A Duty

Your Highness

 

Kai woke up to the sound of his neighbors underneath of him. They had always caused quite a commotion every morning…the screaming, the pounding on the walls, and the slamming of doors. Over all, it was a good alarm. His hair was a mess, as well as his attire from sleeping in the same clothes he had worn last night.

                                He was slightly glad that his neighbors had decided to argue so early. He had a long day ahead of him, so starting at 5:00 AM wasn’t a bad idea. Kai went through the motions of an early morning like usual—bath, clothes, breakfast…saying hi to the arguing neighbors. But today he needed to get serious. He needed to know how to find the other ten powers. He thought of checking the library again. Maybe asking for some assistance. It wasn’t much, but it was a start. A start of something he couldn’t imagine finishing…

                                                                                ____________________

                                Kai stood in front of a tall, vast, brick building, taking in every ounce of history that thing had went through. It was a slightly cold and musty day…he figured some lights would be shining through the dusty windows. But it was black. He took a few steps and opened the door, hearing the creaks of the old door hinges as if it hadn’t been opened in years. As he closed the door behind him, the entrance hallway was pitch black. Kai decided to spare the creepy feeling and just travel to the next door into the library.

                                The second door opened with ease, contrary to the first one. And inside were several chandeliers with candles that went well with the draping crimson curtains. The atmosphere was warm and grandeur. Overbearing, in a sense. Over to his right, he saw a man sitting in the receptionist desk, with his feet propped up on the desk, a book in hand. He had shaggy, light-red hair, with thick rimmed glasses. His stare looked deep into the book, as if he was living inside the book’s fantasy. The man obviously didn’t see Kai.

                                Kai walked up to the desk and tapped his fingers across the polished wood, hoping to catch this man’s attention. “Uh…hello? I need some help looking for a book.” Kai said, tapping louder, still waiting for the man’s response.

                                Still nothing. Kai rolled his eyes impatiently and kicked the desk, which made a loud noise, considering the acoustics in the room. The receptionist jumped and dropped his book and immediately took his feet from the desk. He looked up at Kai and scrambled down to get his books. “O-oh my…I’m so sorry! This book was just so great I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it!” He giggled as he pushed his glasses higher towards his nose. “Ahh…so yes! What would you like to find?” As the receptionist stood straighter, Kai could see he was extremely tall with a lanky physique.

                                “I’d like to find a book on the ancient myths of the 12 powers, please. I’ve looked through many different books, but—“ Kai was cut off by the receptionist, whose face was gleaming.

                                “Oh! Yes! I know the perfect book! Wait at one of those tables. I’ll be back very soon. “ The man clasped his hands together, smiled, and trotted off into the dark halls between the bookshelves. Kai took a seat at the nearest table, for fear he’d get lost if he tried to find another. He stared into the lines of the wood, tracing his fingernail over them. He glanced a little above his fingertips and saw a marking. Probably etched in the wood with some scissors. It looked like fire. Usually he had seen other markings on desks…most likely a name or a cuss word. But this marking was just…abnormally strange…

                                “I’m back!” The man whistled from behind Kai. He plopped a book onto the desk that was as thick as an old encyclopedia. The dust rose into the air and made Kai cough, waving the air hoping to find clean oxygen amongst the dust. Kai looked at the front cover: perfectly stitched leather with engravings of 12 markings on the front. He ran his hand over the top and proceeded to read what was inside.

                                “So…why do you want to know about the powers?” The man took a seat next to Kai and stared at him, waiting for an answer.

                                Kai hesitated, “Um…well…I want to find them.” Crazy enough, he wanted to be honest.

                                The receptionists eyes lit up and his mouth was agape, “You believe in that?!”

                                Kai knew his idea would seem crazy, “Yes…it’s quite weird, right?”

                                The man scooted his chair closer to Kai and looked around, almost as if he was checking to make sure no one else was around, “I thought so too! But I believe in them! They have to be real!” He smiled, “Wow, I didn’t know someone else believed in it…this is great! Why do you need to find them?”

                                Kai contemplated telling him…he didn’t want to give out his crazy, far-fetched plan to a stranger, “I just need to find them.” It was blunt, but good enough.

                                “I know just who you should see. Have you been to the wood-maker about a block down the street from here?” He pointed as if he knew the directions by heart. “Just take a right from the library, walk to the next corner, turn right there, and keep going until you find a large sign that says ‘Mogsu’s Crafter’. Tell him Chanyeol sent you.”

                                Kai chuckled to himself, knowing the directions would be useless. Teleporting was quite the leisure…”Okay, thank you  Chanyeol.” He held out a hand to greet him.

                                “Nice to meet you…” Chanyeol waited for a name.

                                “Kai.” Kai said as Chanyeol grasped his hand. Kai looked at the handshake receiver’s arm. It was covered in several dark spots that almost looked like burn wounds. And that they were fresh…Chanyeol quickly slid his blue sleeve down to his wrist, concealing the discomfort. “Thank you for all your help.” He smirked and stood up from his seat.

                                “You’re welcome! I hope to see you again soon!” Chanyeol waved and plastered a wide grin on his face. Kai waved back, turned around, and didn’t hesitate to teleport outside.

                                                                                _________________

                                The sign “Mogsu’s Crafter” protruded into the street. It was painted with a deep blue in delicate script. The sign was worn, but that added to the character. A small bell was above the door—there to greet customers as they walked in. Kai showed no hesitation, opening the door to reveal a small, two room house. The first room had a small working desk with little knick knacks on perfectly constructed shelves. There was a door across the room.

                                “Hello, welcome to Mogsu’s! May I be of some assistance?” A short, scrawny man with wood shavings all over him made his way to Kai.

                                Kai looked around for a few moments until answering, “Yes, is Mogsu here?”

                                “Yes he is. I will tell him you’re here.” The man bowed and shuffled to the door. Kai heard him speak to Mogsu, “There is a man here that wishes to speak to you.” Kai heard a grown as the man came back to him.

                                “I’m sure you know where to go.” He smiled and directed him towards the open door. The faint scent of incense wafted from the doorway. The room looked almost identical, if you got rid of the antique table with sitting pillows. Mogsu sat, legs-crossed, and looked up at Kai with a straight face.

                                “Come. Sit!” Mogsu gestured toward the blue pillow. Kai took a seat and bowed to the man.

                                “My secretary says you needed to speak with me. I’m very busy at the moment. What is it you must tell me?” Mogsu his beard. He seemed to be a stubborn old man, but definitely not senile.

                                “Chanyeol sent me here. He said you were the one I needed to talk to.” Kai replied firmly.

                                “Ah yes…the fidgety librarian…why would he tell you to come here? What is there that I know more than a library?” Mogsu laughed under his breath.

                                “You apparently know a lot of things. Not just things in general, but specifically the 12 powers.” Kai assumed he should be straightforward with a stubborn man.

                                Mogsu broke out in laughter, “Oh you foolish boy. Looking for adventure? They are myths. Just myths. Stupid boy…” he continued to laugh.

                                Kai scoffed, “Then…shall I be called a living myth?” he was hooked into Mogsu’s stare and transported behind him.

                                Mogsu stopped laughing and slowly looked over his shoulder, “So. You’re one of them I see. Now take a seat and I’ll tell you want you need to know.”

                                Kai walked back to his seat, just to be spiteful. “I want to know how to find them. I need them.”

                                The old man sighed, “I assume you’re going to pursue a long journey. Am I right, Kai? I can see it in your eyes. You’ve realized your burden. These powers…they’re a beautiful disaster…you’re the only one who can find them, Kai. I’ll help you. I have little time left, but I will help you as long as I can.” He took a sip of tea and began again, “I suggest you find the one with telekinesis first. This will help you through many obstacles…but where to find him…” he took another sip as he tried to recall his memory.

                                “Is there a book that can help you remember?” Kai suggested.

                                Mogsu snapped his fingers, “Why yes! As a matter of fact I do.” He pulled out a large stack of papers with a thin cover. Mogsu pushed it towards Kai, “Page 793.”

                                Kai took the book and carefully opened to the desired page and saw telekinesis. The first age was hardly legible, for there were 4 numbers written across the page in bright red paint: 2060. “What do these numbers mean?”

                                He glanced at the book, “Oh, that. That’s the date you can find him in. I forgot I put that there.” Mogsu chuckled at his fading memory.

                                Kai had never been to 2060 before. He preferred the past…not as many deaths. Nicer people. Lowers costs for items…”So I have to go there? Where is he?”

                                “Japan, if I remember correctly.”

                                Kai had never been to Japan either…”I see…shall I come back when I find him?”

                                Mogsu drank the last of his tea and wiped his mouth, “If you find him, he is the key to finding other members. Good luck. Come back any time you need help. Just hope I am here.” He ushered him out the door.

                                Kai thought the gesture was sudden, “Are you sure this is the right time?” he worriedly said.

                                “I am old, but I don’t forget these kinds of things. Now leave. You don’t have much time.”

                                As he teleported outside, he wondered where he would find him…what he would do. Suddenly the wind blew, picking up dust and debris. Kai shielded his face with his hand. As the wind died down, he felt a piece of paper in his palm. He turned it over to reveal a message, “He will come to you.”

                                “Kai!” He heard a female voice coming from his left. He turned toward the voice to see Jae running in his direction. She wasn’t wearing her uniform from the bar. She looked fresh and beautiful and…

                                “Oh. Hi Jae. How are you?” he waved at her and smiled. A real smile.

                                She stopped in front of him and flipped her hair back over her shoulder, “I’m pretty good. Thank you for the other day…it happens quite a bit. No one stands up for me. Except the boss, when he decides to man up…” she giggled and looked at Kai.

                                “Oh, you’re welcome!”

                                “So…where are you headed?” She asked, putting her hands on her hips.

                                “Well…” Kai put his fingers through his hair, “I have some errands to run…how about I contact you later? I’ll come by the bar tonight.” Kai said, trying to get on with his business.

                                Jae looked slightly disappointed, “Oh…okay! I’ll see you I guess! Thank you for the tip as well!” She smiled. Her face lit up. Kai turned around to walk to the nearest corner and teleport without a soul seeing him. He quickly teleported when—“Oh! Wait, Kai!” The hand on his wrist became cold as the two transported into something Kai might not ever get to explain.