[14] Stalker

MY PING PONG BOY

 

Chp.14| Stalker


You can call him a knight in shining armor that swept me off my feet for what he did.

The only problem was, he isn’t charming, and he didn’t exactly sweep me off my feet. All the while he led me away, I think I fell on my face twice.

Having about enough, I pulled away and started to whine about my scraped palms, panting out of breath. “I’m bleeding, you idiot!”

He didn’t look at me when he muttered, “You’re out of shape, that’s why.”

He accused me of being out of shape when he was the one behaving like we were running away from some bad guys.

“Why the hell were we running for? Geez, it’s not like we’re in a hurry to go anywhere,” I looked around to see that we were standing in front of a tall apartment building. “Why are we here?”

He came closer to me, looking a little nervous. “Let’s just go up.”

“Why?”

“Because this is my place.”

I think I see where this was leading. “Ah…so you’re inviting me to your place?”

His brows furrowed and I could see the irritation clicking in. “Don’t get any ideas. I’m not that desperate.”

“I wasn’t implying anything, you !”

The moment we entered the building, his cell phone went off. He looked at it for a moment before shutting if off and placing it back into his pocket.

“It’s her, isn’t it?” I questioned.

He shrugged in response.

Judging by his evasive response, I figured he didn’t really care much for Shin Hye Min. “Well, if---"

We were interrupted by the ringing of my phone. The number was restricted. I answered it, knowing who it might be. “Hello?”

“You’ll pay, Lee Ji Won. For what you did. You’ll pay,” came the voice of Shin Hye Min. “YOU’RE GONNA DIE!!” she burst.

To be honest, it was all in the fun. When a person is angry, you have to piss them off more just so you can get their reaction. I did it to PingPongBoy, I was going to do it to his ex too. I wasn’t even going to ask how she got hold of my number. Up to this point, I knew my life had somehow turned subliminally fictional.

I stole a glance at Jung Sang who probably heard everything Hye Min had screamed out. He looked at me with a sullen expression.

“Let’s see what my boyfriend has to say about this,” I said turning fully to face him. “Oppa, this Shin Hye Min says I’m gonna die. I think I’m getting scared. What should we do?”

“YAH! KIM TAE WOO WILL KICK YOUR OPPA’S !” Hye Min yelled.

I smiled at that.

Jung Sang grabbed the phone from my grasp. “PUT HIS ON THE LINE. AND GET OFF THE IN’ PHONE!”

Wow. That surprised me because I never knew he was capable of yelling at his ex like that.

The elevator doors opened and Jung Sang took hold of my arm, pulling me inside while speaking to Tae Woo over the phone. When the doors were about to close, an overweight man came hurrying in with us. He was half bald and ugly. That’s all you need to know. The worst thing about him? He stank.

I edge closer to Jung Sang when I caught the fat man looking at me like I was his food.

“Hey there. Do you remember me?” he asked snidely.

“Uhm…no,” I answered, avoiding his gaze.

The truth was, I did remember him. He was the fat smelly ert inside the train.

He stuck a finger in his nose. “I don’t suppose you would. You called me a fat smelly ert inside the train, remember?”

I hid my face behind Jung Sang’s arm, cringing in disgust.

Jung Sang who had just hung up, noticed our little exchanged. He glared at the man who was still smirking with a finger still up his nose. “You’re disgusting and fat. What makes you think you can hit on a girl who is old enough to be your daughter?”

The man’s face reddened in reaction. He removed his finger from his nose and pointed at Jung Sang. Don't ask me what came out of it. I was too disgusted to care. “You’re ugly and rude. What makes you think you can keep such a girlfriend?”

Oh no.

The fat nose-picker had made the biggest mistake in his life by calling Jung Sang ugly.

I noticed the bulging veins along Jung Sang’s arm, proving that he was getting angry.

As if things weren’t meant to be, the elevator stopped moving and the lights went out. Fate had lent a hand for Jung Sang just so he could beat the crap out of the fat man.

I was left crying in my corner while the fight started. I heard the fat man crying out, “My balls! My in’ balls!!”

And then Jung Sang replying, “What’s the point in keeping it when you don’t know how to control it?”

The lights came back on.

The elevator started to move again.

My face was buried in my knees.

A tap on my shoulder forced me to look up.

The fat man was lying unconscious, clutching to his asset.

I looked incredulously up at Jung Sang who held his hand out for me. “You didn’t have to do that.”

The doors opened.

He led me out and said, “Don’t worry, he’s not unconscious. I hit him hard enough to get him to feel the pain. He just has his eyes closed.”

When the doors closed, an agonizing scream came from within the elevator.

---

Jung Sang’s apartment was empty, except for the Ping-Pong table placed in the center of the room. I really hoped that he didn’t drag me all this way so that we could have a Ping-Pong match.

“So why are we here again?”

He ignored my question and turned away. “Wait, here. I’ll be right back.”

With that, Jung Sang left to his room and returned with a wrapped packaged of some sort. He handed it to me.

I pointed to myself and took the gift from him. “What is this?”

“Open it.”

The package was more like a box. I lifted the cover and looked inside to find a stack of photos. Photos of Jung Sang playing Ping-Pong, walking down the street, standing in front of the school and waiting at the subway. The most disturbing one was the one where he was sleeping in his bed. Although, I have to admit, he looked rather cute when he sleeps. Not understanding his intent, I handed it back to him. “Why would I want your pictures?”

“Are you that stupid? I’m showing you what someone sent me. I think I might have a stalker after my , that’s all,” he explained.

I laughed in response. “You? You have a stalker? Who would want to stalk you?”

He shrugged, turning away from me. “I don’t know.”

Perhaps this situation was a little more serious than I thought. Jung Sang looked a bit disturbed by it. “I’ve been getting these anonymous calls. The person doesn’t say anything.”

“Why don’t you call the police?”

“Because I don’t want to involve them. I want to figure it out myself.”

“You can’t do everything yourself,” I argued.

“I have to figure out who it is. I need to know who’s messing with my head.”

So then you can go after them and beat the living sh*t out of them.

I thought about Hye Min. “Maybe it might be one of your ex’s?”

“It’s not Hye Min. She can be psychotic at times, but not this psychotic.” I watched him go over this the table and picked up a racket. He stared down at it a moment before saying, “It might not be a girl.”

“Huh? So you have some kind gay guy stalking you?”

“Maybe,” he answered shamelessly.

I shook my head in disbelief. “Look, I don’t know where we’re going with this, but I have to get home. My mom’s probably worried sick. And plus we both have school tomorrow. Talk to you later,” I said, heading for the door.

That’s when he came to block it. “You’re not going anywhere.”

He looked way too serious when he said that. My stomach began to tighten in nervousness. And then I realized how close we were. That hair of his was a bit too long. They covered his pretty eyes.

Damn. You need a haircut.

My breath was caught in my throat. “Why not? Don’t play around, Jung Sang.”

“Because this stalker of mine is going after you next,” he replied.

"How do you know?"

"The person left me a text message."

My heart began to pound against my chest. “But---but why can’t you walk me home?”

He smirked at me. “What if the stalker is there inside your room, waiting for you?”

“How do you know he/she isn’t here right now?” I asked in return.

Next thing I knew, I was grabbing onto his arm, clinging like a desperate scared little child. Then I thought of Yoon Tae, my cousin.

I reached for my phone and began dialing. After three rings, Hero answered. “What up?”

“I need to pick me up at Jung Sang’s building.”

“Where at? And why the hell isn’t he bringing you home?”

I just realized I had another problem. I didn’t know the name of the building or what street we were on. I looked at Jung Sang for help, but he walked away, purposely ignoring me. “Yah! Tell me!”

Jung Sang didn’t answer.

“He’s being a d*ck. He won’t answer me.”

“Then you’re screwed. Bye,” Yoon Tae said, hanging up.

I cursed and then hung up. “Fine, if you don’t walk me home. I’m going alone. I don’t care about your stupid stalker!”

“Fine, go!” he shouted.

I opened his door and peered my head out before proceeding down the hallway, growing paranoid with every step. By the time I got to the lobby, I let out a breath, relieved to see that there was no one around.

This wasn’t good. I don’t like the feeling of being watched. I was getting scared sh*tless but I was too stubborn to admit it.

I didn’t get ten paces from the building when I heard footsteps behind me.

I forced myself not to look and continued on.

Just when I was about to turn a corner, a figure popped up and grabbed hold of my shoulders, shaking me. I screamed, beating my fists against his chest. "Die! Die, you b*tch!!"

“Quit it. It’s me!” he snapped.

I opened my eyes to see Jung Sang. I was more than glad to see him. The tears came pouring out immediately as I started to cry.

Jung Sang pulled me into his embrace and the back of my head. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I scared you.”

It felt good to be in his strong arms. To be honest, it was very comforting. But it also felt wrong because he was my head.

I pulled away from him. “Yah! I’m not a dog. Don’t my head.”

He smiled at me. “Sorry, I forgot.”

 

.