The Republic

Forbidden Fate

Kyungsoo woke up to the sound of whining noises from the kitchen.

 

It was a bright sunny day outside, but inside the room the curtains were shut. Streaks of sunlight made its way inside the room through the tiny spaces. Groaning loudly, Kyungsoo reached out for the remote control and pressed a button. Instantly, the curtains pulled open.

 

“How would you like your room to be designed today?” A computer like voice spoke out of nowhere. “Would you want the classic style-“ the room turned into a castle of some sort, “or how about a modern style?” The room turned into a high tech apartment. “Or if you don’t like any of these-“

 

“The modern one will be fine,” Kyungsoo interrupted, waving his hand dismissively. He got out of bed, yawning softly.

 

“As you wish.” The room turned back into the high tech design with sparkling white marble floors and walls. Kyungsoo walked into the bathroom, stripping down his clothes and stepping into the shower, letting the cold water rain down his body.

 

As soon as he stepped out of the shower, he made his way to the mirror while drying his hair.

 

“How would you like to be dressed today?” The voice spoke again. Kyungsoo sighed.

 

“Uniform, please.”

 

“As you wish.” In a spark of a second, he was transformed into his dark blue and white uniform, with white pants and black boots. He smoothed his shirt down and checked that his watch was on his wrist before walking out of his room.

 

A golden retriever puppy came running out of nowhere, jumping onto Kyungsoo’s chest. Taken back by surprise, he fell backwards on his back, laughing as the puppy his face.

 

“Stop it Caramel, that tickles!” He pulled the puppy off him. “Where you the one making all that noise in the kitchen?” The puppy woofed in delight.

 

“Nope, it was me.” A high-pitched voice rang out. Kyungsoo looked up to see his sister standing before him with a steaming pot in her hands. She set the pot on the table, wiping her hands and gesturing to it.

 

“Here, I made porridge for you. Eat up.”

 

“Vic, I told you that our housekeeper can cook for us, you don’t have to do this,” Kyungsoo said, standing up. Victoria narrowed her eyes at him while taking off her apron.

 

“Of course I know that. The thing is, you have to admit that my cooking’s much better than an weird robot.” She gestured over to the automaton standing in the living room, which seemed like it was watching television.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head and held up his hands in defeat. “Alright, alright.”

 

He sat down at the table with Caramel curled up by his legs. Taking a sip of the porridge, he was surprised at how the warm creaminess made it seem so much tastier than the cold breakfast he had everyday. Victoria sat down opposite him and smiled at his expression.

 

“Told you.”

 

“It’s really good,” Kyungsoo commented, taking one sip after another. He noticed that Victoria wasn’t wearing her uniform. “You’re not going to work today?”

 

“Nope. I have a day off today,” she said with glee. “Jealous?”

 

“Not fair,” Kyungsoo retorted, setting down his spoon on the table.

 

“Of course it is. I’m a general, unlike you.” Victoria took her apron and hung it on the chair.

 

“I still think that it’s dangerous for a girl like you to be doing this kind of stuff.”

 

“For God’s sake-” she turned around to glare at Kyungsoo, “I’m older and much more experienced than you. You may be a prodigy, but I’m still more powerful than you are.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed. “I just worry about you.”

 

Victoria’s face softened. “I’ll be alright, don’t worry. I will make sure that the Republic and its people will stay safe. I’ll protect you.”

 

Kyungsoo said nothing, only stared at his porridge as he ate spoonfuls. Victoria glanced at him for a while longer, then stood up and left the kitchen silently.

 

His phone rang. Kyungsoo picked it up while gulping down a glass of milk.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Colonel? Please come here quickly, it’s urgent.”

 

“I’ll be there right away.” His phone snapped shut, and he walked briskly out the front door, patting Caramel on the head as he went.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

“Good morning, Colonel.” His subordinate, a young lieutenant by the name of Alex greeted him as he walked inside the headquarters. He nodded briefly at her, not stopping in his tracks.

 

“How’s the situation today?”

 

“It’s pretty bad. Apparently the Inferiors have taken two hostages declaring that they will kill them if we don’t surrender.”

 

“Tch,” Kyungsoo sweared. “Have you told General Wolfe?”

 

“General Wolfe is out on important business today. You’re in charge until he gets back.”

 

“Oh, that’s right.” Kyungsoo turned around the corner, entering his room. He was thinking silently. “Who are the two hostages?”

 

“First one is a man named Terry Holmes. 42 years old, unemployed. The second one is Emily Miros, the daughter of Edward Miros, who is the owner of Miros enterprises.” She passed the papers to Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo took the papers and swore again. “Miros will lose faith in us if we don’t save his daughter. We need his weapons.”

 

“Perhaps that’s why they targeted his daughter.”

 

“Exactly.” Kyungsoo sat down his chair, tapping the table impatiently. “ How many soldiers are out there already?”

 

“We sent about a dozen. Do you want backup?”

 

“No, it’ll be fine,” Kyungsoo said calmly. “I’ll go there by myself.”

 

“By yourself?! Colonel, that’s dangerous-“

 

“You heard me, Lieutenant.” Kyungsoo shot dagger eyes at Alex. “Now go.”

 

“Y-Yes sir!” She hurriedly saluted, then rushed out through the door.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and stretched his arms. He yawned a little, chucking the papers in the trash can nearby.

 

“Now then, how should I end this?”

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

“Lower your guns and weapons! Or else I will kill this girl first!”

 

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes dangerously as the knife hovered near the girl’s throat. Her face was as white as a sheet and she looked too shocked to say anything. “All guns down!”

 

“But Colonel-“

 

“You heard him,” Kyungsoo shouted angrily. “All guns down!”

 

The soldiers reluctantly lowered their weapons while Kyungsoo turned his attention back on the Inferiors. “Alright, what do you guys want?”

 

One of the men scoffed, his lips curling back unpleasantly. “I want you to walk right out of this land now and never come back.”

 

“Can’t do that,“ was Kyungsoo's calm reply. The man sweared and spat at the floor, nodding towards the guy who was holding the girl hostage. The glint of the knife made Kyungsoo wince as beads of blood started to ooze out on the girl's neck. 

 

“Well then-“ The man started to say, but didn't finish his sentence.

 

Kyungsoo ran up to him at top speed, swiftly like a snake. The man had barely any time to cry out as Kyungsoo kicked powerfully into his chest, right above his abdomen. There was a sickening crunch of ribs breaking as the knife dropped out of his hand and clattered onto the floor. His allies looked on in shock as the Inferior toppled to the ground.

 

“What the-?!”

 

“You son of a !” One of the men aimed his gun at Kyungsoo, preparing to shoot.

 

-

 

There was a sound of a gunshot, and the man staggered for a while, red seeping through his shirt. Kyungsoo watched in shock as blood poured over his lips and he fell facedown to the floor, unmoving. The gun lay on the ground a few feet away from the corpse.

 

“Colonel! What are you doing?” One of his men screamed out. Kyungsoo snapped out of his senses as he heard the shout, turning around as another man rushed towards him, bullets spraying out of his gun. Kyungsoo dodged them nimbly, sliding forwards and picking up the gun on the ground. His hat flew off his head, but he was too occupied to care.

 

“Open fire!” He shouted, firing the gun once and gritting his teeth. The bullet hit its target and the man fell onto the floor without a word. He watched as his soldiers fired at the Inferiors, lifeless bodies and blood littering the ground. One shot hit the other Inferior who was holding the man hostage, and he watched as the Inferior gurgled blood and fell down to the floor. Kyungsoo gazed at the scene, panting heavily.

 

Finally, it was over. The two hostages were released, the girl bawling in fear while refusing to let go of her rescuer. Kyungsoo watched as she was escorted into a car, along with the other hostage, and drove away. He pressed his lips into a thin line.

 

“Good work, Colonel.” Surprised, Kyungsoo turned around to see General Wolfe walking up to him, smiling brightly.

 

Kyungsoo bowed his head respectfully. “Thank you, sir.”

 

“This is quite a mess, isn’t it?” The general gazed at the blood-covered land. “The Inferiors won’t be happy about this.”

 

“I would prefer not to kill them, but then it couldn’t be helped,” Kyungsoo replied. The general shook his head.

 

“You’re too soft. In a battleground, you shoot at your enemies without hesitation, regardless of who they are.” The general looked seriously at Kyungsoo. “In this case, your sister is much stronger than you, mentally.”

 

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at the general’s words, but said nothing more. “Yes, sir. I have to go now.”

 

“Take care.” The general smiled at Kyungsoo. “Your sister too.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded cautiously. “I will.”

 

He picked up his hat from the ground, blood spatters still visible on it, and walked away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

First chapter! :D I tried to make it a little more futuristic, but not too much. Makes me wonder if we'll all get robots in 2050...and don't worry Kai will be introduced soon :)