Confrontation

Change

I rushed towards my car, ignoring the yells that were coming from the producer hyung behind me. I pulled out my phone and texted Changmin hyung to apologize for me but gave no more explanation than that. My phone immediately started ringing and I just ignored the call without looking and put it on silent. My mind was reeling as I started the engine. How had we even come to this? Why hadn't I seen it more clearly. I had never done more than apologize for being late, I didn't even realize that that wasn't the problem. But she could have told me. She should have told me. We were best friends, weren't we? That was it though, we hadn't been able to see each other and talk it out, but we were going to do it now. She'd been in Japan and really busy for so long, and she was finally home, and we weren't going to fight through it. I pushed my foot harder on the gas, determined to see her before the performances started, which meant I would only have an hour to get there and make her forgive me. I wasn't sure who she was close enough with to actually go support but that didn't matter right now. I finally arrived in front of KBS, threw my keys to one of the valet workers, and dashed up the steps towards the doors.

As soon as I pushed them open I tried to keep my eyes peeled for anyone that would know were she is. There were staff, managers, and coordis all over the place but it wasn't until I was close to the waiting rooms that I began to see a few idols I knew, but none that knew Nicole. I was just rushing through the hallway until I saw the Beast label and paused a few steps past their door. Hopefully Dongwoon would be there, if anyone knew where she was, a 91-liner would. Ignoring the niggling thought that I was forgetting something, I knocked on the door. Hyunseung opened it a crack, then smiled when he saw who it was. I strode in, a man on a mission, but couldn't help but crack a smile at seeing how excited they were to see me. Yoseob hyung jumped up and down and gave me a hug, then went back to the couch next to Junhyung hyung who smiled at me and gave me a nod. Dongwoon had stood up immediately when he saw me and now clapped me on the back, grinning from ear to ear.

"Jinwoon-ah! You came, thank you! It's been a while."

I wasn't really sure what he meant by that but I smiled and nodded, then pulled him aside to ask him if he knew where Nicole was.

"Cole-ah? She went to get some snacks at the vending machines with--"

But I was already gone, rushing towards the vending machines I used to go with her to when we were promoting at the same time. I could hear her voice and was already seconds from saying her name, when I heard another voice accompanying it. Oh god, why. I had been about to round a corner to where the vending machines sat, but instead I just peeked my head around to see what I already knew from just hearing. Key was with her. Yup, Key, who I was absolutely certain was still in Japan. I guess that's what you get from not talking to both of your most social friends, you fell out of the loop. I pulled my head back and leaned it against the wall, slamming it a few times softly enough that they wouldn't hear. I was never going to be able to talk to her if they were together. What the hell was I supposed to do. I decided that for now, just standing here would be enough, they didn't know I was there and it would be the perfect moment to see if they talked about me. For a few moments they just talked about what they wanted and then they mentioned that Dongwoon had wanted a Coke. Nicole laughed that she was going to tell him that she wasn't going to give it to him unless he impressed her on his special stage tonight.

Oh, right. Beast's special stage. Of course that was why they were here. I had spoken about it with Dongwoon a week before but had been so preoccupied with Nicole that I had forgotten. That's what Dongwoon had been talking about and why he had thanked me. Oops, at least I was here now, I would make it up to him sometime later. By now they had finished gathering everything and they both carried several snacks and drinks in their arms. It was now or never, and I wanted it to be now. I took a deep breathe and stepped out from behind the wall. They both stopped in their tracks, but I must have been frightening because Nicole squeaked and dropped everything she was carrying on the ground.

"Jinwoon-ah," she said "What are you doing here?"

For a second I just stared at her. It felt like so long since I had seen her last. And now seeing her, breathing in front of me, it was all I could do not to run and pick her up in my arms and twirl her around. For now though, I couldn't tell her the truth, that I had come from her, so I lied that I had come to support Dongwoon. Key however, who had been silent up to this point, raised his stupid eyebrow like he always does when he's about to call someone out.

"Oh really? Because I heard that the producer Onew hyung wanted to work with couldn't come today because he was helping out with your album."

Nicole shot me a look so I had to quickly come up with another lie, I told them that we finished early. But they both knew me too well and they knew I was lying. She didn't know why I was lying but it was rare for me to do and she looked hurt. I started to panic because we were already on bad enough terms as it was.

"Let me just explain--" I started, but Key, of course, had other ideas.

"I'm afraid we have to get back, we have to make sure were there to support Dongwoon." He gently hit her shoulder with his own to get her moving since his hands were still full of snacks. That seemed to have brought her to her senses becuase she then leaned down to pick up one of the bags from the floor.

I couldnt do this anymore. I just couldnt. We needed to talk and we needed it now. I marched forward, ignoring Key as he began to step in front of her, hah, as though I would ever be a danger to this girl. I grabbed her wrist and pulled her into standing position. She dropped the bag on the way up and looked at me, wide eyed and bewildered since I had never treated her like this before.

"Jinwoon.."

"Nicole, we need to talk." I began to pull her gently away, when I heard several items hitting the floor, then she stopped moving with me. I looked back and saw that Key was holding her other hand. Oh man, now I looked like a barbarian. I let my hand slide downwards to her hand.

"Nicole," he said "Think about what you're doing."

"Cole-ah," I insisted "Please."

 

--

Author: Sorry I update so infrequently guys! I honestly have trouble coming up with what to do with these kids. Sorry if it's getting repetitive. I am once again and always too lazy to proofread so sorry for any mistakes. I have no idea when I'll update again but thank you for those of you who subscribed and especially those who leave comments. They keep me wanting to write more! :)