2060

Your Highness

 

                                Kai felt his eyes open slower than he wanted, knowing what he had just done. How could he be so stupid? He knew he should’ve went back to his apartment…he couldn’t risk it…but this time he did, and it ended up being a terrible decision. He took a big gulp and turned around. There in front of him was a speechless girl as white as a ghost; mouth open, eyes wide, and hands wringing. He didn’t know what to say. Was there really anything he could say?

                                “Um…uh…” he managed to stutter a few intelligible noises before the girl spoke up for him.

                                “How in the HELL did you do that and what and how…I don’t even…” Jae threw her hands in the air, “Where am I?! Take me home! What’s happening?!”

                                Kai put his hands on her shoulders to calm her down, “Shh…you’re going to cause a stir…”

                                Jae quickly pushed his hands off of her, “Stir? STIR?! Of course I want to cause a stir! What in the name of Christ my lord did you do?!” her expression was stern. Kai knew she meant business. Kai didn’t speak for a while. He stared into Jae’s angry black eyes. “Oh forget it! I’m going back to the tavern! One of the customers must’ve slipped something in my drink…am I dreaming? Oh my…I need to leave…” she started to walk off until Kai grabbed her shoulder.

                                “Wait! We aren’t near the tavern…you weren’t drugged, or dreaming…in fact, I wish you were…” Kai softly said, knowing this could ruin his whole plan. One word about a magic teleporting man would really cause an uproar. He figured he’d only answer the questions she would ask, careful not to give out any vital information.

                                “Then what is going on!” Jae demanded. Her words weren’t as loud as they were. She crossed her arms.

                                Kai sighed, put his hands in his pockets and tilted his head to the ground, “I’m different than people you’re used to…”

                                “I get that already! You’re not a slob like the guys at the bar!”

                                “Slob or not, that’s not what I mean. I can do things…differently.”

                                Jae cocked an eyebrow, “What? I’m not sure I follow. Are you some sort of Houdini?”

                                Kai smirked and laughed nervously, “Something like that…except my tricks are real.”

                                Jae still had a puzzled look, “Okay, just tell me bluntly.”

                                Kai was surprised by her forwardness, “I can teleport.”

                                They both gazed at each other for some time. No one broke eye contact, and both expressions were rock solid. Jae was blank, and Kai looked nervous. Finally, one broke the silence, “Well if that isn’t the strangest thing I’ve ever heard in my life, I don’t know what is.”

                                Kai couldn’t say much, “It is pretty strange, isn’t it?” he ran his fingers through his hair and rocked on his heels.

                                “Well could you do me a favor and take me back?” Jae said in the most casual way. Kai was surprised that she took this so lightly. Usually people would be in shock, call him crazy, or run away. At least, that’s what his friends did.

                                “Um…sure?” Kai’s expression was puzzling, “Aren’t you…afraid?”

                                “Afraid of what? A little teleportation? Now that you told me, I think it’s pretty cool!” Jae thought for a moment. “So that’s how you got in front of that drunk man so fast! Ha! Using your powers for good.” She flashed him a smile and laughed.

                                “I guess I do…” Kai was still slightly worried, “You won’t tell anyone, right?”

                                Jae crossed her fingers, “Promise. Now take me back!” Jae quickly latched her hand onto Kai’s. He was surprised that she didn’t just grab his arm. She actually held his hand.

                                Kai’s eyes got a tad wide, until he snapped into reality, “Uh, yeah, okay.”

                                Jae closed her eyes, “I’m ready!” she squeezed Kai’s hand.

                                Kai chuckled, “You don’t have to close your eyes. Just mine.”

                                “Just let me do it! I want to feel what you feel.” She smiled at the sky, eyes still closed. Her hand was still wrapped tightly around Kai’s. He smiled at her. Not a smirk, a smile. And it was genuine. His eyelids slowly shut, and opened in a matter of seconds.

                                Jae opened her eyes, “Wow…that’s fantastic…” she gazed at Kai.

                                “Well…thanks I guess. I’ll see you around.” Kai waved and smiled halfheartedly.

                                “Wait, where are you going?” Jae’s expression turned disappointed.

                                “I have some errands to run. I’ll be back shortly.” Kai tipped his hat, smiled once more, and closed his eyes. He was gone.

                                “Goodbye…” Jae lifted a limp hand to wave at Kai, who was the most extraordinary person she had ever met.

                                _______________

                                Neon lights filled Kai’s pupils as he glanced at the year 2060. Cars did eventually fly, and style eventually progressed. He stood on the sidewalk, and wondered where and when to cross the busy streets…after some deep contemplation, he decided to stay on the same side. As he walked, he noticed every time he stepped on the sidewalk, the bricks he touched would glow, then fade when he lifted his foot. The visual of the whole city was magnificent.

                                “Would you like a glow, sir?” A woman around his age held up a tray of cups containing glowing liquid. She was wearing a bright green and pink dress with an asymmetrical haircut, with the same colors in it as the dress. Her eyes were bright green, obviously contacts. Her features were small and dainty—nothing striking in the least.

                                “It depends. What is a glow?” Kai said. The woman looked at Kai with a strange expression.

                                “What is a glow? You must be ancient!” She laughed, “A glow is a drink that is commonly known around these parts. You’re in the Neo District, if you didn’t know.” She pointed to a large sign that displayed the district. “Anyway, a glow is a drink that makes your eyes glow. It’s also very tasty. It’s a nutritious fashion statement, as I like to call it.” She took a glass off her tray and drank it. The liquid was red, and as soon as she drank it, her eyes and even lips turned red. “See?” She giggled.

                                Kai was amused, “I think I’ll pass. But thank you…this place is very beautiful.”

                                “I’d love to show you around, but I’m a little busy. Being a spokes model isn’t easy!” she winked. She kicked her leg up into a cute pose, “See ya!”

                                Kai realized everyone in this district was eccentric. He hoped not everyone was this bubbly all hours of the day. He halfway smiled, and walked on.

                                He had no idea where to go. There were people running beside him, people walking behind him, cars zooming around him…it was chaos. But everyone seemed to love it. It seemed like it would never be quiet. After a long walk, he noticed a bar on the other side of the road. He loved visiting the bar. He never drank much, he just loved the vibe. Most people would say a closet alcoholic, but not Kai.

                                He needed to cross the street. He wanted a place to sit down for once. He was too afraid to cross, and he couldn’t teleport with all these people around him. He needed to pass the time, so he bought a local newspaper. He started to read the first page. Kai noticed it was an obituary for a man named Tama Choi. He was hit by a car. He looked down at the next name: Han Godum, also hit by a car. He read every single one on the first page. He realized what he had grabbed was a sheet of the people who have died…this week.

                                Kai dropped the newspaper and looked at the street filled with zooming cars. He gulped as his eyes got wider. He could feel his heart drop to his stomach. He had to cross it sometime soon, whether it was to go to a bar, or find somewhere to rest. Kai looked up to the sky, and hoped his parents would give him a slight feeling of courage or drive.

                                The sky was a pretty purple with small white lights across it. It seemed to be the only peaceful thing in sight. He saw a black figure on a rooftop. There weren’t many birds out like usual.

                                “I hate you, Kai.”

                                The words hit him like bullets. He couldn’t wait. He would risk everything for his brother’s life. Kai closed his eyes, but did not teleport. He slowly took one foot forward, and began to run. He opened them and dodged his way through several cars, some came too close for comfort. He finally saw his footsteps light up again as he reached the sidewalk. He glanced at the cars moving every direction. Then he looked to his right. He had no time to react. His brain didn’t put two and two together. He saw flashing lights of every color fill his eyes, as he stood still and watched a car fly towards him.

                                Suddenly, he felt a large force upon his chest, pushing him back with such power that his back slammed into the wall of a building next to the bar. Kai dropped to his knees as he saw a figure hold out one hand toward Kai, and one toward the car, pushing the car over as well. Kai’s eyes were fluttering. The impact was too great. He saw the figure run over, but he couldn’t catch a glimpse of his face.

                                “Are you okay? Ahhh, aigoo…I hope I didn’t hurt you too bad…dammit! I swear, every time…I need to get you home…” the man paced by Kai. Kai’s eyes finally shut.

                                __________

                                “Kai! Wake up for breakfast! Tao made some scrambled eggs for everyone.” He heard his mother’s voice through the crack in the door.

                                “Coming…” Kai groggily mumbled. He got out of bed slowly and shuffled his way to the kitchen. “Why are you up so early?” he said to Tao, who had a bright smile on his face.

                                “I wanted to cook eeeeverybody breakfast this morning! Mom taught me how to make eggs last week, so I wanted to make them today.” Tao put down a plate of eggs in front of Kai. “Tell me what you think!” his eyes were anxious for the answer.

                                Kai took a couple bites to digest the taste. And it wasn’t too shabby. “Yum.” He finished his plate.

                                “Yay! Thanks Kai. I told you you’d like it!” Tao ran into the living room to catch his favorite morning show. Their mom walked to Kai and put her hand on his shoulder.

                                “You know Tao only made you eggs, right?” his mother’s face looked down at him.

                                “Why’d he do that?”

                                “You don’t know how much Tao looks up to you, Kai.”

                                Kai didn’t want to continue the conversation. He looked at Tao, and Tao looked back. He flashed Kai a smile and waved. Kai smiled a little, and cleaned up his plate.

                                “He loves you, Kai.”

                                ___________

                                Kai stirred in a bed and woke up in a cold sweat. His eyes were halfway open, and were glancing around the room. Nothing was familiar. He could smell eggs somewhere in the house. Kai didn’t want to get up, if he didn’t know where he was. He suddenly felt a tap on his shoulder. He jolted and turned around to see a man a little older than him squatting next to the bed, with his head in his hands, “Finally. You’re awake! I was hoping you weren’t dead!” when he laughed, his sandy-blonde hair fell in his eyes. He wore a button down with sweats, which was unusual, considering the Neo District’s fashions.

                                “Wha…?” Kai was still tired.

                                “Aigoo…I didn’t mean to wake you! You can go back to sleep. Do what you please. My apologies.” He bowed and scuttled into the kitchen, “I made you breakfast, sooo please eat when you can!”

                                Kai sat up and pushed a pillow behind his back to support his body, “Room service…?”

                                The man laughed, and yet again his bangs fell into his eyes, “Oh no! Do you remember last night?”

                                Kai’s eyes were now awake, “Did I get hit by that car?!” he flipped the covers off of him and patted his legs down. No bruises or cuts.

                                “Well…you almost did. Thankfully, Luhan was there to save the day!” Luhan put his fork above his head in a heroic pose.

                                Kai groaned as he felt a sudden pain in his back, “Did you push me out of the way or something?”

                                “Something like that.” Luhan changed the subject, “By the by. I have your clothes hanging in the bathroom. I washed them since they were a little dirty. I also bought you a few cheap items of clothing, so be thankful!”

                                Kai hadn’t noticed he was in his underwear, “Um…thank you?”

                                “You are so welcome, my friend. Would you like some eggs?” Luhan smiled gently and motioned a plate towards Kai.

                                Kai denied the offer and looked at the big TV in front of him. “Oh well, more for me!” Luhan said, popping a piece of scrambled egg into his mouth, “Yummy.” He brought the plate with him and sat on the bed next to Kai, “So whatcha watchin’?”

                                This guy is acting way to comfortable about a stranger sleeping in his bed…

                                “Whatever you were watching.” Kai said, not amused.

                                “Oh, I see.” Luhan stopped between a bite and said, “Your hair is very unruly. Lemme fix it!” his hand gently touched Kai’s bangs and swiped them over to one side. “There you go. Cute as a button.” He laughed at his degrading comment.

                                “Okay, seriously. What’s going on here? Do you have strangers sleep here often, or are you just that friendly?” Kai turned to Luhan with an intense glare. Luhan got wide-eyed and was taken aback by Kai. He looked at Kai’s eyes for a while.

                                “You have really deep eyes.” Luhan said, slowly taking a bite of egg, never breaking eye contact.

                                Kai rolled his eyes and laid back down, throwing the covers over him. “Nevermiiiind!”

                                “Suit yourself buddy.” Luhan said, cleaning his plate.

                                Kai groaned underneath the covers, “You are really stupid…”

                                Luhan heard his insult and walked over to the bed again. “What was that?” he poked Kai’s side.

                                Kai flipped the covers off of him and quickly sat up, “You’re stupid.”

                                Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed, “Well that isn’t nice to say.” He lifted his hand in front of Kai’s face, and flicked a finger towards him, flinging Kai’s body back down on the bed, “Rude!”

                                Kai laid on the bed in shock, “Hey, Luhan.” He said, getting Luhan’s attention before he went back in the kitchen.

                                “Yeah, ya brat?” he chuckled.

                                Kai closed his eyes and appeared in front of Luhan. His face was not more than an inch away from Kai’s.

                                “I know what you are.”