Important

Talking To The Moon

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

Kris followed Chen, Lu Han, and another guy, new face to him. He must the Minseok Hyung Chen talked about earlier. Chen did nothing but to laugh with the two guys, like he’s never done anything before. It’s as if everything in his surrounding is new to him. It’s unfair, Kris thought. He ended up following them until they parted ways. And of course, he continued to follow Chen. A little hope in his heart appeared when he noticed the direction of where Chen is heading. His flat.

 

~

 

“The culprit really comes back to where he has committed his crime, doesn’t he?” Kris chuckles. But the chuckle doesn’t show any sense of something in a friendly way. You can trace bitterness in it. It’s more like a sob hidden in a soft sound made by the throat.

 

Chen almost jumped because of the low voice that came from behind. He turned around to see a man, standing before him, looking at him like he’s committed a big crime. Kris drew a smirk when he noticed Chen’s startled face. Chen tilts his head and looks at Chen with his usual curious façade, his typical Kim Jongdae face. He holds a tight grip on the plastic bag he is holding because he recognizes the guy. This is the guy earlier. The guy whom Chen is sure that he doesn’t know, but contrary to the other, he looks at Chen like he knows him. And it curious Chen, a lot.

 

Kris’ twitched eyes suddenly returned to its normal state and looked at Chen casually. At the very least, he tried to be casual and set aside whatever he feels at the moment. “Why are you here? What are you doing here?”

 

The silence was terrifically awful. Chen doesn’t know how Kris waited for this day, that both of them will be standing on the same ground again. Kris wanted to cry. But he doesn’t understand why. His feelings are still vague. The feelings he’s feeling right now is way beyond the meaning of happiness itself… but he’s not one bit happy that Chen is still not back to his life. He wants him back, but he’s scared to have him back. After all the pain that Chen has caused him, the next worst thing Chen could do is to forget him. And Chen just did. Kris’ world shattered for the second time when Chen showed no spark of recognition towards him… after all these years.

 

“Why are you here?” he echoes his own question. Chen’s lips parted and was about to answer Kris when he realized he doesn’t have anything to say. He doesn’t have anything to answer.

 

Why is he here?

Why does he have to leave Canadian waffles every day before the door of the flat 216?

Why is this act included in his daily routine?

 

Leave a box of Canadian waffles every day, room 216. He needs to eat. It’s his favorite.

 

It was all written on his notebook. No reason, and worse, no name. But because his sister told him that he has written everything that he needs to remember and do, in case he forgets after the surgery, then it must be really important. That’s why he does it every day. He has been doing it ever since he came back from States, 3 weeks ago. He doesn’t even question himself about where the food goes. He finds it pretty normal to see the box of food vanish when he comes back again for another box of food the day after. He’s been doing it for almost 21 days, not attempting to know the person behind the door of 216. He feels that it is something that he has to do.

 

“Because I need to leave food for the person living in this room.” Chen answers casually. He heaved a weak sigh as he looked at him. Kris scoffed a chuckle. May be or maybe not, Chen could trace something with Kris’ twitched eyes and forced smile. Something was drawn on the man’s face. A deafening silence followed and it was uncomfortable for the both of them.

 

“Chen,” Kris finally spoke. He bit his lower lip because he knew that in any moment, he could break down. “You’re the worst.”

 

It took a couple of second before Chen blinked and realized that Kris vanished from his sight. He hand cupped his chest part and formed wrinkles in his cotton sweatshirt. He doesn’t know the guy but the way Kris looks and talks to him, he knew he is someone from the past. Maybe he’s one of the person’s he forgot to write down in his notebook.

 

Maybe the Kris guy is upset because he showed no spark of recognition towards him. Maybe he didn’t write Kris’ name on his notebook because he’s not that important. Or maybe… he too important.

 

~

 

Kris went back to his old flat. He frowned at the stray dog that happily eats his supposed to be food. The dog must have known that there will be food here. Kris stepped forward to the dog and drank his beer. He really looks so miserable. The dog was alarmed and ran away from him. He chuckles. He entertains the thought that even stray dogs don’t want him. He leaned his back against the door and let himself slide to the ground. He stretched his one leg while the other was bent up and there he rests his arm which holds the beer. He looked on an empty space and tears started flowing from his eyes.

 

Kris moved to a new house when Chen left him. But he couldn’t throw his old flat away. So he kept it, did pay for it every month, and left it empty with the memories of him and Chen. He can’t move one. He doesn’t want to move on. He wants to be happy. And only Chen could make him understand the essence of real happiness.

 

~

 

“Noona,” Chen finally spoke. They were eating their late dinner at their old dining table, dusty and… just old, but new to Chen of course. It’s only the two of them. Their parents aren’t back. Chen wanted to come home so his sister accompanied him. Chen is the maknae so it was difficult for them to send Chen off to Korea because they know Chen’s state. Chen managed to convince his parents and brought his Chinese, friend, Luhan, whom he met there, along with Lu Han’s friend, Minseok.

 

“Hmm?” her sister answered with a hum as she twirled the pasta with the fork.

 

“Did I miss to write someone on my notebook before my surgery? Someone important, I guess?”

 

Her sister almost choked with Chen’s question and gave him a look. Only one person appears on her mind.

 

Kris.

 

His sister shrugged. “If that person isn’t written on your notebook, then that person is not important. Don’t worry.”

 

~

 

Chen isn’t contented with his sister’s answer and he can’t sleep because of that. He was staring at the white ceiling and the next thing he knew, he was already on his way to the guy’s flat.

 

His heart fluttered when he saw Kris, sleeping, not so peacefully, on the ground with its back glued to the door. But he later frowned at the sight of a bottle of beer in his hand. He sighed. He stepped closer to him, trying his best not to make a sound. He sat in front of Kris and stared at his face. His fingers tempted to touch his eyelashes so he did. And Kris woke up. Chen was startled as Kris was. Maybe it’s the effect of the alcohol, or maybe not, Kris reached for Chen’s neck and pulled him closer for a kiss. Kris’ tears flowed endlessly while Chen’s eyes remained wide open. He immediately got back to his senses and pulled himself away. He stood up and looked at Kris sympathetically. He sighed at him before his legs drag him away from drunken Kris.

 

“Stop,” Kris spoke. Chen stopped. “Don’t leave me again.” He begged. “Chen Chen,” he cried. Chen turned around to face him.

 

“Chen, I can’t even bear to die because I still think that you’ll come back to me. I wanted to die, believe me. But what if a miracle appeared? What if that miracle brings you back and makes you love me again?” he chuckled and stood up. “But I was wrong.” He sighed and walked towards Chen. “Look at you, all happy and dandy. And now look at me. I’m so miserable, Chen.” He reached for his hand and locked it with his own. It’s as if Chen is going somewhere again and he’s afraid. “I’m still very much in love with you that it hurts so much, damn it.”

 

Chen immediately pulled his hand back. “I-I’m sorry.” He whispered. “But I don’t really remember you.” And Chen’s legs dragged him away from Kris and went back home.

 

 

___________________________________________

 

A/N: Sorry guys if this is a super late update. I really really want to update but I can't. School starts at 7 and ends at 5:30 and another 1 hour bus ride for me to be able to arrive peacefully in my house. And all I could think is to work on my assignments and have MORE SLEEP. I don't stay in a boarding house because I hate boarding house, >.<...I don't like people, LOL.. :D Anyways, I think updates are on weekends, Friday or Saturday nights, probably. *sighs, I really can't update on weekdays since gahh, the review for our qualifying exam for next year has already started. And that exam is a really life and death matter. 
For those who are confused, the next chpater will answer all of your questions. Thanks for reading everyone. I hope you can drop your comments! <3 I love you!