Chapter 7

Love & blood.

My fingers trembled as I felt the blood drain from my face. 

The only sound I could hear was my heartbeat, a presistant rhythm in my ears.

How could I make such a mistake? 

No, no.  I can still fix this. I just need to turn the safety switch off and-

As soon as I looked down at his body crushed under mine - my pistol's barrel still pressed against his temple - I felt him pushing my weight off of his back with renewed strength. At that moment, I felt like I weighed nothing.
I fell onto the concete floor with a thud, my weapon knocked out of my grip. 

Minho stood up, towering over me as I looked up at him with my mouth agape, and my eyes wide open like a dead fish. He was taken aback by my appearance. I could see it in his eyes for a fracture of a second, before his pupils narrowed.. his iris twisted into a new mix of emotions. Confusion, rage and hate.... Everything I saw in my own eyes every time I looked into a mirror. 

"What was that?" He questioned, gritting his teeth. 

"I..." I choked out. My voice sounded a lot weaker than I had expected. 

What an ironic twist of events. I was on top of him half a minute ago, his life in between my hands. And now, I'm here on the floor trembling like a weakling.
I felt nauseous. Sick to my stomach. How could it turn out like this?

"Look, I.." I began to say, slowly standing up... 

And that's when I was able to see it. See her.
My body reacted on its own, and before I could even process my thoughts I leaped at him...
Saving him from the bullet that would have otherwise pierced through his chest. 

"...Are you okay?" I whispered.
"Peachy." He quickly responded, clearly bewildered before he gently pushed me off of his body, standing up to brush the dirt off of his trousers. 
I too, would be confused. If someone who had just failed to kill me ended up saving my life.

I slowly rose from my spot, my head hung low as I placed my gun back in its holster. Even though I wasn't looking at him I could feel his gaze on me, his lingering presence.
"I don't know what just happened. but I'd like to thank you." He stated,
unconsciously waving his cracked cellphone at me. 
I couldn't help but chuckle as I looked up at him, shrugging my shoulders. "Sure."

"If I do happen to see you again... I'm calling the police though." He continued before he walked back into the hall, leaving me alone in the alley. 

His tone was far less threatening and intimidating than it should have been. 
Because I found myself wanting to see him again. 

..........................................

"Bora.. why did you do that?" 
In the corner of my eye, I could see Soyu crossing her arms in disapproval. 
"I understand you ed up, but I had the chance to shoot him and you just up and saved him! Jesus, what were you thinking?"
I didn't know what to tell her. 

So I didn't say anything.

I just kept my grip tight on the steering wheel. I didn't know where I was driving to, but my main focus was not to crash and end up killing the both of us.
That's if Hanuel doesn't finish us off for failing to assassinate Minho. I can't drag Soyu into this...
Not after I saved her life.
"Can you at least pretend you're listening?" 
I slammed my foot against the brake, adruptly halting to a stop on the side of the road.  
"I am listening Soyu," I exclaimed, turning to look at her. 

"I just wanted to finish him off on my own, okay?" I bluffed. "I'll tell Hanuel to get you off this mission so you don't get in trouble, so there's no need for you to worry."
"You think he's the one I'm worried about? Bora, I'm worried about you! I don't know what happened to you out there, but you're not acting like yourself. I don't want Hanuel to harm you for treason." 

She knew me well, too well for her own good.

"...Look, I'll be fine. I'm not turning my back against Hanuel, I'll just figure out a better way to destroy Minho.. and then it'll all be okay. Didn't Hanuel want him to suffer? How would that be possible with a single bullet?"
Seems like I made a convincing argument, as Soyu understandingly nodded before leaning back into her seat, turning to look out the window.

In an attempt to lighten up the mood, I the radio before resuming to drive and turned the volume all the way up.

'Cause I'm the fury in your head.
I'm the fury in your bed.
I'm the ghost in the back of your head~