That Night

Change

It was the night after Nicole had come over and I was laying in bed, unable to sleep. I just kept thinking back to what had happened after key had texted her. I closed my eyes and saw her smiling face again, blushing a little bit in response to his text. I quickly grabbed the phone from her and held it away, my hand straight up above me head out of her reach, laughingly saying that if they kept it up they were going to end up falling for each other. She just laughed and reached for it, her body brushing up slightly against mine. I suddenly in my breath and gave her her phone back. She snatched it away, looking as though nothing had happened and turned to me smiling, asking why I had given up so easily. Under normal circumstances, she would have had to chase me around the room to get it and she knew that.

Unfortunately for me, most of what she was saying was being drowned out by the rushing in my ears. I just smiled and shrugged as I waited for my heart beat to return to normal. What was wrong with me? I obviously know what it's like to like a girl, I had my first kiss years ago, but this was Nicole, silly, hungry, playful, boyish, best friend Nicole. As I tossed and turned in my bed, I couldnt help but wonder if I actually like her or if this was more competition with Key. I mean, since were the same age we get along really well but theres also that innate need to beat him at everything thats there. And maybe that just included Nicole. Speaking of Nicole, I turned my head and looked at my clock, frustrated. 12:01. I shifted away and gave the clock my back, trying to shut out what it was telling me. She was late.

I thought again to earlier after the text. It was starting to get late, around 8:30 and both of us had early schedules in the morning, but neither of us wanted her to leave. We were sitting on the couch and she was leaning her head against arm rest with her legs out on the rest of the couch, legs bent at the knees. She was texting and playing games on her phone while I was sitting on the other end playing with my guitar. I kept looking at her through the corner of my eye and she wasn't smiling at her phone too often so I suspected it wasn't Key. She suddenly set her phone to the side and looked at me.

"Play me something" She asked

I smiled, her attention was on me. "What do you want to hear?"

"The song that defines you."

I laughed out loud then turning to her seriously I asked, "Are you sure you want that one?"

She smiled expectantly and nodded.

I turned my body fully towards her on the couch, sitting indian style facing her. I picked up her legs and layed them on my thigh, letting her stretch them out. Grabbing one of her feet I held it in front of my face, clearing my throat I let out a few, "ah, ah, ah"s. I tapped it a few times and she giggled.

"Microphone, please be more professional."

"Sorry, please continue."

I "check, check, 1, 2, 3"ed on my microphone before setting it back down on my thigh and starting up the song.

"I hope you're ready for this, the song that describes me better than any other, and should be constantly sung by me, to her, quoted by Jung Nicole."

"Mmmm" she murmered, smiling, ready for what was to come.

I cleared my throat for real this time and began singing.

When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye

I looked her in the eye and winked, she spurted out a little laugh.


You're just like an angel
Your skin makes me cry

She fake pinched her cheeks for color and flipped her hair back.


You float like a feather
In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so ing special

She let out another laugh and made a few goddess-like motions that Gyuri was known for. I laughed before going whole heartedly into the next line.


But I'm a creep

She suddenly burst into laugher, covering her eyes with one hand and hitting the couch with the other. I decided to put a little more feel in the next line, giving it as ssanti a feel as I could.


I'm a weirdo

She suddenly pulled legs off my lap and fell off the couch, holding her stomach with laugher. I was laughing too as I started to sing the next lines.


What the hell am I --

Suddenly there was the sound of her ringtone, we both suddenly stopped laughing and turned towards it. She glanced at it and looked back at me, an apologetic look in her eyes. The mood was dead, shattered, murdered, spit on and lit on fire. And i'll give you one guess who was holding the match.

I quickly picked it up before she could and sat on it. She looked up at me shocked, with the same face she always had, like the one she had after I taunted her on the Happy Together show. It just kept ringing and my face started to look uncomfortable. She started to laugh again and laughed harder as it continued to ring and my face continued to twist.

"It's on vibrate," She barely whispered through her peels of laughter.

I knew that, and I was just glad that the happy atmosphere was back, Key in the back of her mind. After we a minute or so I finished the song and returned her phone. I told her to remember why it was warm as I handed it back to her and she made a disgusted face and held the phone between ther thumb and pointer finger. She smiled slightly at me and said it was getting late and that she should go. I smiled back and told her to be careful, but she was just going outside where her manager was going to pick her up.

Still unable to sleep, I thought of the one thing that night that was making me uneasy. It was when she was leaving, she apologized for spending so much time on her phone this time. That was fine, I hadn't really thought anything of it until she said, "It's just that Key and I have a lot to talk about." Of course as she said it I smiled and nodded, acting understanding, but I didnt understand. We hadn't talked about anything serious all day. Why was it that she had things to talk about to Kibum and not to me? I made a frustrated noise and pulled the blanket over my head. Willing myself to just fall asleep or willing the phone to ring, preferably the latter.

But it was no use, I sat up and decided to go to the kitchen to get some water. As I walked out of the room I threw a longing glance at my cell but it was to no avail, it sat silent and sad on my side table. It wasn't until I was a few steps outside my door that I heard the noises I was dying to hear. I raced back to my phone and looked down, checking the name.

I took a deep breath, answering the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hiii."

"What are you doing?'

"Recording went late, what about you?"

"Nothing, about to go to sleep."

"Oh, sleep then, I'll talk to you tomorr-"

"No, stay, Nicole, I'm fine, talk to me."

"Ok, good, so you won't believe what happened..."

I let out a sigh of relief.

--

 

Author: Hope you guys like the second chapter. Thanks for those who subscribe and especially the person who commented. :) Makes me want to write more. This is a little rough, we'll see if I'll come back and edit it. Sorry for the mistakes if I don't!