Chapter 6

Love & blood.

"Ready?" Soyu turned to the raven haired female, idling by the enterance of the hall. 
"Ready." A smirk curved Bora's lips as she eyed the crowded room ahead.  

Tonight's finally the night Hanuel had been waiting for.

The two assassins gracefully strode into the wide room, their long, silky evening gowns trailing behind them. Upon their arrival, their eyes shifted upwards to the chandeliers dangling from the ceiling, dripping with the best cut diamonds and white gold. Slow jazz music filled the air, enhancing the cozy atmosphere this party had.  

A waiter dressed in a tidy suit approached the ladies, holding a silver tray in his hand to offer them flute glasses filled with champagne. They politely smiled, each of them taking a glass within their hands before they walked deeper into the room, thoroughly scanning the faces of the crowd. 

"What time is it?" Bora questioned, her voice below a whisper as she took a sip of her champagne. 
Soyu's deer-like eyes averted downwards to her golden wrist watch. "It's almost 7." She replied, beaming at the older one.

 With a nod, Bora headed towards the long, narrow table at the right side of the room where the catered food was laid out. The flaxen haired female followed suit, knowing fully that they had to blend in first without drawing any unwanted attention.

Slowly chewing on pastries, Soyu noticed a small fuzz near the entrance door. A crowd gathered around an unknown figure; warm smiles and small conversations scattering into the air, muffling out the music playing in the background. Alarmed, she gently nudged her comrade, motioning towards the throng ahead with her eyes. 

"I'll go get a closer look. I'll meet you back here in five minutes." Bora murmured before she squeezed her way through the people blocking her path, approaching the enormous horde surrounding the mysterious towering stature. 


Keeping her distance, she discreetly peered over the shoulders of the authority figures... Her eyes immediately latching onto the familiar male in the middle of the circle.
Lee Minho.

His plump lips were parted in a small smile as he spoke, his posure calm and collected. It was no surprise that Minho was well-put together. His silky, obsidian hair dangled over his forehead, hanging above his smokey hazel eyes.
 
Bora's attention was drawn away from the male only when he turned towards a well built man standing next to him, whispering something onto his ear. Despite the fact that Hanuel never mentioned anything about a bodyguard, she knew that was exactly who that bigger man was just by their body language. 

Before they could spot her in their field of view, Bora broke away from the crowd and retreated to the table Soyu leaned against, patiently waiting for her. 

"It's him." She informed, stealing a quick glance at his direction. "And he's got company."
"A..BG?" Soyu followed quickly, cocking an eyebrow at her. 
"Yes." Bora sighed, doubting their ability to pull off the mission at this rate. A bodyguard? As if assassinating a public figure at a big, open event wasn't difficult enough. 

"I'll be a decoy, and let you go for it." Soyu whispered, a slight smile teasing the corners of her lips. As if in-sync, the two females turned to eye the male, relieved by the sight of a smaller, almost non-existent mob of people lingering around him. 

Bora stayed behind, glancing at her partner as she headed towards their victim.
Her slender hand extended outwards to lay on the bigger man's shoulder, gently capturing his attention.
He turned around, seemingly puzzled as he stared down at her.

"Can I help you?" 
Soyu blinked, her glossy eyes reflecting  the bright lights above. For a moment, she didn't say anything at all. She merely took a deep breath, her lips quivering as her head hung low. 
"...I can't find my son. I lost him here, and I can't seem to find him anywhere..." She mumbled, her voice low and brittle as if she was on the verge of tears.
Before the male could reply, Soyu looked up at him. He stuttered, taken aback by the tears streaming down her rosy cheeks.
"Please, sir... can you help me find him? He may have stumbled outside.." She pleaded desperately, her hand tugging at the sleeve of his suit. 
"I...Miss, I'm afraid I can't help you at the moment. Have you tried asking the--" 
"It's okay." Minho interrupted the man mid-sentence, nodding reassuringly at Soyu. "You can go help her. I'll stay here."
His boyguard nodded, disappearing into the crowd with the female assassin in hopes of finding her 'son'. Little did he know what her true intentions were. 

Bora idled near the table, waiting as she gazed mindlessly at the male. What is it that she waited for? Even she had no clue... But something in the back of her head told her it wasn't the time yet.
Just then, Minho's hand suddenly dug into his pocket, fishing out his cellphone. She could hear the faint sound of his ringtone, immediately noticing the slight look of irritation creeping onto his face. It was clearly business related. 
Bora walked just a little bit closer, hoping he would take the call. 
And he did. 

Minho stepped out of the hall, his cellphone in hand. Bora watched as he distanced himself from the glamour and the glitz, the giddy music and the bright lights to step deep into the darkness outside, into the comfort of a silent night while his bodyguard was being deliberately distracted by her partner.


A part of her wondered why he'd done it. Why he would urge his personal bodyguard - the only way to keep himself safe and unharmed - to help a complete and utter stranger. A stranger who was lying, deceiving them without a second thought or a glint of guilt in her eyes. 

But he never doubted her. Soyu's camouflage was flawless. 

Bora followed his trail, staying behind far enough for him to dismiss her figure, but close enough for her to hear and see him perfectly in her line of vision.
He pressed his cellphone against his ear..  Mumbling something. She narrowed her eyes, staring intently at his facial expression which only showed distress, uneasiness, even anger.

Trouble in paradise? 

His voice gradually rose, a hint of frustration to his tone. Bora found herself contemplating on whether or not she should strike that moment.
He stood there into the darkness meters away from her, at his most vulnerable state...muttering into his phone completely unaware of her presence.

But even then, she wondered if that's the way someone like Minho should spend the last few minutes of his life.

Locked in a heated debate on the phone before he sprawls onto the filthy, cold concrete floor.... surrounded by a pool of his own blood oozing out of his body until the light fades from his eyes. 

A strong wind blew against her , sending shivers down her spine. That's when she was struck by the fact that he was by far the youngest victim she ever had to kill. And she had killed a lot of business men before, too many to count or even keep track of. 

 ....What the hell am I thinking? I should just get it over and done with!

Bora inhaled deeply, her trembling fingers brushing against her thigh belt hostler. She loathed herself that instant for second guessing herself when she had been doing this all her life without hesitation. Why now? Why did her conscience suddenly sink in, drowning her in guilt and sympathy for a stranger? 

Heaving a sigh, she gazed at the male one last time as the moonlight illuminated his carefully hand-tailored tux. Envisioning the jet black fabric soaked in his warm crimson blood, flies buzzing around his corpse until a street walker finds him in the morning was for once... an unpleasant thought for the assassin. 

I'm sorry, Minho.

She impulsively pulled her gun out of its holster, and in one swift movement she lunged at the male.

A soft gasp escaped his lips as he stumbled forward onto the floor with her body on top of his back, his cellphone skittering a few feet away.
His chest rose and fell, his eyes wide in shock as his neck glistened under the moonlight. He was sweating bullets, and Bora could only imagine the look of utter confusion his face wore that instant. 
  

Before he could fight back, she pressed her pistol's barrel against his temple, her fingers immediately pulling the trigger.

Click.

..................

...........................

CLICK.

Nothing.

.......

She froze dead in her tracks as the strength of realization hit every nerve of her body, making her heart thump rapidly against her chest.   

The safety switch was on.