Anneyong, Goodbye, Adios part1

Retrouvailles
**In Chapter 5, I said that Seunghyun's sister's name was Dami, when her name is actually Hyeyoon (Dami is Jiyong's sister's name in real life lol) I changed it and from now on, her name will be Hyeyoon xD Sorry for the misunderstanding**

 

It was Seunghyun's last dinner with his family. His father had to leave the next day on a business trip so he couldn't be at the airport on Thursday. He was glad that Jiyong joined them for the meal. He walked to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water and looked over at the table:

His mother was smiling at Jiyong, who was telling her about his dream of opening an art gallery. 

His father was arguing with his sister on who would get his old room; she wanted an extra closet and he wanted a new office.

He was going to miss this

So much.

But he needed to be on his own.

He couldn't rely on Jiyong and his family forever.

Whenever he fell, someone was there to catch him.

He needed to fall for good and get back on his feet by himself.

"Seunghyun? Can you bring the tea?" His mother suddenly asked.

"Ah, yes!" Seunghyun carefully lifited the tray with the kettle and the cups.

He poured the tea in the individual cups and passed them  arround before sitting down next to his friend. After everyone took a sip of their hot beverage, Jiyong stood up and bowed:

"I want to thank all of you for inviting me tonight. I'm sorry to interupt this last family dinner."

"Omo, Jiyong, it's fine! We love to have you arround. And you're practically family"

Jiyong smiled at that.

Like mother, like son  he thought.

"I wish I had a little brother like you Jiyong, unlike that rude, lazy and ungrateful  thing there." 

"Uh, what? I'm not the one who asks his little brother to do all her chores and when he asks for a bit of money in return doesn't give him anything but insults and-"

"ENOUGH. Enough. Jiyong, I'm really happy to see you here since we won't see each other for a bit. I'm sad that Seunghyun is leaving so soon though." His father said.

"You can always visit me." 

"Yeah, but not having you here is going to be really... empty"

"It'll be fiiiiine. By the way, did I tell you that Jiyong's paintings are exposed at the Artsonje Center tomorrow evening?" 

"Hyung! I told you not to tell anyone!" Jiyong pouted.

Seunghyun just shrugged.

"Jiyong won this Open Gallery  contest, so he and a few other artists are going to display their work."

"Really? That's awesome Jiyong! But I thought your strength was drawing." Seunghyun's mother said.

"Yeah, b-but I paint as well."

"Omo, this is wonderful! I'll come for sure! What about you Hyeyoon, want to join me?"

"Actually mom, I'm already going. My boyfriend works at the art center and when he told me the names of who won the contest, I recognized Jiyong's name. By the way Jiyong, my boyfriend saw the other artists' works and said that yours were his favorites."

"A-ah, really? I'm flattered." Jiyong smiled at her words. Drawing was his forte, but being a curious little boy, he loved trying new things. So his parents signed him up for a visual arts class where he learned the base of painting, sculpture, printmaking and photography. He developped his painting more than the other disciplines and replaced his visual arts class with painting lessons.

"It's getting late Mom, so I'll walk Jiyong home okay?" Seunghyun stood up and started walking towards the hallway.

"Sure, but be careful ne?"

"Always."

"Thanks again for the amazing dinner ! It was nice seeing you Mr. Choi! Have a safe trip!" Jiyong gave him a small bow.

"Nice seeing you too, Jiyong. I'm sorry I can't make it for your exposition though" He said bowing back.

"Don't worry about it."Jiyong answered. "I guess I'll see you two tomorrow night?" He then turned to Seunghyun's mother and sister.

"Don't worry. We'll be there." His sister answered.

"Goodbye everyone!" Jiyong waved before closing the door behind him.

Seunghyun was already waiting for him on the sidewalk.

"Your mom's cooking is awesome." Jiyong walked up to him.

"I know. I wish she was a bad cook, so I could be thinner."

"Ah hyung, don't worry about your weight. You're fine like that."

"You're skinny Ji, you don't understand..."

"I understand what it's like to hate your own body."

"You mean you don't like being skinny?" Seunghyun asked, surprised.

"It's awful. When I get out of the shower and I look in the mirror..." Jiyong stopped talking, his eyes were filling up with tears. "I'm all skin and bones hyung. A-and sometimes, after gym class... The guys make fun of me... While I'm changing and I'm left in boxers, they hide my clothes and make me run around... And they say mean things about my body. Worst part is that I can't gain weight because what makes me so skinny is my metabolism's speed. I tried to slow it down by eating various unhealthy foods but it didn't work..."

Seunghyun stopped walking and grabbed Jiyong's shoulders so he could face him. He was both sad and furious.

"Ji, listen to me. Don't you dare mistreat your body because of other people... And if you really want to gain weight, for your own happiness, build some muscle. It weighs more than fat anyways. I am so sorry I can't be there to protect you... You should've told me before..." Seunghyun sighed and hugged him.

"Hyung?"

"Yeah?"

"We're there."

"Oh."

He let go and looked at him in the eyes.

"I guess I'll meet you at the Art Center tomorrow."

Jiyong nodded.

"I should go home."

Jiyong nodded.

"Alright then, goodnight Ji."

"Goodnight hyung."

Seunghyun turned around and started walking back to his house. Jiyong just stood there, hoping Seunghyun would come back. But he didn't. He stood there until Seunghyun was out of sight and finally let his tears roll down on his cheeks. Jiyong cried a lot. Maybe a bit too much. But crying felt good. It gave him this numbness that let him forget Seunghyun for a few moments. Forget that his best friend and first crush was leaving in three days. Seunghyun didn't actually go home right away. He roamed the streets of his neighborhood for the last time. He tried to associate as many locations as possible with memories. He walked by the park, where he met Jiyong for the first time. They've known each other for twelve years now. He stopped by the small supermarket, where he and Jiyong used to buy snacks after school and go to Jiyong's house to "study". His feet eventually led him to the ice cream shop. Thank god it closes late. He couldn't resist.. Seunghyun's weakness was ice cream. And Jiyong.

 

The next morning

 

The warmth of his blanket never felt so good. 

He didn't want to wake up. 

Didn't want to get dressed.

Didn't want to meet new people.

Didn't want to explain why he drew this or that.

Didn't want to face him.

Didn't want to get lost in his eyes.

Didn't want him to see his paintings because he was behind all of them.

"Jiyong, hurry up! It's twelve already! You have to be there at two and help them set everything up!" Said his mother

"Hmmhmm."

Whatever. It can't be worst than the night I confessed.

Jiyong got up, let out a loud yawn and made his way to the bathroom. He took a long shower, carefully picked out his outfit for the exposition and put his coat on. He opened the door and stepped outside. It was snowing. His mother then rushed out of the house and unlocked the car's doors.

"I'm so excited for you Ji!"

"Umma, I-I don't want to go."

"Aigo, stop your nonsense. You're nervous, it's normal."

"W-will Appa be there?"

"I don't know Ji... You talk to him more often than me."

FLASHBACK

Jiyong's parents had divorced in December. Their relationship became dull and the feelings were gone. They argued often, but one evening, Jiyong got back from school and saw his father cry in the living room. He understood right away. He went up to his father and hugged him for a long time. They both cried in silence until his mother joined and cried with them. The divorce wasn't one of those endless ones where both parents fought for the custody. Jiyong chose to live with his mother but got to see his father every weekend. He didn't tell Seunghyun, even if he was the one he needed the most at that time. But he told himself that Seunghyun wasn't going to be there anymore to support him and that he needed to get used to it.

END OF FLASHBACK

When they got at the art center, they were greeted by the contest's judges and the museum's staff. Jiyong was told that he had to organize his exposition area. His paintings were pretty big and the biggest one took a whole wall lengthwise. Someone carefully brought his works one by one and Jiyong helped him hang them on the walls. He wanted his paintings to go from joyful to depressing, just like his life. 

He was staring at the last painting when he saw someone standing next to him from the corner of his eyes.

"Is this yours?"

"Yeah."

"It's beautiful."

"T-thanks."

"How rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Kim Taejong."

"Kwon Jiyong."

"Pleased to meet you, I'm the museum's owner's son."

"Huhuh."

"You have a lot of potential Jiyong, I can talk to my dad and maybe he could feature you in an upcoming project."

"R-really?"

"Yeah! I have to go but I'll see you around later, okay?"

"O-of course."

Jiyong went to greet the other artists: there was a young girl from middle school who did drip painting, an old man who took pictures of a couple in various public places and a young woman who made sculptures out of computer pieces.

No wonder Hyeyoon's boyfriend thought my work was the best... Oh well, art IS subjective after all.

The exposition started at five and it was already four. Since he didn't eat, Jiyong decided to go out for a bite. When he got back, the room was filled with curious people. Adults, kids,  He tried to look for Seunghyun or his father but found neither of them. He spotted his mother  talking with a nice looking man. He was about to join their conversation when he felt a hand on his shoulder. His lips turned into a smile before going back to their originial state.

"I'm sorry, did I scare you?"

"N-no, I'm fine."

"You don't look happy to see me." Said Taejoong.

"N-no... It's just that I'm expecting someone." 

"Oh, so you're taken?"

"N-no, but-"

"So I still have a chance."

"U-uh y-"

"No, you don't. Jiyong only likes me, got it? Find someone else to bother." Some low pitched voice said from behind. Jiyong felt a hand grab his turned his head to see an angry looking Seunghyun.

Thank you. Thank you. You have no idea how much I needed help.

"And you are?" Taejoong asked, a bit surprised

"The reason why Jiyong will never like you. Now please excuse us."

Seunhyun pulled Jiyong towards the opposite side of the room.

"I'm sorry I'm late... My mom got lost on the way here." 

"Thank you, hyung." Jiyong

"I can't believe that prick tried to flirt with you. How old is he anyways? He seems way too old to date a highschooler..."

"Hyung, let's not worry about that okay? Did you have time to look around?"

"Nope, as soon as I entered, I saw you walking towards your mom and saw that weird guy touch you on your shoulder. Then you stopped smiling and I understood I had to save you." 

"I don't know what I'll do when you'll leave." Jiyong sighed.

"Me neither."

They both smiled at each other.

"Come on, I want to see your achievements."

Seunghyun was smiling at the first paintings as they were very happy. The colours, the backgrounds, if there were people on them, they were happy. But his smile fell little by little when he got to the last ones. The colors were darker, black or grey, no more backgrounds, only a few lines here and there. The last one even scared him.

"Ji... I-is something bothering you? I mean, other than our weird friendship..."

"I'm okay hyung, don't worry. I painted this back in December."

Seunghyun's heart broke. He knew something happened but he wasn't there to support him.

"Talk to me Ji, tell me what happened."

"Another time, I promise. Right now I just want to enjoy my evening with you. Is it okay?"

"We don't have much time left... I'm leaving in two days remember?"

"I... My parents got divorced and I felt like it was my fault."

Seunghyun's eyes went wide.

"You mean your parents got divorced and you didn't tell me? Did I make you that uncomfortable? To a point where you couldn't tell me something as big as that? Me, your best friend... Jiyong, am I such a bad friend? Why didn't you tell me?"

"You're leaving... How can I count on someone that won't be there in the future?"

And for the thousandth time in their friendship history, Seunghyun pulled Jiyong into a hug and let him cry on his shoulder.

"Let's go home, okay?" Seunghyun wiped his tears.

"B-but the guests..."

"We're going home. My home."

"Let me say goodbye to my mom, okay?"

"I'll be waiting outside."

Seunghyun gave him a little squeeze on the shoulder and walked towards the exit. Jiyong walked towards his mother and told her he was going to stay over at Seunghyun's place. She nodded, and told him his father called, saying he was sorry he couldn't make it but he had an "emergency". Jiyong sighed, gave her a peck on the cheeks and went to get his coat in the little storage room. As he was putting his  coat on, he felt a hand on his mouth and stomach pulling him onto a chest.

"Got you. You're leaving with me tonight. I saw your friend leave by the front door so just to make sure we don't meet him, let's leave by the back door."

Jiyong tried to free himself from Taejoong's arms but the man was too strong. When they finally got to the back door, Taejoong's arms fell as he saw Seunghyun standing in the doorframe.

"Oh, what do we have here. I thought I told you to stay away."

Taejoong didn't have the time to react when he recieved a punch in his face.

"Is it clear now? Let's go Ji." He grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the main entrance.

They took a cab to get home. Jiyong silently cried throughout the car ride. They were still holding hands. When they reached Seunghyun's home, they still didn't utter a single sound. They washed their face, brushed their teeth and Seunghyun lent Jiyong some pyjamas. Jiyong was about to settle his pillow on the sofa next to Seunghyun's bed when he grabbed his hand.

"Nope, you're sleeping with me."

Jiyong just nodded and climbed on the bed. 

"You have to be careful Ji, there are men like him everywhe-"

"Can we talk about it tomorrow?"

"Sure... Sorry, let's sleep."

Seunghyun pulled Jiyong closer to him and gave him a kiss on the head.

"I swear, you're killing me Ji... I'm not sure I want to leave anymore..."

"Shh, sleep. We'll talk about it tomorrow. Or not." Jiyong placed his finger on Seunghyun's mouth  and looked at him in the eyes. Seunghyun just nodded and closed his eyes. Jiyong snuggled against Seunghyun's chest and drifted to sleep. 

 

Author's note

OH MY GOD. 
FINALLY.
I SPENT FOUR DAYS ON THIS 
I'm soooo slow haha :3

And I would've made it longer, but I have an oral presentation tomorrow (that I didn't start yet lol and it's 10PM)

So let's say this chapter and the next one are like one chapter :3

CHAPTER 9 WILL BE IN THE PRESENT :D

FINALLY, WE'LL KNOW WHAT'S IN THE BOX ;D

For now, I want to thank all my 37 subscribers :D It means a lot to me since this is my first fic ever <3 

I hope you liked the chapter!

Constructive comments are always welcomed :D

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS AND MISTAKES ;_;

I'm soooo tired these days...

THANK YOU FOR READING :D

 

 

PS: this is Jiyong's last painting ( well on the picture, I think it's a drawing, but... you still get the idea)

http://cynicismisavertu.tumblr.com/post/37264151585