Truth (Part 2)

Forbidden Fate

 

Kyungsoo felt his heart stop. His mind wasn’t working anymore. He stood up shakily, only to fall back down as his legs crashed into the table.

 

 

“Kyungsoo! Oh my god, what the hell happened to you?!” Victoria took one look at his scruffy clothes and matted hair, along with the big purple bruise on his cheek. Kyungsoo stared at her with those defiant, proud eyes and folded his arms.

 

“They were bullying Sehun, so I taught them a lesson.” Victoria rolled her eyes and led him to sit on the bed. The house robot bought in a first aid kit.

 

“Seriously.....you need to stop getting into trouble.” Victoria muttered while taking out a cotton bud. “I know Sehun is your friend and all–“ She stopped.

 

“What?” Kyungsoo grumbled impatiently. Victoria stared at his face in shock.

 

“Your bruise....it’s.....gone....”

 

 

 

 

“Vic, what were our parents like before they died?” Kyungsoo asked one day while Victoria was preparing dinner.

 

“Huh?” His sister laughed and looked back at him. “Why would you ask that?”

 

“I just.....” Kyungsoo looked at his feet. “I just wonder what it’s like to have parents, that’s all.”

 

Victoria stopped chopping carrots. Kyungsoo looked up, surprised and ashamed at himself.

 

“Vic, I’m sorry, I shouldn't have asked you that–“

 

“No.” Victoria closed her eyes. “You have the right to know. And one day, maybe you will. I’m sure no matter where your parents are, they’ll be proud of you.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled at the words, but he didn’t see the way Victoria had her teeth clenched, and her fists scrunched up tightly.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes.

 

He knew. He had known it all along. The subtle hints were here and there, how could he have missed it?

 

He had always been different. People would look at him with those admiring eyes, whispering about his skills, his strength, and his amazing intelligence. The higher-ups looked at him with fear, sometimes even jealousy. No-one except Sehun or Victoria could challenge him in a fight one-on-one. His wounds had always miraculously healed without him doing anything.

 

I’m a test subject.

 

Kyungsoo slammed his fist against the wall.

 

No, that’s not it.

 

I’m not Victoria’s brother. We’re not even related.

 

I’m an Inferior.

 

“So they thought they could brainwash me and let me pledge loyalty to the Republic, huh....” Kyungsoo clenched his teeth in anger. “Ridiculous.” He looked down at his navy blue uniform, the one he always wore for work.

 

“Then....” Kyungsoo in a breath. “Who am I?” He looked down at his hands, mulling.

 

He was interrupted by the doorbell ringing, followed by shouting and yelling. Kyungsoo stood up at once, tucking in the diary under the bed and closing the laptop. He walked to the front door and opened it.

 

Three soldiers stood outside, accompanied by a drone. Kyungsoo swept his cold gaze over them.

 

“Is something the matter?”

 

One of the soldiers flinched. “Where were you sir, in the morning at around 10:30am?”

 

“Where was I? I was....” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

 

I was in MR238.

 

His eyes narrowed suspiciously, and he decided to question them instead. “Why do you need to know this?”

 

“No specific reason sir.” Another soldier spoke up, swallowing nervously. “The higher-ups wanted to know.”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Well, I was cleaning up my dog’s , if you really wanted to know.” The soldiers went red and coughed uncomfortably.

 

“O-Okay sir. Sorry to have disturbed you.” They walked out, bowed respectfully, then closed the door with a soft slam.

 

Kyungsoo sighed in relief, but then he was instantly alert. His hand reached out for the doorknob.

 

They’ve found out that someone has been into the room.

 

Hurriedly, he opened the door again and rushed out quietly, following the soldiers.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

“You’ve went through all of them?” From behind the doors of General Wolfe’s room, Kyungsoo eavesdropped on the conversation. He sensed the soldiers shuffling nervously as General Wolfe spoke.

 

“Yes sir. I just went through all the officers, none seem like suspects–“

 

The general snorted. “Do you think the culprit will just walk up to you and turn himself in?”

 

“N-No sir.”

 

“Of course not.” Kyungsoo listened as the soldiers mumbled something that he couldn’t hear. He leaned in closer to the door, frowning.

 

The door was wrenched open without any warning and Kyungsoo toppled forward onto the ground. Instantly soldiers were on top of him, locking his arms and legs in a tight grip. Another went up to him and tugged on his hair, forcing his head up. He coughed, struggling and tried to process what was going on.

 

Kyungsoo’s gaze landed upon the general, who was smiling mildly. His eyes narrowed to slits.

 

“Y-You­–!”

 

The general shook his head in mock disappointment. “Kyungsoo, didn’t your parents teach you not eavesdrop? Oh wait, you don’t have any parents.”

 

Kyungsoo stiffened in anger and lashed out, trying to struggle free. “You­–ajfkldjsmmmf–“ A dirty rag was stuffed into his mouth, preventing him from speaking any more. Kyungsoo glared up at the general, who gestured towards the soldiers.

 

“Bring him down into the room and watch him,” he ordered, drumming his fingers on the desk. “Oh, and please silence him. I don’t want any screaming of the sort.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as a cloth was pressed violently over his nose. Instantly, he started to feel drowsy, his vision swimming in circles.

 

This sensation......it’s an anesthetic....!

 

Darkness swallowed him whole before he could think of anything more.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

White. That was all he could see.

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes, staring at the blinding ceiling. Blinking groggily for a few times, he tried to sit up.

 

Clank!

 

Handcuffs were on his wrists and his ankles, preventing him from doing any big movements. Kyungsoo lay back down on the bed and tried to process what happened.

 

The white lights are so blinding.

 

Wait, have I been here before?

 

Kyungsoo shivered at the familiarity. Footsteps sounded close to him, echoing across the room. Kyungsoo stiffened and closed his eyes.

 

“He’s still out cold,” Kyungsoo heard an unfamiliar voice say. “We should wait until he wakes up­–“

 

“How much does he remember?” At the sound of the general’s voice, Kyungsoo’s ears perked up. “I think he knows.”

 

“He still shouldn’t remember most of it,” The unfamiliar voice continued. “But yes, he knows enough. He should be eliminated immediately.” Kyungsoo’s fists tightened at the words.

 

“Yes,” the general’s soft voice said, “But he can still prove to be useful.”

 

“You mean the other boy? He’s gone already, he shouldn't–“

 

“He’ll be back,” The general interrupted. Kyungsoo stiffened again.

 

They’re talking about Kai.

 

The general gestured towards Kyungsoo. “Release him, and prepare for Plan A.”

 

“Yes sir.” Kyungsoo felt the handcuffs on his wrists and ankles loosen, and he tensed a little.

 

Not yet. Wait until he comes closer. Kyungsoo felt someone touch his arm.

 

That’s when he acted, springing to life. The man in front of him yelped in surprise and reached out clumsily for his gun in his back pocket. Kyungsoo slammed his fingers into the man’s throat before he could fire his weapon, and he crumpled onto the floor, gasping.

 

Kyungsoo acted quickly. He leapt forward and took hold of the gun on the floor with one hand, while he took his small pocketknife with the other hand and threw it towards the general. The general dodged the knife by a millimeter and reached out for his gun–

 

Bang!

 

General Wolfe froze. Smoke came up from the floor, the place where his foot was a second ago.

 

“Don’t move,” Kyungsoo said, his voice deep and thick with anger. “Or I’ll put a bullet in your head.”

 

The general stared at him, his eyes not afraid. He held his hands up. “All right, you got me.”

 

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth. Is he making fun of me? He watched as the general smiled mildly.

 

“I knew it was you who broke into MR238.”

 

Kyungsoo’s hand tightened on the trigger. “Tell me everything you know. What were those bodies? Alchemy? Immortality?”

 

The general laughed. “No wonder you’re Kyungsoo.” He gestured towards a chair near him. “May I sit down?” When Kyungsoo made no response, he walked towards the chair and sat down, still smiling pleasantly.

 

“The Republic has been at war constantly with other countries. We’re a new colony. We’re not as strong enough as the others. This country, known as “Korea” to Inferiors, is the first country we’ve conquered.” The general paused. Kyungsoo listened in cold silence.

 

“But, many lives were lost. The Republic lost half their soldiers to the war. And so, I decided that something had to be done.” He looked up at Kyungsoo. “I guess you already know about it.”

 

Kyungsoo clenched his teeth. “Immortal soldiers. That’s why you were researching alchemy.”

 

“That’s right. But to achieve this–“

 

“You needed the blood of Outcasts,” Kyungsoo said, his voice etched with rage. “And a bunch of human test subjects.”

 

“Very good,” The general nodded, ignoring Kyungsoo’s growing anger. “I guess you’ve read the reports. Not many of the test subjects survived however. Very unfortunate. Very unfortunate indeed.”

 

“The remaining people who survived, their minds are still being processed and analyzed. But it won’t be long before they wake up.” The general laughed in excitement. “With them, we can make a perfect world–“

 

Kyungsoo’s arm shook, and he tried desperately to keep it still. “You killed Victoria, didn’t you?”

 

The general stopped laughing, his face turning grim. “I’m afraid not. I did not kill her personally.” He sighed. “She was a good girl. If only she hadn’t tried to reveal the project–“

 

“Then who killed her?!” Kyungsoo screamed, his arm shaking more violently now. “Tell me or I’ll shoot!”

 

The general looked unfazed, and instead looked past Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Why don’t you see for yourself?” He pointed to someone behind Kyungsoo, and he turned around instantly, eyes wild with hysteria.

 

He gasped.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

GUYS I AM BACKKKK :D So glad it's summer. I can finally update normally, which is probably at least two times a week :D Hope you guys liked this chapter!!

 

P.S. I have been writing fanfics in my phone so please anticipate a new Hunhan fanfic soon! This story is probs ending soon~ :'(