Realization

Forbidden Fate

"Sir, this is too dangerous. If something happens"

 

"I don’t care what happens. These are orders by the higher ups. Do as they say.” A handsome young man stared sternly at the redheaded woman who had just spoken, his face serious.

 

“But he might even go berserk–“

 

“If he does, then it proves that he is not strong enough, and he is too dependent on the power. We do not need samples that weak.”

 

“Then how about we erase his memories?”

 

Both eyes turned to another man who was leaning casually against the wall, a smile on his face. The younger widened his eyes in wonder while the woman snorted.

 

“Memories? There’s a possibility–“

 

“–But it’s risky,” The woman finished, glaring at him. The other man laughed.

 

“Then why not test it out? If you succeed, the boy lives, and may still prove to be useful. If you fail or do nothing, the boy goes berserk and dies. Clearly you can see which side is more beneficial.”

 

“I don't’ know,” The younger man murmured. Then a look of determination in his eyes replaced the doubt. “No matter. We will carry it out and erase his memories. Afterwards we will replace them with fake ones.”

 

The woman looked troubled, but she nodded slowly. The other man smiled in approval, then walked over to the bed where the boy was quietly lying, looking as if he was sleeping.

 

“Now then, show us how strong you are, my lovely boy–“

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

Tao was sitting by the fire outside when Kai and Kyungsoo teleported back, stepping lightly on the leaves. He stood up abruptly, nearing knocking over a bucket of water in the process.

 

“Kai! You’re alright!”

 

“Of course I am,” Kai grumbled, narrowing his eyes. “I just went out for a walk, no need to be that worried.”

 

“Oh.” Tao’s face fell in shame, and Kai laughed, stepping over to ruffle his hair. “It’s okay.”

 

Kyungso his lips nervously from beside then started to advance towards the cabin. Kai noticed and followed him after some more words with Tao. Kyungsoo pointedly ignored him until they reached his room, then he whirled around, biting his lip.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“What am I doing?” Kai stopped and smirked, leaning casually against the wall next to Kyungsoo. “Just so you know, there’s only three rooms in total in this cabin. So your room is basically my room as well.”

 

“Hah?!” Kyungsoo squeaked in disbelief. “I am not sharing a room with you. Go find Sehun.”

 

“Sehun is in fact sharing a room with Luhan,” Kai pointed out, still smirking. “I don’t understand why you’re so in denial. You were so bold in your confession earlier.”

 

Kyungsoo blushed as the memory. “T-That doesn’t mean I’ll let you sleep with me.”

 

Kai stared at him for a few seconds with his eyes wide, then he laughed. “I won’t do anything to you, I promise. I’ll sleep on the floor okay?” He didn’t wait for an answer, only walked inside and took off his jacket. Before Kyungsoo could say anything, he had started to take off his shirt too. He yelped in surprise and Kai looked back at him like he was crazy.

 

“What?”

 

“W-Why are you taking your shirt off?” Kyungsoo said, glaring down at the floor in embarrassment.

 

“Because I need to change...?” Kai said, bewildered. Kyungsoo waved his hand dismissively and snatched his clothes before mumbling “I’ll go take a shower first,” and disappearing into the bathroom. He closed the door and sighed, proceeding to strip down his clothes and step into the shower.

 

Would you like your water hot or cold? Kyungsoo nearly jumped at the computer voice spoken in his head, and breathed out in annoyance. “Hot please.”

 

To Kyungsoo’s dismay, Kai was lounging on his bed when he stepped out of the bathroom, sleeping peacefully. His hair was adorably tousled, and there was a small smile on his face as he mumbled in his sleep. Kyungsoo sighed again and sat down on the bed next to him, gazing fondly at the younger.

 

“What am I going to do with you,” Kyungsoo murmured softly, hand reaching out to brush Kai’s cheek. There was a quiver of movement, then Kai’s eyes flickered open, blinking dreamily as he saw Kyungsoo.

 

“Hey.” He whispered softly, a dopey smile on his face. Kyungsoo chuckled and his hand moved upwards to pet Kai’s hair.

 

“I thought you were going to sleep on the floor,” Kyungsoo teased while Kai closed his eyes drowsily.

 

“Too tired to move.” His words came out slurred. Kyungsoo laughed gently and climbed into bed, snuggling up against Kai.

 

“Today’s an exception then,” He whispered against Kai’s neck. Kai murmured happily and s his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist, pressing a kiss on his head.

 

“I want everyday to be an exception.”

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo woke up to the warm feeling of someone’s arms around him. Kai.

 

He turned over gently, and chuckled as Kai whined and opened his eyes drowsily, blinking at Kyungsoo and groaning.

 

“Why are you up so early?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled and leaned forward to softly press his lips against Kai’s, who gladly obliged, hand reaching out to trail around Kyungsoo’s neck. They broke apart, and Kyungsoo sat up, sighing as Kai grabbed his hand.

 

“Kyungsoo, stay.”

 

“Kai, it’s 7 already. We should be getting up and–“

 

“Not that,” Kai interrupted, shaking his head. “I meant that you stay–with me–forever. Here.”

 

Oh. Kyungsoo in a breath, then bit his lip hard. “I can’t.”

 

“Yes you can.” Kai’s voice was soothingly persuasive. “We’ll......run away together. All of us. Away from all this war and bloodshed. I’ll protect you.”

 

“But I.....I–“

 

Kai sat up and embraced Kyungsoo, who squeaked at the sudden contact. “Forget about all those hatred. Just let go. Stay with me.”

 

“It’s not that easy, Kai,” Kyungsoo pushed against his chest and stared steadily into his eyes. “I can’t find myself to just see my sister’s death as nothing. I have to do this. For her.”

 

“You hate yourself.”

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes in surprise and shock. Kai looked at him calmly, waiting for a stinging reply, but it never came. Kyungsoo opened his mouth but closed it again, not sure what to say.

 

“You hate yourself,” Kai whispered gently, continuing on. “You’re seeking revenge because you want to find a way of showing­­–proving that you didn’t kill her. But you blame yourself. You think that it’s your fault that she died.”

 

Kyungsoo in a breath, his eyebrows knitted together. “That’s not true­–“

 

“You know it is, Kyungsoo.” Kai shifted over so that he was right in front of Kyungsoo, their faces inches apart. “Don’t lie to yourself.”

 

Unable to hold gazes with Kai, Kyungsoo looked away, staring down at the floor. The younger had just seen through him, like he was reading his heart. Kai leaned forward and gently put his arms around Kyungsoo, hugging the other boy in a tight embrace.

 

“H-How­–“ Kyungsoo’s bottom lip trembled, and he had to force himself not to cry.

 

“Don’t ask,” Kai murmured into his ear, making Kyungsoo shiver. “Let it all out.”

 

For the first time in three weeks, Kyungsoo let out all his tears, his sadness, his anger at not being able to protect the only person he ever loved. He let it all be washed away, as Kai gently kissed his eyelids and rubbed off his tears. Kyungsoo kept holding onto Kai, not wanting to let go of this warmth.

 

Then Kyungsoo realized he wanted to stay. Because Kai was now the person he loved, the person who changed him.

 

 

 

                                                 

~+~

 

 

 

 

“Wonderful, just wonderful!” The other man was clapping his hands in awe, staring down at the tube of red liquid in front of them. The younger man just stood with his mouth wide open, while the woman clutched at his arm, squeezing it furiously but the man was too occupied to feel it.

 

“We.....we did it....” he whispered. The woman gulped, stepping back. “We did it, and he’s still alive!”

 

The boy was still unconscious, his face eerily calm and peaceful. The woman took another step back, shaking her head.

 

“I don’t know.....I don’t know if we should have done this­–“

 

“Don’t look so afraid, Milliane–“ The young man said, smiling and reaching out for her. “You succeeded! If it weren’t for you, we would never have–“

 

He never finished his sentence. The woman named Milliane watched in horror as blood poured over his lips. Even he himself looked surprised, as his eyes widened and he toppled over. The woman screamed, hand over , and before she knew it, she was on her knees, sobbing and begging the man to open his eyes.

 

“Jack, Jack! Please–“ A shadow loomed over her.

 

She looked up in horror at the other man, who had a cruel, sharp knife in hand. Blood dripped down from its blade, while a sadistic smile painted his face.

 

“Well, well, guess what?” The man laughed hysterically. “You both aren’t needed anymore.”

 

The woman’s head reeled, and she shifted back, even though she knew it was useless. “What are you doing?!”

 

“What do you think?” The man’s eyes glinted under the white lights. “Orders are orders. I've been ordered to kill you two, so that the secret of this experiment will never be leaked. What a shame." He leaned down to the woman and took a strand of her lovely, reddish brown hair. "I would have loved to see more."

 

“.....W-what secret?! What are you, insane?!” The woman trembled under his feet. “You would kill without any hesitation?! Just what are you planning to do with the boy?”

 

“Not me," the man corrected, brushing his thumb slowly against the tip of the knife as if he had all the time in the world. Blood smeared his fingers. "We. I would love to show you, my dear Milliane, but I’m afraid you won’t live long enough to see. Now please go join Jack in hell.” He smiled sweetly before raising the knife.

 

There was a slash, and a scream, and then blood painted the white walls.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo later watched Kai as he drifted to sleep that night, murmuring words that didn’t make sense to Kyungsoo. He was tired, but for some reason he couldn’t sleep, so he instead turned his attention onto the younger boy.

 

“Mhm.....stop....” Kai seemed to be having a nightmare, and Kyungsoo chuckled gently, smoothing down his black hair and patting his head comfortingly. Kai continued to squirm, beads of sweat appearing on his forehead as Kyungsoo watched worriedly, wondering if he should wake the boy up. It surely must be something horrible, as Kai couldn’t stop shivering.

 

“I.... I didn’t...” Kai cried out, a spasm running down his body. “Don’t......take him....away....”

 

Don’t take him away? Kyungsoo frowned and bit his lip. What on earth was Kai dreaming about?

 

Then out of the corner of his eye, he widened his eyes in shock as Kai reached out and grabbed at something near his neck. When Kyungsoo leaned forward to see, he found that nothing was there. Blood turned to ice inside his veins.

 

Kai had grabbed at the ghost of a necklace.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Dan dan dan!!! *inserts dramatic music* Our Kaisoo fluff was so ephemeral *bows in apology*

Anyways, I've been loving those people who wrote comments expressing their theory about what is going to happen next. And to you silent readers (like about 100+ of my subscribers are silent readers) please write a comment and say that you love it (or hate it). Comments make me happy :D

And lastly I just want to thank all of you guys who put up with this story so far <3 Darn it my author's note is getting long....