November 4th 2003

Retrouvailles

That morning, Seunghyun woke up to a noisy sister who told him to hurry up if he didn't want to be late for school. Still sleepy, he groaned but managed to get out of bed. His nose told him something nice was waiting for him downstairs... When he got to the kitchen, he was greeted by his parents wishing him a happy birthday and a beautiful breakfast. The three of them sat down and were about to eat when his sister rushed in with a present.

"Happy birthday, little devil." His sister joked before pecking him on the cheek.

"Yah, who's the devil? But thank you."

A wide smile appeared on his face when he opened the gift.

"It's nothing big, since your big gift was that trip to Busan with Jiyong last summer, but since you're leaving for university next year, I thought you'd like a new bag. The one you have now is kind of childish, don't you think?" His mother said.

It was true. The bag that Seunghyun owned was pretty childish. It was green with a dinosaur pattern all over it.  He had the same bag since middle school. Refusing to change it because it matched Jiyong's. The new bag was a caramel brown leather backpack with one pocket at the back. It smelled nice. 

And that trip to Busan. How unforgettable. He begged his parents to let him go to Busan with Jiyong alone. They were both going different ways after highschool: Jiyong wanted to focus on arts, build his portfolio while Seunghyun wanted to move overseas to study, so that trip was their last trip as "teenagers". They took the train to get there. The ride was filled with laughs and mispronounced english lyrics. Their hotel was right by the Haeundae Beach, which was convenient since the first thing they did when they got there was jump in the water. The rest of the week went in a flash. They went to the beach everyday, ate ice cream and walked arround Busan. On their last night, they laid down in the sand and talked for hours until Jiyong started whining:

FLASHBACK

"Ji, what's wrong?"

"This is it. This is the end. When school'll start, you'll be so busy studying for all those exams, you won't have time for me."

"Why are you always so dramatic... First, you should know I never study. And second, if I don't have time for you, I make some."

"You're such a bad student! I don't understand how you get those grades."

"I don't either. But I like it."

Jiyong turned his head to the side to look at Seunghyun:

'Seunghyun, promise me we'll stay friends no matter what."

"I promise you, Jiyong,"

END OF FLASHBACK

Seunghyun got lost in his thoughts, but regained counsciousness after he heard his mother's voice

"...ghyun? Are you okay?"

"Oh, yeah.Thank you so much, Umma." Seunghyun kissed his mother on her forehead.

"Thanks... evil sister..." He pinched his sister's cheek before pecking it.

"YAH, how dare you pinch me, 'want to die?" His sister slapped him on the shoulder.

"Will you two ever stop? Seunghyun, if you don't want to be late, leave now. Jiyong's probably waiting for you anyways. Also, don't forget we're leaving for the weekend so you'll be all by yourself."

"Yes father!"

"Are you sure you don't want Hyeyoon to stay with you?" His mother asked, with a worried voice.

"Umma, I'm fine."

"It's not like if  he was going to have a big party or bring girls over. He doesn't have many friends you know."

"Yah, you don't know anything abo-"

"ENOUGH YOU TWO. Leave now, before I get mad. Happy birthday again, Seunghyun. Hyeyoon, get ready for work."

Seunghyun poked his sister's head before rushing outside to unlock his bike and took the path leading to Jiyong's house.

Jiyong was waiting for him on the sidewalk, waving at him with a bright smile on his face.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HYUNNIE!" 

"Thanks Ji." Seunghyun answered him with a smile and a hug. "We should hurry up though, I'm sorry for being late..."

"It's fine. Don't forget, my house at seven after school, okay?"

"Yes, yes."

With that, they left for school. Being the two young dorks they were, they always made a bet on who'd be the fastest one to get there. This time, Jiyong was faster.

"You owe me lunch."

"Pff, you cheated. Think I didn't see you b-"

"Seunghyun! Happy birthday!" A female voice called.

"Good morning Sujin. And thank you." 

Sujin was Seunghyun's classmate and one of his good friends. She then turned to Jiyong:

"Hello Jiyong. Mind if I speak with Seunghyun alone?"

"Of course, I have to get going anyways. See you later hyung! Goodbye Sujin!" 

When Jiyong was out of sight, Sujin moved closer to Seunghyun and handed him a letter.

"Su... I, you know I'm not-"

"I know. But I can't help it. I like you Seunghyun. And I'm not asking you to like me back, but at least acknowledge that I have feelings for you."

"... sure."

"Let's go to class now, okay?"

The rest of the day, Seunghyun couldn't stop thinking about Sujin's confession. She was nice, funny, pretty and smart. Yet, he didn't feel anything for her. He couldn't understand why. He shrugged it of and thought about Jiyong's surprise instead. What could that little have in mind? Finally, it was lunch time. He sat at Jiyong's table, with their friend, a senior like Seunghyun, Youngbae.

"Happy birthday man." 

"Thanks. I don't know how you guys remember all those birthdays..."

"We don't. I remember yours because it's important to me." Jiyong answered with a smile.

"Aww. You two should get a room, really." Youngbae joked.

"B-bae, it's not funny..." Jiyong pouted.

Seunghyun couldn't help but laugh at Jiyong. His pouts were so cute. They finished eating and got back to their respective classrooms. Seunghyun avoided Sujin for the rest of the day. He didn't want to see her teary eyes when he'd tell her he didn't like her that way, that he didn't want to get into a relationship because he was leaving Korea next year. But at the end of their last class, she grabbed his wrist and asked him to stay.

"Look. I know you're avoiding me. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have confessed to you. Now our friendship is ruined." She let go of his arm.

"It's not ruined... Stop saying that. It's just... I can't date anyone at the moment. And if we were dating, I'd probably make you unhappy."

"How can you say that? You don't know what makes me happy. Just seeing you smile makes me happy."

"Su, I'm moving next year. And I don't want a my first relationship to be a long-distance one okay? Both of us would be unhappy."

" Worst part is, I know you're right, yet I can't stop liking you. I'm so sorry, for causing you trouble."

"Oh come on, you're not trouble. It's just I would really like a friend right now, not a girlfriend."

"I understand. But, I'm afraid I can't be that friend right now. I... I like you too much to just be the friend. I think I need to be alone, for a bit."

"If it's what you need to preserve our friendship, go for it."

She nodded, then looked at him and left.

Seunghyun sighed, then started walking towards the art class. Jiyong was teaching kids how to paint. His face was covered with pink, blue and orange paint.

"Hyung! Help me!" Jiyong was being chased by his students.

"Uh-huh, no way. I don't want to get my uniform stained."

"Tsk, so boring. Okay kids, it's four. It's time to say goodbye. A noona will come to watch over you until you parents come pick you up."

"Goodbye Jiyong!" They all said in unison.

"Let's go!"

"Don't you want to wash your face first?"

"Oh, you're right. Wait for me here okay?"

A few minutes later, Jiyong came back, all clean and fresh.

"I'm back! We can go now."

"Uh, I think you forgot  a spot."

"Huh? Where?"

Seunghyun his thumb and leaned in to swipe away the little stain of paint at the corner of Jiyong's mouth.

"There. You're all clean now."

"T-thanks..."

"Oh, Ji. Can we walk instead of riding our bikes?"

"Sure!"

Once they got outside, Jiyong started the conversation.

"Say, hyung. I heard that Sujin confessed to you... Is it true?"

"Yeah, I was kind of expecting it, but it felt weird when she actually did confess."

"W-what did you answer her?"

"Well, I told her I was leaving next year and I dont want to commit to a relationship at the moment..."

"Oh... So, if you weren't leaving next year, you would've dated her?"

"I don't know... I don't think so... I mean, I've never dated anyone really seriously... And I don't feel ready for a relationship."

"Right... Well I hope you guys can still stay friends."

"I'd like to, but I don't think it's gonna happen."

The ride home was silent after that. Jiyong spaced out and Seunghyun kept thinking about Sujin's confession. What if he would've said he liked her back? Would the situation be less awkward? Would he have grown to like her back? They reached Jiyong's house first and Seunghyun said he'd be back at seven. When he got home, Seunghyun took a shower and then got dressed. He didn't know why he was so nervous to see Jiyong. He decided to walk. The sun already settled down and it was a bit chilly. He should've brought a scarf. He rang Jiyong's door bell and waited. Jiyong opened the door with a wide smile and invited him inside. They got up to Jiyong's room and Seunghyun gasped. He decorated the whole room with little lights, set a table for two with steaming plates of bibimbap and laid cushions a bit everyone arround the room.

"I know, I know, it looks cheesy and weird and romantic... I would've taken you out but I have no money left. So, yeah, a home cooked meal is the best I can offer you. Wow, really, I feel ashamed... It's so corny." Jiyong laughed.

"Ji, why do you always depreciate yourself? It's seriously amazing. So what if it's cheesy? I like cheesy. But only from you... And I can't wait to taste your bibimbap."

"Let's start eating then." 

Jiyong was so nervous. Since their walk back home, he couldn't stop thinking about what Seunghyun said: that he didn't want to be in a relationship." Poor hyung, two people who confess on the same day. And probably two rejections too." he thought.

"Ji, this is delicious. Your sauce is the best."

"Thanks hyung! My mom told me it's the only thing I can cook well."

"Marry me, okay? So you can make me bibimbap everyday." Seunghyun joked.

"H-haha, yeah..." Jiyong nervously laughed. 

After the meal, they laid down in the sea of cushions and Jiyong handed him a box.

"For me?"

"Who else, pabo."

"Thanks Ji!"

"You don't even know what it is, yet you thank me. What if you don't like it?"

"I'm sure I'm gonna love it."

Seunghyun opened the box to find a beautiful black scarf, a notebook and a letter.

"Did you make this?"

"Yeah, since winter's about to start... And since you don't have a scarf... I picked black because you're an adult now." Jiyong grinned

"Thanks, a lot."

"C-can you open the notebook? BUT before you ask any questions, read the letter, okay?"

Seunghyun opened the notebook. There was a note on the first page:

"FLIP THE PAGES REALLY FAST. IT'S LIKE AN ANIMATED DRAWING ^__^ "

So he did. On each page, was a different drawing. The first pages showed Jiyong, sitting alone by the sea. You could see a pair of legs next to him. Then someone bent down next to Jiyong. That someone was himself. Then it showed Seunghyun holding his hand, placing a strand of hair behind his ear and leaning in for a kiss, but not kissing him. The next page showed a note saying : " YOUR TURN TO FINISH THE STORY" Seunghyun was shocked. Was this Jiyong's way to confess? 

"Hyung... I... I know this is the second time someone confesses to you today... But it's hard for me to say it out loud so I th-"

"I can't. I'm sorry."

"What? You can't what?"

"I-I can't like you back Jiyong..."

"But you didn't even read the letter! I explain everything in it."

"Ji... I'm so sorry... I have to go home." Seunghyun picked up his coat, the box and left.

"SEUNGHYUN, PLEASE, LISTEN TO ME." He heard Jiyong scream in his back, but he couldn't face him. Not now. He ran to his house. He was all alone that night. He collapsed on his bed and cried.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

HELLO :D

WOW, this was long lol

Hum, I promise I'll update during the weekend. This is like part one of what I wanted to do lol

But I have this big math exam tomorrow, yet I'm doing this... AHAHA.

SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS FILLED WITH MY WEIRD IMAGINATION.

And I wanted to make them go to Busan by car but the legal age to drive is eighteen... so they took the train lol

Thank you so much for subscribing and for the comments <3 
I REALLY APPRECIATE IT <3

(sorry for the spelling/grammar mistakes as well)

PS: I wrote a christmas oneshot (on paper lol so by hand) but I feel like it's too soon to post it... but please tell me if you'd be interested in a christmas fic!

(It's going to be my first christmas on AFF, so I was wondering if people wrote christmas fanfics because of the " christmas feeling" lol?)

ANYWAYS, HAVE A NICE DAY <3