The Singer

Your Highness

 

                                Luhan looked into Kai’s eyes and smiled, “What? A highly attractive and successful man?”

                                Kai remained his stature, “No. I know what you can do. Telekinesis.” Kai quickly spit at Luhan, whose eyes went from Kai’s mouth to the floor. Kai saw his spit—wad fall to the floor. “I knew it.”   

                                Luhan became nervous, “Um…you see…I uh…” he turned away from Kai.

                                “It’s alright. I can teleport.” Kai laid a hand on Luhan’s shoulder. He turned back to look at Kai and nervously smiled. He looked down at the hand and back at Kai.

                                “Good…I thought you were part of the S.C…” Luhan said softly.

                                Kai looked confused, “The S.C.? What’s that?”

                                Luhan looked at Kai like he was crazy, “You have got to be kidding me. You’ve had your powers since birth and you haven’t known about the S.C.?!” his nearly black eyes widened. Kai didn’t say anything, and waited for Luhan to explain.

                                “Ah…where do I begin…” Luhan grabbed Kai’s hand and led him to his bed. They both sat on the edge. “I thought this would take a while, so I figured we should sit down.” He took a deep breath, “Well many years ago, there was a fire. It was very large, and wiped out tons of buildings. The police did a huge investigation. During this investigation, a child ran to the police station saying he saw a man playing with fire. They asked the boy to lead them to the man.

                                “The man was kneeling down, with a fire kindled in his hands. They asked why he was playing with a piece of burnt wood, or charcoal. The man looked up at them and said, ‘You want to see?’ he threw it at the officers. His eyes were burning red, and looked crazy. He kept murmuring, ‘They killed my family, they kill, they kill!’ as the police officers restrained him. The man tried his hardest to get away, ‘I did JUSTICE!’ he would yell.

                                “Finally, he said, ‘If you can’t let me go, you’re all going down with me.’ He lit himself, and all the officers on fire.”

                                Kai looked at Luhan with wide eyes, “So…”

                                “So, the only survivor created a group called the S.C. They research abnormal powers daily, and center around them. Most of the time, they capture them, and take them from the outside world. And sometimes, if they cause great danger…they kill them. Torture them.”

                                “That’s…terrible…do they know about you?” Kai asked intently.

                                Luhan looked down, “No. But I can’t keep saving people…they’re pretty tight around here…they’ll see…”

                                Kai realized he was talking about him, “Maybe…you just have to let them see.”

                                Luhan looked at Kai, his brows furrowed, “Are you crazy? I can’t let anyone know…” he held his hands together, gripping them tightly.

                                “Nothing is wrong with you. Trust me.” He looked at Luhan, “When I was little, I used my powers to help my starving little brother.” He smiled, “Our gifts…should be used for good. How did you realize your gift?”

                                “Well…5 years ago…I was 17. It was 2055, and it was a great year in China. But all great things must come to an end, right?” he smirked and looked down at his hands, which were turning white from the pressure at how he was holding them. Kai laid his hand on Luhan’s, to settle him down. “…my family was traveling to Japan. We weren’t anywhere close to Japan, but we had to cross a gigantic bridge. The traffic was horrible. You hardly moved an inch a minute.” He chuckled, “I remember my 2 cousins were in the back seat, complaining about how long it was…they had their iPods…I didn’t. I just watched the clouds. I didn’t complain until the ground started rumbling.” Kai started to see Luhan’s eyes fill with tears, “My cousins couldn’t hear it…or feel it. They were oblivious. But I did. It was a tremor. There was going to be an earthquake…and we were on a bridge. The tremors started to get bigger until the rumbles were noticeable by everyone on the bridge…the bridge started to shake uncontrollably. People were opening their car doors…nobody could leave.

                                “My cousins ripped their ear buds out, and stared at the bridge. People were screaming, including my mother. And all I could do…was watch the clouds. Because I knew I was going to die.” The tears left his eyes as he continued, “I just stepped out of the car. All of my senses went blank except my sight…I couldn’t hear my mother yell for me. The bridge started to break under the pressure of the shakes. I forwarded a message to all my friends off of my phone, telling them goodbye, and how much I loved them…even my dad, who abandoned me when I was 13. I thought this would be the end.

                                “A support of the bridge came crumbling down above us. I saw a piece come falling toward me. There was nowhere I could go, so all I did was close my eyes, and hold up my hands. When I opened them I saw the piece of cement floating above my fingertips. I was in shock. I called to my mother…she didn’t answer. I looked behind me and saw our little Impala crushed under a large piece of cement. I…screamed. For the longest time I screamed…I threw the cement piece, and flew my arms in the air. I focused on the bridge’s supports. I held the bridge steady, while I watched buildings crumble around me. I saw people off the bridge die. All I could do was scream…” Luhan started to get louder. He stood up and put his hands over his face as he yelled, “All I could ever ing do was--!”

                                Luhan stopped as he felt Kai’s arms around him. Kai felt Luhan’s head rest on his shoulder, as well as the tears making wet marks on his shirt. Luhan’s arms slowly greeted Kai, returning his caring gesture. They stood there for a minute, hearing nothing but the soft voice of the TV, and Luhan’s sobs.

                                “All you could do was scream? Bull. You saved so many people.” Kai let go of the hug but still held onto Luhan’s shoulders. He looked at Luhan and smiled warmly.

                                Luhan’s eyes were still red from the tears, but he still managed to smile at Kai, “Yeah…I guess so…” he grabbed Kai’s waist and hugged him again. “Why do I feel like I’ve known you for 20 years?”

                                Kai returned the hug again, “Because I’ve been through 20 years.”

                                _______________

                                Kai tried to hold in his laughter, “Are you sure this is what people wear around here?” he looked down at his shimmering black shirt, leather pants, black boots, and black gloves. He felt a little odd, to say the least, considering he was in the Neo district, which had all neon colors. He walked out of the bathroom to show Luhan, who was the one who gave him the clothes in the first place.

                                “Oh yes. I’m positive! In the Neo District, we wear specific clothes for specific places. And today, I’m taking you to a bar. You wear all black! You look great!” Luhan chuckled. He wore something like Kai’s ensemble, except he had on two necklaces. “But your hair. I need to roughen it up a bit. I have some gel here somewhere…” Luhan walked to the bathroom and rummaged through a drawer. He rubbed clear mixture in his hands and rustled it through Kai’s hair as he fussed and laughed about.

                                “Haha, alright, okay!” Kai swatted Luhan’s hand away. He smiled at Kai and giggled. “Let’s go already!”

                                “Do you want to walk or do you want to lead the way?” Luhan said, implying to use Kai’s powers to get to the bar.

                                Kai thought for a second, remembering when he almost got ran over by a flying car, “I think I can arrange something.” Kai put his hand on Luhan’s head, “Let’s go!”

                                _____________

                                Kai opened his eyes and looked around. The bar was lit up with pink and white lights. Everything was high-tech. The stage had several long pieces of string hooked onto the floor and the ceiling which glowed pink. He saw many people plucking the strings. He realized that it was the music source of the bar. The strings were like several harps, playing in harmony, each a different instrument. The only person on the stage not playing an instrument was a girl, a singer, who looked strangely familiar…

                                “Wow…that was amazing!” Luhan had a wide smile upon his face, his eyes looked excited. “I can’t even…explain the feeling…”

                                Kai ran his fingers through his gelled hair, “You get used to it!”

                                Kai and Luhan took a seat next to the stage. Their table was decorated with small crystals, “Diamonds.” Luhan explained, pointing to them. In the center of the table, there were pink drooping flowers with a melted diamond coating on them. Everything was beautiful and extraordinary. “Are you ready for the show?”

                                Kai stopped looking at the scenery for a moment, “The show?”

                                “Yeah!” Luhan turned to get the waiter’s attention, and ordered 2 drinks, “You see that girl up there? The singer?” Luhan pointed to the exotic looking girl behind the microphone. Kai nodded. “Everyone comes here to see her. Her name is Jon-Om. Everyone calls her Ommie, though. She’s a great singer, and on top of that, she’s beautiful!” Kai agreed, as he looked at her black and pink hair that went down to her waist. She had bangs that almost restricted her vision, which was almost a shame, for her eyes were a striking green color that glowed throughout the bar. She was short, and wore a long, black dress that went all the way to the floor.

                                “She’s…stunning.” Kai was mesmerized. Ommie had caught Kai’s stare and waved at him with long pink fingernails. Kai thought she resembled an elf.

                                “Here are the drinks, boss.” The waiter set down two red drinks and bowed.

                                “Boss?” Kai inquired.

                                Luhan nodded, “Didn’t I tell you? I run this bar!” he held out his hand about a foot away from the glass. The drink slid into the palm of his hand. “It took me awhile, but I made this place into one of the biggest hot spots in the Neo District! Everyone comes here. The night club starts at midnight. Jon-Om is always here. She loves it.” He took a sip of his drink, “Come on, have a glass. It’s on me, after all!”

                                As soon as Kai started to drink, he heard Ommie speak into the microphone, “Hello everyone, and welcome to the Neo P Bar!” Everyone in the audience clapped, “And you all know me…well some of you,” she looked at Kai and smirked, “and if you didn’t, my name is Ommie, and I am here for your entertainment.” The crowd continued to clap and whistle. Kai thought her introduction sounded a little…brothel toned. Even so, Ommie continued, “Okay, first I will start off by singing a song called ‘My Lady’ written by Kyungsoo.”

                                Kai heard the band strum, and in a few moments, heard Ommie’s voice. The room fell silent. Her melodic voice filled the bar, and the ears of the visitors. Every word serenaded the guests; some even got goosebumps, including Kai.