyone in the bar.

                                Kai looked at the other waitresses, prancing around and mingling with bar-goers. They packed on the rouge and eye shadow and lipstick. He looked back at Jae and saw the differences immediately. She didn’t wear any makeup. She was genuinely friendly, and didn’t prance around like a doe in a field of flowers.

                                A man walked behind her, scaring her half to death. She spilled the drink on her dress. “Oh look what you did to our drinks, ya dumb broad!” he pointed at her face, his finger not more than an inch away from her nose.

                                She saw the glass next to her feet, and bent over to pick it up. “How about a little consolation prize, eh?” the man reached his hand around the girl, almost touching her dress.

                                Kai closed his eyes and appeared behind Jae, and in front of the man. The man touched Kai’s leg instead of his original target.

                                “You might want to watch who you touch there, bud.” Kai grabbed the man’s hand and twisted under it, and pinned him against the shelves. “I don’t want to see you touching anyone like that, okay?” He pressed harder on the man, waiting for a reply.

                                “Y-yes, of course not.” The man’s words stumbled together, leaving his mouth as frightened as he was.

                                “Good,” Kai released his grip, “now get the hell out of this bar.”

                                Kai watched as the man and his friends scurried out of the bar like frightened animals, with their tails under their legs. He turned around to see Jae, holding the glass she dropped, and wide open, “How did you…? What was…did you? Huh?” she mumbled, still in shock. “You’re…really fast!” she finally got it out.

                                He was relieved she didn’t sense anything unusual, “I like to run. I’m pretty speedy, you could say.” He smirked and giggled nervously.

                                “Well…thank you so much.  Those guys do the same thing every day. It’s never happened to me, but…it has to the other girls.” She explained.

                                Kai sighed and looked displeased, “Men.” That summed it up.

                                “You’re a man too! Don’t be so naïve.” Jae chuckled nervously, “Breaking hearts is a man’s job. Women just get tangled up in it.” She took a washcloth and rubbed the liquid off her dress. “What a shame. This dress is ruined…”

                                “I’m sure it’ll be fine if you give it to a dry cleaner.” Kai reassured her.

                                Jae looked at him funny, “You think I have money for that? Food. That is all I need in this life.” She paused and put the rag down, “Min-Jun!”

                                Her boss came running in, “Yes, Miss Jae?”

                                She pointed to the mess, “This needs to be cleaned. I won’t have another uniform.”

                                Kai heard Jae and her boss argue over pricing and money in general. He didn’t want to interrupt, but he had to pay for his drink. He rummaged through his wallet and pulled out $80 dollars and set it on the counter next to Jae. It would be enough. He slowly clasped his wallet shut and walked out the door, into the chill night. Then he closed his eyes…

                                                                ___________

                                “Kai?” Tao shook his older brother, and woke him up.

                                “What do you want…?” Kai was irritated. He wanted his sleep.

                                “Um…” Tao hesitated, “can I…”

                                “Come on, spit it out…” Kai was getting inpatient, and would love to go back to bed. The rain pitter-pattered on the window, slowly lulling him back to sleep each second.

                                “Can I sleep with you tonight? The lightning is really scary and…” Tao stopped as he heard Kai snore. Without another word, Tao gently lifted the covers and slid beside Kai. His head snuggled against Kai’s shirt as he said, “I love you, Kai.” Kai wrapped his arm around his little brother, giving him the protection he deserved.