Arrest

Forbidden Fate

It's not him. It's not him. It can't be him.

 

Kyungsoo felt fear crawling up his neck, but slowly, gradually, he started to piece the things together.

 

Kai can teleport anywhere, any time of the day.

 

He held strong hatred towards the Republic for killing his family.

 

He had grabbed at his neck not just by coincidence. Kyungsoo knew at once that it was out of habit, that there was something meant to be there around his neck, but it wasn’t. His sharp, trained eyes had never failed him before. With trembling hands, he reached into his pocket where he took out the shining blue pendant, with the gold letter K. Jongin engraved elegantly on the surface.

 

Kim Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth in a mixture of confusion and despair. It couldn’t be Kai, could it? I can’t be. Kai’s gentle. He’s kind. He wouldn’t do this.....

 

He wanted so desperately to trust the boy, who was now calm and sleeping peacefully beside him. Shaking slightly, he reached out and brushed against Kai’s cheek, his other hand tightening into a fist.

 

I should have never came here......

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

As soon as Kai woke up next morning, he knew that something was wrong. Kyungsoo was nowhere to be seen, an empty space on the spot next to his pillow. He sat up abruptly, searching for that one familiar figure.

 

Where is he? Kai groaned and hopped out of bed, scratching his head while putting on some clean clothes and faded jeans. Stepping out of the room, he was surprised to see Sehun already up and and leaning against the railing, looking down at the floor. His head snapped up as Kai entered.

 

“Hey, Sehun! Have you seen Kyung­–“

 

“Kai,” Sehun interrupted, steel in his voice. “Who are you?”

 

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, not sure what Sehun was talking about. “What?”

 

Cha-ching.

 

He froze as he felt something cold pressed against the back of his head, and he swallowed slowly. He didn’t even have to turn around, somehow he already knew who it was even without looking.

 

“What are you guys doing?” Kai’s voice was eerily calm even with the barrel of the gun pressed right against his skull. “Kyungsoo, put the gun down.”

 

“I will after you answer my questions,” the gun in Kyungsoo’s hand trembled not with fear, but anger. “What’s your name?”

 

Kai wanted so horribly to laugh at the whole situation. “I don’t know what I did wrong, but you’re treating me like I’m a latent criminal or something.”

 

Sehun’s voice was gentler, but desperate. “Kai. Answer him.”

 

Kai sighed, then two words fell from his lips. “It’s Kai.”

 

“Stop ing with me,” Kyungsoo growled, his hand tightening on the gun. “That’s not your real name.”

 

Kai twitched, teeth clenching. “Kyungsoo, what is wrong with you–“

 

“Kim Jongin. You’re Kim Jongin, right?”

 

There was silence. A second later, rain started to fall from the sky, soaking in their clothes.

 

Kai’s lips parted in surprise, and he blinked once in confusion, twice in disbelief. “Why.....how....?”

 

Sehun was now looking at him with a mixture of anger and disappointment. “Kai....” he rasped, his voice barely coming out. “Is that really your name?”

 

Kai didn’t say anything. Behind him, Kyungsoo was shaking violently. He let out a scream, one that shook the heavens, and Sehun opened his mouth trying to say something, but he knew that nothing could calm Kyungsoo down anymore. The older boy tightened his grip on the trigger with both hands, trying to keep it steady.

 

“Why did it have to be you?! WHY?!” Kyungsoo screamed, clenching his hands on the gun so hard that it might bleed. Kai stood still, closing his eyes.

 

“Kyungsoo–“

 

“You. Killed her.” Kyungsoo said between gasps, tears running down his face. “YOU KILLED HER!”

 

Kai widened his eyes in dismay. “What do you mean–“

 

Kyungsoo shoved his right hand into his pocket and threw something on the floor. The blue pendant. Kai let out a gasp of surprise and kneeled down on the floor, turning the necklace over in his fingers.

 

“Where did you get this?” His voice was surprisingly calm.

 

“It was found next to my sister’s dead body. It’s yours, isn’t it?” Kyungsoo whispered, his face now looking cold and lifeless. “Why did you kill her?”

 

“I didn’t kill–“

 

“Shut your mouth.” Kyungsoo eyes glazed over. He pulled out a transmitter device and spoke calmly into it.

 

Send in reinforcements now. Repeat, send in reinforcements.

 

“Sehun, we’re leaving this damned place,” Kyungsoo said, tossing him his silver Beretta. “Kill everyone else.”

 

Kai was looking at him as if he just sprouted wings. “You.....you’re a military dog?!”

 

“Shut up, you filth,” Kyungsoo spat, his face contorted in anger. “I should’ve known it was you. I can’t believe I fell for your dirty tricks.” He turned back to face Sehun. “Hurry up. Burn this place or whatever; I don’t care what you do. I don’t want anything left.”

 

Sehun hesitated, then the most unbelievable word fell out from his mouth. “No.”

 

Kyungsoo whirled back to face him, his mouth open. “Excuse me?”

 

“I said no,” Sehun repeated quietly, throwing the gun on the floor. “I won’t do this.”

 

Kyungsoo stared at him in stunned silence, then his eyes grew dark. “S-Sehun,” He gritted his teeth. “Are you disobeying me?”

 

“The Kyungsoo I know isn’t like this,” Sehun said quietly, looking into Kyungsoo’s eyes. “The Kyungsoo I know wouldn’t kill innocent people just for revenge.”

 

“God dammit, Sehun!” Kyungsoo shouted, “They could’ve been helping him, they could’ve killed her too!”

 

Sehun shook his head gently. “I’m sorry, Kyungsoo.” He turned and walked back towards the cabin. Kyungsoo stood there, panting with rage.

 

How dare he......how dare he....

 

As if on cue, the cabin door opened and Luhan walked out, looking sleepy. He spotted Kai on the ground, with Kyungsoo pressing a gun to his temple, and he opened his mouth in surprise, his head turning. “Um....what’s going on?” Sehun widened his eyes in horror, whirling back to look at Kyungsoo.

 

Maybe he was going crazy. Or maybe it was because Sehun, his best friend, had just betrayed him. On an impulse, Kyungsoo reached out for his other gun and aimed it at Luhan, who widened his eyes in shock. He didn’t even hesitate as he pulled the trigger.

 

No, Kyungsoo.....!” Kai screamed and tried to pull away from Kyungsoo, while there was a flicker of movement to Luhan’s side.

 

Bang!

 

Silence.

 

Rain poured down steadily.

 

Luhan opened his eyes to see blood. Blood everywhere. And there was a body, lying in front of him, his beautiful face painted with crimson. Luhan seemed to be experiencing it all in flashes as he cried out, his hands trembling uncontrolllably.

 

“S....Sehun?! N-No......Sehun!”

 

Kyungsoo stood where he was, his hands shaking as he lowered the gun and Luhan crawled over to where Sehun was on the ground, life seeping out of him. At the last moment, Sehun had protected Luhan, shielding him with his body. Kyungsoo opened his mouth but no words came out. He was horrified by the blood that stained the floor, spreading across to his feet.

 

I just killed my best friend.

 

Luhan cried out, wailing as tears fell down his face. Kai’s head drooped down with defeat, and then he laughed. A small, broken laugh. 

 

“I hope you’re happy now, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo looked at Sehun's body, lying still, then he laughed madly, on the edge of hysteria. He clutched his head with both hands, trying to drown out the pitiful sound of Luhan's screams.

 

I just killed my best friend. I killed him. I kill

 

A hand clamped down on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, and he turned around to see Alex, holding a black umbrella. It strangely reminded Kyungsoo of when he attended the funeral. She nodded at him once.

 

“Sir, we are ready.”

 

Kyungsoo stared at her with empty eyes. “Good. Take him away and lock him up. We’ll decide what to do with him later.”

 

“Yes sir.” Alex glanced at Luhan, who was now draped over the body. “How about them?” She squinted carefully, then gasped a little as she saw Sehun. “Isn’t that...?!”

 

“Yes. Leave them be. They are just trash,” Kyungsoo smiled twistedly. Alex bowed her head, then dragged Kai onto his legs, securing handcuffs on him. Kai looked absolutely defeated, as if he had given up on the entire world. Kyungsoo stood beside him as he was escorted into the car. He gave one last look at Kai’s lifeless eyes before the doors closed.

 

“Sir, here.” Alex guided him towards another car. Kyungsoo stepped inside as the doors closed, then watched the cabin and the two huddled figures in the rain as they drove away.

 

Inside the car, Alex spoke quietly. “Sir, you said that he could teleport, right?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded in silence. Alex continued, “So why didn’t he escape?”

 

“....I don’t know, Alex.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Gosh I'm so sorry. Poor Hunhan :'(