Seperation

Forbidden Fate

Kyungsoo was the first to react, straightening his uniform and sweeping up his knife swiftly from the table next to the bed. Yixing watched as he walked past, heading towards the door with an expression that he couldn’t read.

 

“I have to go find Kai. You guys stay here and make sure that you avoid trouble.”

 

Yixing rolled his eyes as if Kyungsoo was telling a joke. “Honestly, I can’t imagine someone like me being obedient to your orders.”

 

Kyungsoo growled angrily deep inside his throat. His hand tightened on the doorknob, opening the door. “Fine. Just don’t blame me when–“

 

Baekhyun interrupted him. “If we die? If we get caught? Don’t underestimate Inferiors. Or are all Republicans so high and noble that they’ve forgotten pain? Don’t with me. Whoever finds Kai first, “he loaded his gun with adept fingers, “will take him home.”

 

Kyungsoo kept calm, smiling through gritted teeth. “Fine. Do whatever you want.”

 

“Of course,” Yixing smiled, bowing like a gentleman. “Then, let us meet each other again. If we do, that is.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t say another word. He gave a last glance at Yixing, who was still smiling, before walking out through the door and slamming it shut.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was torn between his duty and his desire for the truth.

 

Even so, his found himself walking towards the deepest, darkest section of the corridor. The place where the old, abandoned storage room was. Looking up and down at the door, he can’t help but doubt if this room was really something of value. He reached out slowly, grabbing the doorknob and turning it.

 

“Prepare for eye scanning.” Before he knew it, a red light shone over his face and Kyungsoo was sure that the alarms were going to go off. He stepped back hesitantly, ready to bolt if anything happened.

 

“Processing.......done. You may enter.”

 

The door creaked open loudly as if warning Kyungsoo that it was dangerous. Mouth wide open with surprise, he stepped into the room carefully. His eyes sought for something, but all he could find were old shelves filled with books, some dusty furniture, and a bunch of papers scattered all over on the wooden floor. Kyungsoo didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at the discovery.

 

Then something caught his eye.

 

A piece of silver jewelry was lying on the floor in the middle of the room. It was covered by a thin sheet of cobwebs. Kyungsoo slowly kneeled down on one foot and picked it up, turning it over in his fingers carefully.

 

It was part of Victoria’s butterfly pendant, no doubt. Kyungsoo clearly remembered her wearing it around her neck on that day, along with her smart silver uniform.

 

The day she died.

 

Clenching it tight in his fist, he looked around the room once again, scanning for clues. Shifting through the papers, he cursed as a book fell down from the shelf on his head, winding him slightly. The book fell to the floor wide open onto a page:

 

HUMAN IMMORTALITY

 

Kyungsoo stared at the page, then leaned down to pick up the book, eyes running over the page slowly.“Human immortality,” he read. “The act of granting never-ending immortality to humans.” He frowned slightly. The book seemed centuries old. He turned to the next page, scanning through the words quickly.

 

It had been once said that the blood of supernatural beings can grant immortality to humans. While this can be done, it is very dangerous and the cost will be great. In rare cases, the subject may also die due to the loss of his/her power.” Kyungsoo stopped reading, his hands tightening on the paper.

 

It couldn’t be....?! No.....it can’t be....

 

He continued to read. “Not every person’s body is compatible with the subject’s blood. Their bodies may be too weak to handle, and they will die from traumatic aortic rupture. Only about 1 out of 100 people pass for this experiment.”

 

Kyungsoo began to piece all the clues together, hands trembling. He looked down at the floor, where papers were scattered. Untidy, cursive words covered them.

 

“One gram of salt.....10 grams of water, five drops of the bearer’s blood......what is happening here?!”

 

He pocketed the book and bolted out the room as fast as he could. He had to find Kai before they do.

 

Kai’s in danger.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

Alex was already waiting patiently at the cell when Kyungsoo came down into the basement. He watched, unblinking, as two injured guards were carried away for medication. Alex greeted him respectfully.

 

“Sir.”

 

“Alex.” He didn’t waste any more time. “What happened here?”

 

“Apparently the guards were taking him outside for a walk, but somehow he’d gotten hold of a knife and well....” Alex trailed off nervously. Kyungsoo nodded, closing his eyes and thinking.

 

“The knife. Where’s the knife?”

 

“There’s no trace of it, sir. I believe he took it with him.”

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes again and checked his watch. It read 2:15. “He can’t have gotten very far. The cuffs are still on him, so he can’t teleport.”

 

Alex looked at him wearily. How were they going to find him? There was already a manhunt going out there, and Kyungsoo was sure that it wasn’t going to be long before a statement regarding shooting Kai on sight was issued. He let out a long, staggered breath.

 

“You go up and await orders from the General. I’ll stay here and search for clues,” Kyungsoo ordered. Alex’s eyes wavered as she opened .

 

“Sir, I’ve been ordered to stay with you.”

 

“What?” Kyungsoo said in disbelief, then realization dawned upon him.

 

They’re suspecting me. They think that I was the one who helped Kai escape.

 

“Alex, please don’t argue. Just go.” Kyungsoo turned around and walked away, only to feel footsteps behind him and then the cold barrel of a gun on the back of his head. He sighed and held his hands up.

 

“Just what did I do wrong?” Kyungsoo said, making sure to sound like it was no big deal. Alex’s hands tightened.

 

“It’s your actions that worry me. Did you help Kai escape?”

 

Kyungsoo wanted to laugh out loud. “Who’s the Colonel here? You really think that I would help a murderer?”

 

“I do,” came Alex’s steady voice. “I’ve seen the way you look at him. Don’t lie to me, please. Turn around and look at me.”

 

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth in desperation. There was no other way now. He slowly turned around, facing Alex.

 

“Alex, please–“

 

“I don’t doubt you,” Alex said, her voice suddenly soft with emotion. “But I can’t let you go either.”

 

Kyungsoo searched her face carefully, then nodded once in understanding. “Does this mean I’ll have to fight my way through?”

 

Alex paused, lowering her gun. “Be my guest.” She leapt forward, brandishing two shining, lethal knives. Kyungsoo jumped backwards and swiftly reached for his gun, firing it at her two hands. She dodged the first bullet easily, while using her knife to deflect the second.

 

“Not bad,” Kyungsoo said as Alex landed skillfully on the ground. “You seem to have gotten better.”

 

“All thanks to you,” she replied, resuming her stance from before. “I’m not prepared to let you go easily.” She lunged forward, reaching out for one strike.

 

Kyungsoo felt the wind swish around his face as he dodged the blade just by one millimeter. Alex cursed and her other knife came closing in, ripping the cloth of Kyungsoo’s jacket sleeve. He winced in pain and fell backwards, while Alex did the same. She was barely panting.

 

“Sir, please–“ Alex tried to convince him. “Stay with me. If you go now, the Republic will suspect you even more.”

 

“They already do,” Kyungsoo said, panting. “So how much worse can it get?”

 

Alex looked pained. “I’ll help you. I’ll talk to the General.”

 

“You’re still too naïve,” Kyungsoo murmured under his breath. “This will be over in one minute!” He ran forwards the same time Alex did, taking out a small bomb. Alex stopped in surprise as Kyungsoo threw the bomb towards the air, and it erupted into a bright light, bathing the whole room in white.

 

“A flash bomb!” Alex cursed, covering her eyes and wincing in pain. “He’s going to–“

 

Blood spattered out of before she could say anything more. She fell down to the floor, barely conscious. Kyungsoo stood beside her, sadness in his eyes.

 

“I’m really sorry,” he murmured. “But just rest for a while.” He turned around to leave, when Alex staggered to a half-sitting position, coughing violently.

 

“Y.....You’ll go even.....you....know the c-consequences?” She said, spasms running throughout her body. Kyungsoo turned his head slightly.

 

“This will be my responsibility.”

 

“That’s just like you...s-sir.” Alex managed a smile before falling down onto the floor. Kyungsoo looked fondly at the young girl lying limply on the ground before disappearing out of sight.

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo ran as fast as he could to his house, the only place he could think of that Kai might go to. It had begun to rain, and Kyungsoo silently blamed himself for not going earlier. He was now drenched from top to bottom.

 

He got to his house, quickly typed in the password on the hologram number pad, and let himself in. It was dark inside, and Kyungsoo let out a staggered breath as he the lights.

 

“Carame–?” Kyungsoo called softly, waiting for a response. All was quiet. Then he saw it, his eyes growing wide with surprise.

 

His house had been trashed. All his furniture was either broken or lying against the wall. His papers were torn and scattered everywhere on the floor. The window in the living room was wide open, and wind blew in, howling. Kyungsoo stared at the sight before him, not wanting to believe it.

 

He slowly walked into his room and opened his desk drawer. It was empty, but as Kyungsoo reached beneath it, he felt his laptop, still lying there safe and sound under the fake wood cover. He sighed in relief, then his eyes grew serious.

 

They know what I know. They’re coming after me next.

 

A soft whine came from under the bed, startling Kyungsoo. He slowly crawled over to the bed and lowered his head, only to find Caramel crouching there, scared and shivering with fright. Kyungsoo relaxed.

 

“Caramel, come here–“ He coaxed softly, only to be interrupted by a pair of hands grabbing him from behind, suffocating him. Caramel started to bark hysterically. Kyungsoo struggled violently and was about to bite the intruder’s hand when he felt a familiar, husky breath in his ear.

 

“Don’t move.”

 

Kyungsoo froze at the voice, but instead squirmed harder, trying to free his mouth to speak. “K-Kai? Is that you?”

 

He felt the other chuckle, and then the grip around him loosened. Turning around, he raked his eyes over the other, battered boy, from his scars to his messy hair. The boy was barely recognizable, but Kyungsoo still knew it was him. He felt tears threatening to pierce his eyes, but he forced himself not to cry.

 

“Kai, go–“ Kyungsoo blinked back tears. “Go now. They’re after you, they’re going to come in a second. I’m letting you go.” Kyungsoo punched in the password and unlocked Kai’s handcuffs. “Please.”

 

Kai shook his head. “I’ve known all along that they’ve wanted this. I’m not going unless you come with me.”

 

Kyungsoo stared at his with his mouth open, then his violently pushed Kai back. He hit the wall, wincing in pain. “You knew what they were doing, and yet you still came?!”

 

Kai coughed, rubbing his shoulder, and suddenly Kyungsoo felt guilty for pushing him. “I-I had to. It was my only chance of–“

 

Kyungsoo pushed him hard, towards the open window in his room. “I know it’s not you who did it. I’m an idiot. I’ve killed Sehun for nothing.” He voice fell into a shaky whisper. “Kai, please go. Yixing and Baekhyun are looking for you. Here, take this–“ Kyungsoo pressed a transmitter into his hand. “I stole it from Baekhyun. Yixing should have the other; use it to find him.”

 

Kai refused stubbornly, taking a step forward towards Kyungsoo. “I can’t. I’ve been searching for you for a long time.” He eyes burned into Kyungsoo’s, making him paralyzed in his feet. “You’re–“

 

He never finished his sentence. There was a loud bang as the front door blasted open and Republican soldiers began to make their way inside. General Wolfe was included in them, shouting out orders. Kyungsoo wasted no time, pulled Kai towards him one last time and pressed his lips to his. He fell back, tears wet on his face. Kai gazed at him brokenly, and reached out once more to carress his cheek.

 

“I love you,” Kai murmured gently. Kyungsoo felt like his heart was being torn in two.

 

“Go,” he whispered to Kai, before he ran out of the door and closed it behind him, not waiting for Kai’s reaction. Turning around while wiping his tear stained face, he saw General Wolfe standing in front of him, his expression full of anger. An army of soldiers stood behind him, along with a bruised, but healed Alex. She looked at him helplessly.

 

“Colonel Kyungsoo, do you know what you’ve done?” The sentence ran out, clear as crystal.

 

Kyungsoo did nothing but laughed hysterically at the words, eyes glazed with sorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Decided to add titles to all the chapters and change the font =w= Hope you guys liked this chapter, sorry for the late update btw :P