[42] Rememberance

MY PING PONG BOY

Chp. 42| REMEMBRANCE


“I remember the
name of the racket.” He lifted his eyes to look at me directly. “Butterfly Kenji.”

I was so ecstatic; I ended up throwing my arms tightly around him. “You remember, right? You remember more than that?”

“Would it make you feel a lot better if I say yes?”

I pulled back immediately, feeling my heart stop as I stared into his lost eyes. “Jung Sang. Is that all you remember? The name of the racket?”

He nodded his head shamelessly. “Yes, I’m sorry.”

Before I could react to that, a sudden ringing made me jump.

Jung Sang reached for his phone and quickly answered it without bothering to check the number first. “Hello?”

“YOU ED UP, YOU D*CKHEAD. YOU ED US UP REAL GOOD SO NOW I’LL SHOW YOU THE MEANING OF DEATH!!! YOU BETTER GET YOUR SORRY DOWN HERE BEFORE I BRING MY PEOPLE UP!!!”

That only meant one thing.

Those bastards that done this to Park Jung Sang were not going to give up. After all they had done to him, you would think they’d learn from their mistakes. Apparently, these guys were something else.

A frown appeared on his face as he looked at his phone. “Uh…I think you got the wrong number.” Having said that, he hung up on them.

I snatched the phone off him and began to dial for the cops when the phone started to ring again. I looked at Jung Sang who gestured me to hand the phone over to him. But I refused to let anything of that happen again so I answered it myself. “Hello?”

“Who the are you? Put Jung Sang on.”

“I’m his girlfriend and Jung Sang doesn’t want to speak to you. I do.”

“Whatever, just put him on the line right now.”

I could feel my anger starting to boil as I turned my back on Jung Sang just so he wouldn’t have to see how angry I was. “ you. you and your retarded friends. We’re not afraid of you!”

“B*tch, shut the up!”

“YAH! YOU IN’ LOSER. IF YOU’RE SO GOOD, YOU WOULDN’T NEED FIFTY GUYS ON PARK JUNG SANG. SO WHAT NOW? YOU HAVE OVER 100? THAT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A IN’ DICKLESS COWARD, YOU MINDLESS PRICK! DO YOU LOOK FORWARD TO BREAKING MORE OF YOUR BONES, HUH? DO YOU HAVE A GILFRIEND THAT WORRIES ABOUT YOU? I BET YOU HAVE NONE BECAUSE YOU’RE SO DAMN UGLY. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT IT’S LIKE AND WHAT I HAVE GONE THROUGH SINCE YOU AND THOSE ASSH0LES PUT JUNG SANG IN THE HOSPITAL.” I took a deep breath. “BECAUSE OF ME! BECAUSE OF ME, HE HELD OUT ON YOU GUYS. PARK JUNG SANG WOULD NEVER ASK ANYTHING FROM YOU ERS. BUT HE DID THAT DAY AND YOU GUYS TOOK IT YOUR OWN WAY TO SEE THAT HE DIDN’T COME AND SEE ME ON MY BIRTHDAY. YOU MADE HIM SUFFER! AND NOW IT’S YOUR TURN!!!”

I knew it was rash to go against them, especially at a time when Jung Sang was starting to remember. But what girl in their right mind could refrain themselves from b*tching at the guys who had put her boyfriend in the hospital and made him lose his memory? All in all, I was starting to lose my voice.

I had waited for another reply from him but there was none. He was quiet. Perhaps my outburst had worked on him?

I turned back around to find Jung Sang had disappeared.

Uh Oh. We have another problem.

I figured he went down to confront the guys by himself. Which was probably the worst thing he could do. This was so wrong. I was out the door, feeling my heart pounding out of my chest, still clutching the phone to my ear when I heard Jung Sang’s voice shouting over the line. “YAH! Quit talking to my girlfriend. I’m here, you dog er! I’ll show you what I got.”

I heard rustling and some guy’s screaming in pain before the phone was dropped, and the line was disconnected.

I was standing in front of the elevator, pressing the button impatiently, praying to God that Jung Sang was going to be okay, when it finally occurred to me.

YAH! Quit talking to my girlfriend. I’m here you dog er!

Only PingPongBoy was capable cursing like that.

That would mean that the Park Jung Sang that I love was back.

When the elevator door opened, I rushed in, neglecting to pay attention to the person in the elevator and I ended up colliding into him. He quickly placed his arms around me and held me close. I raised my head up and pulled back a little to find Jung Sang staring down at me. The tears came flowing out the moment I returned the hug. All that was going through my head that moment was that I was glad to have him back and that he remembered. I felt like I needed to cling onto him forever because I was afraid to let go. I sensed he was feeling the same way because he clung to me tighter than I expected.

The elevator moved nowhere. It felt so right to be in his arms again. It would be described as a silent renunion. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t find my tongue to speak.

Jung Sang decided to break the silence. “Ji Won?”

To be honest, I love the way he says my name. It was something else. “Yes?” I answered him. My voice came out very small. I bet I sounded like a mouse.

“I think I broke his neck.”

Yeah, I know what you’re all thinking. That Jung Sang always seem to ruin the moment by saying something random. It’s a good thing that he broke the guy’s neck. That idiot deserves it.

I pulled back to look him in the eyes while placing a hand on the side of his face tentatively. “What about you, are you hurt anywhere?”

He returned the gesture and I could feel the warmth of his hands flowing onto my cheek. “No. I’m fine.”

“And the others?”

“There was only one other. That chicken sh*t ran off the moment he saw me.”

I smiled and then chuckled. “I’m glad you did that.”

He half smiled. “I remembered Butterfly Kenji and minutes after that call, when you were going crazy with your swear words, that’s when it finally occurred to me and then remembered everything else. I remembered the day of your birthday. The scene replayed over again like I was watching a movie. I saw what they did to the cake. I saw them attacking me from all sides.” He stopped explaining and the expression slowly morphed into an angry one. “At one point, I thought I was going to die. It was all too much. The last thing that went through my head the moment I collapse was how sorry I was. I was sorry that I couldn’t get to you.”

I gripped his arm. “That doesn’t matter now. I’m glad I got you now.”

“Hearing you curse like that---it’s wrong. That wasn’t you, Ji Won. What have I turned you into?”

“I’m more than that. I’ve changed quite a bit,” I admitted.

“We both did,” he said, wanting to reach out to pat my head when I glared at him, causing him to stop mid-way. “Sorry,” he apologized.

I grabbed his hand and placed it on my head. “Don’t be sorry, Jung Sang. I don’t want you to be sorry unless you really need to be sorry. I don’t want you to be sweet unless you want to be. I don’t want you to act childish and annoying. I don’t want you to carry an umbrella under the hot sun. And I don’t want you to tell me to call you oppa. I don't want you to sip hot chocolate with a straw nor do I ever want you to eat ice-cream and tell me you enjoy it."

I wanted to cry. I found myself tearless that moment. And being tearless, I found myself laughing instead at the ridiculousness of my confession.

Jung Sang’s expression was priceless. You could tell he was surprised and pissed off. “I can’t believe I did those things. It’s like I was possessed or something. I don't want you to remind me either."

I smiled, bringing my hand up to tap the top of his head. “It’s okay. It was rather sweet while it lasted. Now you’re back to the old you.”

I turned my back on him and stared at the closed door. “So, you think we should call out for help?”

“No.”

I turned back around to face him. “Why not? We’re stuck here.”

He had his eyes on his feet. “I meant no I’m not back to my old self.”

“I don’t understand.”

He raised his eyes to look at me. “My old self didn’t include you. The new me has got you.”

I suppressed a warm smile to show him that I understood. Then I reached out for his hand. He took my hand and squeezed it affectionately. “You’re right,” I agreed.

“This is the part where we get mushy right?” he asked, staring directly into my eyes as he drew me closer.

“No. Who placed that idea in your head?”

“I watch television.”

“We all do.”

“I read a few books.”

“Liar, you don’t read.”

“I used to.”

"I don't want to know what kind of books you read."

He was getting closer and closer and I found myself back away until he cornered me, placing both hands on either side of me. It seemed like an act of possession and control. This was another strange side to Jung Sang that I haven't seen before.

I could feel the heat burning in my cheeks and the butterflies fluttering in my tummy when I stared numbly at his handsome face. “What are we doing, Jung Sang?”

He was smirking when he reached out to squeeze my nose and then gently tap my forehead backward, causing my head to hit against the wall. “Yah! What does it look like to you? Do you really think I’m your knight in shining armor?”

I made a face and mumbled under my breath. “Loser.”

He smiled, looking around inside the elevator as he folded his arms together. "Dummy. What makes you think I'd kiss you inside a stalled elevator?"

The next thing I knew, Jung Sang was banging on the walls of the elevator. “YAH! WHO’S IN CHARGE HERE? GET US THE HELL OUT OF HERE! WHY DOES THIS STUPID ELEVATOR ALWAYS GET STUCK?!”

Surprisingly, a voice answered him back. “If you didn’t know already, the elevator is haunted! Hahahaha!”

“Don’t talk bullsh*t. Get us out of here!”

“Chill buddy. I’m trying,” came the voice.

“Yeah? Well you’re not trying hard enough. Don’t call me buddy. I’m not your buddy.”

The lights went out.

We were standing in the dark.

Jung Sang was the first to say something. "Why is your hand so cold, Ji Won?"

What was he talking about? I wasn't holding onto his hand.

Oh no.

Let's not tell him.



---

MSN conversations


# 1 :

GamerBoy says:
 I gave her it.
NaNa says: Don’t lie.
GamerBoy says: You type slow
NaNa says: You’re slower than me
GamerBoy says: No. While you were typing, I had time to pick my nose.
NaNa says: You’re gross. While you were picking your nose and trying to type, I went to get a glass of water and came back.
GamerBoy says: she cried.
NaNa says: She did?
GamerBoy says: Yeah I heard her bawl her eyes out. I was listening at her door.
NaNa says: I miss your sister. I cried too.
GamerBoy says: What? The old grandmother knows how to cry too?
NaNa says: Why do you call me The grandmother? I told you to respect me as if I’m your grandmother not to call me grandmother. What’s wrong with you?
GamerBoy says: It bothers you? HA HA! Grandmother freak!! Change your username to ‘The Grandmother’
NaNa says: shut up!
GamerBoy says: My mouth is shut. It’s my fingers that are typing. Tell my fingers to stop.
NaNa says: stop then!
GamerBoy says: Too bad. My mind is thinking and my fingers are typing for it. Tell my mind to stop then.
NaNa says: you’re retarded
GamerBoy says: The grandmother!
NaNa says: Oh yeah? At least I’m not a crybaby and a wuss. You don’t remember that day? You got beat up.
GamerBoy says: shut up.
NaNa says: You can’t win. I gotta go. Anyway, tell your sister that I’m going back to Seoul in three days. We’re moving back there. I get to see everyone again! Bye!


# 2 :

HEROnotFromDBSK says: 
That b*tch remembers again. Maybe I should take him on real game of Ping Pong?
HEROisGAY says: You’ll lose. No doubt. You’re no match for him.
HEROnotFromDBSK says: how do you know? You never saw me play
HEROisGAY says: I don’t have to see you play. Gay guys don’t win tournaments.
HEROnotFromDBSK says: Is that why you never win?
HEROisGAY says: I don’t play ping-pong
HEROnotFromDBSK says: What do you play?
HEROisGAY says: I don’t play anything.
HEROnotFromDBSK says: No wonder why you only got the face to show off for
HEROisGAY says: Is it my fault that you find me so attractive?
HEROnotFromDBSK says: you feel the same way about me
HEROisGAY says: hold up

YOONTAEisOfficiallyGay says: there. Much better.

TAEWOOisMyBF says: yeah, you’re right. This is much better.


# 3 :

ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: Omg, is this Shin Hye Min? You’re so pretty!
Hye Min says: Yes, it’s me. Thank you.
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: you’re welcome.
Hye Min says: how did you find me?
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: I asked someone for your email address, so I decided to add you to my msn list.
Hye Min says: but this email is supposed to be private.
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: oh, is it? I’m sorry.
Hye Min says: It’s okay. Just take me off your list after our conversation because I’m gonna be doing that to you.
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: What? You don’t like me?
Hye Min says: how can I like you? I don’t even know you.
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: Just because you think you’re prettier than all the other girls, doesn’t make you that special
Hye Min says: ?
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: What is “?” supposed to mean?
Hye Min says: Do I know you?
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: ?…
Hye Min says: I’m going to log off. I don’t need to waste my time with you.
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: You just did
Hye Min says: whatever
ShinHYEMIN’s fan says: you ! I know you got your eyelids done!

KIM SOO JIN rocks says: ahahhhahah! That’s right b*tch. Log off!