[13] Outer Beauty

MY PING PONG BOY

Chp.13| Outer Beauty


“I’m not all that sick. Jung Sang is making a big deal. And it’s because of him that I’m not all that sick. He was here all night, taking care of me. I don’t think he got any sleep,” Na-Na explained.

She was sitting upright on her bed with the pillows and cushions supporting her back. The swelling on her forehead wasn’t as big as I thought it would get. She was pale but she looked like she was going to be fine. Park Jung Sang was overreacting because Na-Na wanted to see me.

But then again, Park Jung Sang always overreacted.

I finally understood why he was sleeping beside me when I woke up. Now I felt slightly guilty for yelling at him. The guy was sleep deprived because he had been tending to his neice.

Na-Na reached out to take my hand affectionately. “You look paler than I do. I heard you were sick too.”

“I was, but I’m better. I feel much better. I guess now we should both stay away from the pool.”

Na-Na smiled. “I’m sorry that I lied. I just wanted to do something spontaneous and I wanted you to join me. I’m sorry, Ji Won.”

I reached out to tousle her hair. “It’s okay. As long as you apologize, I’m fine.”

Na-Na raised a curious brow. “Does that mean I can do anything as long as I apologize afterward?”

“No. No. It just means that you shouldn’t---just don’t get in trouble again, because I’m the one responsible for you and your uncle would have my head for it.”

She bobbed her head obediently. “I like you a lot, Ji Won.”

The way she said it made me feel appreciative. I was starting to feel for the little girl. There was something special about her. I just couldn’t place my finger on it.

“Mom, please don’t go in there!” Jung Sang yelled from outside the room.

My body went rigid. Mrs. Park was finally home?

“I’d like to meet this new babysitter of ours,” the elderly woman stated meekly.

Na-Na giggled in reaction. “You’re gonna like her.”

The door opened and in walked a short petite looking middle-aged woman wearing a stylish business suit. She had those eyes that poked right through you. The kind of eyes that indicated what she thought of you at first glance.

And I could tell that she liked me already.

“My, my, my Jung Sang. I never knew you’d find yourself another pretty girlfriend so quickly. A face such as yours can attract pretty girls? I’m impressed.”

I liked her already. She made me fluster the same way her husband did.

Jung Sang strode into the room with his fists balled at his sides. “Now you’ve met her, you can leave,” he said coldy.

“Don’t speak to me that way, Jung Sang,” she barked at him.

He turned his face away without a reply. I like seeing Jung Sang not being in control.

Turning back to regard me, she said, “You’re Lee Ji Won, right?”

I nodded and replied, “Yes.”

“Tell me something, Ji Won. Are you going to break my son’s heart just like that Shin Hye Min snot did?”

“Mom, don’t do this,” Jung Sang interrupted.

So I was right. Shin Hye Min was really her name. And no doubt that it had to be the same person talking to Jung Sang earlier. Shin Hye Min was hi ex-girlfriend. How was I to reply to such a question?

“Uhm…I can’t really answer that…”

She took a step forward and her eyes widened when she asked, “What was that?”

Absentmindedly, I blurted, “I mean. I can’t break his heart because his heart is made out of steel!”

Mrs. Park shaped into a form of an ‘o’.

Jung Sang tugged at his mother’s arm. “Alright, the introductory is over. You can leave.”

Mrs. Park was just as persistent and stubborn as her son. “I need to speak with Lee Ji Won alone. You stay out of this Jung Sang.”

With that, she hooked an arm around mine and led me away. I turned as I walked past Jung Sang who gave me one of those ‘don’t-mess-this-up’ looks.

--

Mrs. Park and I had our discussion over a cup of tea.

She took a small sip from her cup, leaving behind her red lip print. “How long have you liked my son?”

I’ve always wondered. How come old aging women weren’t aware that scarlet red lipstick looked terrible on them?

I looked down at my teacup. “Well…we just met each other.”

“And you’re together?”

Taking drama class helped. You could say that I’m a good actor. It was time to step into the role of the sweet and innocent girlfriend that Jung Sang wanted. “We’re practically in the same classes and since I’m the only person that Jung Sang talks to, he asked me if I wanted to become his girlfriend.”

“Just like that?”

“Yes.”

“Tell me something else, Ji Won. Do you think my son is attractive? Be honest with me.”

Be honest, Ji Won. Don’t lie. “I find your son very attractive. Although he tends to hide himself.”

“Jung Sang has been insulted numerous of times for his looks. He’s always believed that he was ugly because of one girl’s insult.”

One insult can do so much damage to a poor guy's ego. Jung Sang was an example of that. “I came across Jung Sang’s picture. He had long hair then. It…was kind of strange. I thought he was a girl. Why would he want to uglify himself like that?”

She looked puzzlingly at me. “Uglify?”

“I mean---why doesn’t he want to prove to them that he’s not what he makes himself to be?”

Mrs. Park let out a little sigh. “I don’t understand either. I don’t think I ever will.” She leaned in closer. “Listen closely. Next week, my husband and I are celebrating our 20th year anniversary. I was thinking that perhaps you could help us.”

I almost choked on my tea. “Help in what way?”

“Clean him up a little. I want him to look presentable in front of everyone. I want him to behave like a gentleman. You think you could help us?”

“Uhm..I can try.”

Mrs. Park crossed her arms in front of her chest as if she demanded it. “Trying is not good enough, Ji Won. I want you to do it. I’m counting on you.”

I gave her one of my underlying smiles and nodded in agreement.

I don’t know what I was thinking taking on that task. My hands were full already, considering I had Na-Na to take care of. Now I had to take care of the uncle too? To be more exact, I had to change him into a gentleman.

Park Jung Sang was no gentleman. He was a monster. I needed more than a week’s time.

Aiiigoo! But I don’t have that much time!

--

Later that evening, I met up with Kim Soo Jin inside one of our favorite restaurants. Soo Jin was hungry for ramen again. She had to have her ramen at least once a week.

She chewed hungrily at her noodles while speaking to me. “Yah! Ji Won-ah. You have a real problem on your hands. If you don’t like any of it, why do you even agree?!”

“You don’t understand, Soo Jin. It’s the kid. I’m doing this all for her.”

“Don’t tell me you have a thing for kids, Ji Won.”

“I have this attachment to her. I feel like I have to take care of her. In a way I feel like I have to protect her,” I exclaimed.

“Ugh. You’re just losing your mind, that’s all.”

I shoved her in the head. “Eat your damn food.”

She half-choked and sputtered out. “I’m trying to!”

I stared down at my fidgeting fingers. “Whatever happened to my normal life, Soo Jin?”

She pushed aside her finished bowl. “Are you stupid? No one’s life is normal.” She belched loudly before continuing, catching the attention of the others who sat nearby. “Anyhow, I have analogy. I heard it from somewhere. You can drag a horse to the river but you can’t make him drink. That is how I see Jung Sang as.”

Soo Jin was right about that. I plopped my head down against the table, stomping my feet repeatedly against the floor like a distressed child.

“Ji Won, don’t be that way,” Soo Jin said, tapping on my shoulder. “Oh sh*t, Ji Won. Look who just entered.”

I raised my head to the entrance to see a pretty looking young woman with her friend. They were taking snapshots of themselves with their camera phone.

I heard Soo Jin mumbling, “I envy people like them, they look good anywhere they go.”

I had to squint to see clearer. I really think I need glasses. The two girls were giggling happily while doing stupid poses and taking snap shots of each other. And then they chose a seat at the far end, adjacent to us. “What? You envy plastic people?”

“They’re not plastic, Ji Won. You’re looking at the beautiful Shin Hye Min!” she said with excitement in her tone.

It was my turn to mumble. Shin Hye Min was pretty, but she wasn’t all that great looking in real life. “I heard she isn’t all that real. She had her eyelids done.”

“Well, I guess only your Pingpongboy knows the truth. He used to date her, didn’t he?”

This Shin Hye Min character was slowly working her way into my life. There was no way I could avoid her. Everywhere I went now, our life seems to emerge one way or another.

I caught her looking in our direction. She stood up and walked over to us. A smile spread on her face the moment she reached our table. “Lee Ji Won? I heard all about you.”

I had to force a smile on my own face. “Really? From who?”

“Kim Tae Woo told me everything. I heard you’re dating Park Jung Sang now.”

I was going to kill Kim Tae Woo. “Uh…”

“It’s okay, I don’t mind.”

Sure you don’t mind. My you don’t mind. You came to me for a reason. You wanted to stick your nose into my business so that you can make yourself look good, you snotty b*tch!

She giggled. It was one of them small giggles that went so well with her pretty face. “You’re very pretty. I don’t understand why you had to use my picture,” she remarked slyly.

Oh gosh. Tae Woo was definitely going to die. I caught Soo Jin freezing like a statue as if she done something wrong.

“But don’t worry, I don’t mind.” The way she said it proved to me that she making fun of me. I really didn’t like this Shin Hye Min character. She reminded me too much of the evil conniving characters in them stories.

“I’m sorry that I can’t be opened like you. If only I had the self-confidence you have. You think I’d become as popular as you?” I retorted.

The smile on her face immediately disappeared.

Her hand purposely shot out to knock the water over, causing it to spill onto my lap. She covered . “Oh gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…oh I’m really sorry.”

I take it back. Shin Hye Min was indeed a two-face b*tch.

I held out my hand when she made an awful attempt to help me by using the already stained napkins. “No, no. It’s okay.” I quickly snatched what was left of Soo Jin’s noodles and splashed it onto her face. I covered my own mouth. “Oh gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…oh I’m really sorry,” I mimicked her. And then I added, “Soo Jin-ah. Quickly, use your camera phone and take a snap shot of this.”

Soo Jin didn't hesitate. She took one quick shot before I pulled her along with me. We were almost out of the door when a male figure blocked our path. “I saw that,” came the unmistakable voice belonging to Park Jung Sang.

I looked up at his face. At first he was glaring and then slowly his expression softened and a smile appeared. “That was good.” With that, he took hold of my hand and led me away.