Murder

Forbidden Fate

She was panting heavily, and not jsut from running.

 

A frantic glance over her shoulder was all she needed to propel herself more. About three or five men were on her tail, shouting at her and trying to shoot her but the bullets hit the floor next to her feet instead. She tripped, but stood up again shakily, clenching her teeth. Stumbling throughout the street, she willed her legs to carry her forward for just a little bit more.

 

Bang!

 

She screamed out in pain as the bullet hit her shoulder, veering her off course and causing her to crash onto the stone floor. She stayed still on the ground, groaning in pain, biting her lips in desperation. Footsteps sounded close to her and she sat up slowly, trying to add pressure onto her wound.

 

“You.....” she glared up at the person in front of her, her chest heaving. “You bastard!”

 

The man in front of her shook his head. “Think carefully about who you’re talking to here. Everyone is happy, so what’s the problem?”

 

“Everything!” She screamed at him. “Everything you’re doing is wrong! How could you?!”

 

“How....could I?” The man produced a gun out of thin air, pressing it to her temple. “You don’t need to know. You’re going to die here anyways.” The thumb tightened on the trigger.

 

She glared fiercely at him with no hint of fear in her eyes, only determination. Seeing this, the man hesitated for while, and she used this to her advantage. A powerful kick to his legs had him sprawling on the floor, while she took a knife from her belt and stabbed it right in the middle of his hand. The man shrieked out in agony, writhing on the floor as dark blood started to spread.

 

“Never hesitate to hit your enemy.” She stared coldly into his eyes, holding down his head firmly so that he wouldn’t escape. “I shouldn't pity someone like you."

 

He stared back at her blankly, and it was a second too late before she noticed the smirk spreading on his lips. She jumped up-

 

And fell down to the floor like a rag doll, a knife protruding out of her back. The last thing she heard was the soft murmuring of the man before everything went black, and then she was still.

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

When someone knocks on your door at 2 o’clock in the morning, it’s not good news for sure.

 

“General Wolfe? And Lieutenant too?” Kyungsoo stood at the doorway, blinking sleepily in his pajamas, squinting at the two people before him. “Is there something wrong?”

 

“I need you to come with us,” General Wolfe said seriously. Kyungsoo was instantly awake and alert at hearing the general’s grave tone.

 

“Why? What happened?”

 

“General, you shouldn’t-“Alex interjected, but the general held up a hand to silence her and shook his head. She stepped back, her expression full of worry.

 

“I’m sorry, Colonel. Your sister is dead.”

 

Kyungsoo blinked for a while, unsure of what he just heard. Then it sank in: why they were calling him in the middle of the night, why their faces were etched with such expression full of grief. He was frozen for while, then suddenly Alex was there, patting his shoulders, trying to comfort him. He clenched his fists in anger.

 

“Who was it?” He was surprised by his own eerily calm voice.

 

“Colonel, you need to calm down-“

 

Who was it?!” He roared angrily, glaring at Alex. “Who did it?!”

 

“I....” She looked scared for while, then she stepped back, her hand dropping down to her sides in defeat. “We believe it was a man named Jongin, sir.”

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

“Kim Jongin. Age, about 17 years old. A ruthless Inferior that has caused many riots before but has never been caught. Details about his family are unknown. His face is also unknown to us, as he hardly appears in front of public.”

 

Alex set down the papers on the desk, glancing nervously to see Kyungsoo’s reaction. He sat calmly on his seat, brooding over his thoughts.

 

“How did you know it was him?”

 

“We found a pendant on the scene that had his name etched on it. It can’t be mistaken, sir.” She walked forward and set the pendant on the table. It was a fine blue stone with the name K. Jongin printed on it in tiny gold letters. Kyungsoo reached out and took hold of it in his fingers, admiring the way it shone under the light.

 

“What were his motives?” Kyungsoo murmured. Jongin was particularly the most wanted criminal now in the Republic, famous for his guerilla attacks against the unknowing country.  “Why did he kill my sister....?”

 

“We’re still investigating on this matter. Meanwhile, the general wishes to see you in his office, sir.”

 

“I’ll be there in a moment. You may leave.”

 

“Yes sir.” She bowed, then exited the room.

 

Kyungsoo stayed for a while, sitting still in his seat. A single tear fell down his cheek as he ripped the papers apart in a mixture of anger and despair, banging his fists down on the desk.

 

“I’ll protect you.”

 

“You liar,” Kyungsoo whispered, his shoulders shaking. “You lied to me, Vic.”

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo walked down the corridor, ignoring the brief glances and cautious whispered directed at him. He kept his eyes straight ahead, clenching his fists tightly. Turning around the corner, he walked briskly into the room up ahead.

 

“Ah, there you are, Colonel.” General Wolfe stood up as he walked into his office. “I’ve been waiting.”

 

“Yes, sir.” Kyungsoo bowed respectfully. “How may I be of use?”

 

“You see, we’re still investigating on the death of you sister.” Kyungsoo flinched a little at the words. “If you want, I can put you in charge of this project.”

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes and looked up. “Sir, this is-“

 

“However,” the general interrupted, “it will not be easy. You will have to act like an Inferior and investigate in the dumps of the Republic. Rumors are that Jongin resides there.”

 

“You mean, like a spy?”

 

“Exactly. However, if your cover is blown, no one can save you. You are alone on your own, until you find Jongin or you decide to give up and come home. Think carefully about it, okay?” He reached out and patted Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

Kyungsoo held his gaze steadily for a while, then saluted. “Yes, sir.” He turned around to leave, only to look back curiously, his eyes focusing on something.

 

“Sir, your....”

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

Kyungsoo snapped out of his senses, blinking a few times. “Uh, no. Nothing.”

 

He bowed respectfully then walked out, sighing as the doors closed behind him.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

The funeral was held one week later. Ironically, it just happened be to raining at the time.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t bother to bring an umbrella. He just watched silently as the coffin was raised and then slowly dropped into the hole in the ground. Kyungsoo didn’t know if he was crying, or if it was just the rain. He was wiping his face with his sleeve when a hand reached out to tap his shoulder. It was Alex, and she was holding an umbrella over his head.

 

“You’ll catch a cold, sir,” she said quietly.

 

“I don’t care,” he murmured. He watched as General Wolfe walked up and delivered the farewell speech.

 

“Victoria was one of my best colleagues. Brave, independent, and always following what she thinks is right, she.....”

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t listening at all. Maybe it was just him, but General Wolfe didn’t sound the least bit sad. Was it because they’re soldiers, that they shouldn’t show any emotions? Not even for a fallen comrade? Are they just killing machines, made to exterminate enemies of the Republic?

 

Goddamit. Kyungsoo felt like punching something.

 

General Wolfe finished his speech. There was a moment of silence that felt eerily morose and gloomy. Kyungsoo looked up at the sky, surprised.

 

“Ah, it stopped.” He smiled, the tears still visible on his face. Alex looked at him sadly.

 

“The rain stopped.”

 

 

 

A week later, he accepted the general’s proposal and began his first mission-alone.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

The first thing Kyungsoo noticed when he walked into the dumps was how old and foul it looked. There was garbage littered everywhere and somehow it had a disgusting smell, one that made Kyungsoo want to gag. The buildings were antique looking and felt like artifacts of some sort. Some looked like they had been bombed, with chunks of rock and cement crumpled on the floor.

 

Kyungsoo was dressed in a plain, black t-shirt with jeans so old that the blue color had faded. At one time, he had wanted to throw them away, but now he was glad he didn’t. A satchel was slung over his shoulder, containing some food and water. He had also secretly bought a gun and a few extra bullets, just in case. As Kyungsoo passed the people in the streets, he was relieved to see that he didn’t stand out from them. The minor cut on his cheek from his childhood training would come in handy too, as he noticed many of the Inferiors had wounds and scars covering their bodies. He turned around a corner, and that’s when he made his biggest mistake.

 

For he had stumbled into the middle of what seemed to be a fight.

 

For a moment, Kyungsoo was lost in the sea of Inferiors around him who kept pushing him around. Somehow he ended up in front of the crowd, and that’s when his eyes grew wide with shock.

 

“Fight! Give him a good punch, Maurice!”

 

“Yeah, take him down!”

 

People around him were screaming and shouting and laughing, but the scene in front of him horrified Kyungsoo. A little boy no older than ten was being pushed out into the wide empty space in the middle of the crowd, while his opponent, a burly looking man, stood there cracking his fists. The little boy was screaming with fright while another person was grabbing onto him to prevent him from going out, but suddenly he was there, standing and trembling in front of the big man named Maurice. Kyungsoo watched them in agitated silence.

 

“Poor, poor boy. You ready to go down?” The crowd jeered and laughed. Money was being passed around to a man in front, and that’s when Kyungsoo realized that they were betting. Betting on a little boy’s life for money.

 

Maurice loomed over him, watching with glee as the boy stood with head high, but Kyungsoo noticed that his knees were shaking badly. He gritted his teeth with disgust, and that’s when he acted on instinct without thinking.

 

“You s! Go pick on someone your own size!” He roared.

 

Dead silence.

 

Realizing his own mistake, he watched, frozen, as hundreds of eyes set their attention on him. He gulped nervously.

 

“Oh ho?” Maurice turned his eyes at him, an ugly smirk on his face. He eyed Kyungsoo up and down. “So are you one of those, what was it again? Savior of justice?” He laughed loudly, and the crowd did too.

 

Kyungsoo clenched his fists. “I don’t care about who I am, but picking on a little boy? How low can you get?” His voice echoed throughout the crowd as they fell silent, whispering in hushed voices.

 

“Yeah? How about you come replace him them?”

 

Kyungsoo felt his throat become dry. He had promised himself not to attract attention to himself. His first day on the mission, and he was going to screw it up. His conscience screamed at him to run away, but then his feet wouldn’t let him. He couldn’t just leave the little boy to die.

 

Kyungsoo made up his mind and stared back steadily at Maurice.

 

“Why not?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Jongin introduced....sort of :P