Regret

Change

As soon as I realized what time it was I stood up, pulling my phone out of my pocket. I must have looked panicked because Seohyun touched my arm and asked me if I was alright. I just nodded at her and told her I needed to use my phone quickly. I saw her nod in response in my peripheral vision as I walked away. I quickly dialed Nicole's number and put the phone to my ear, tapping my foot impatiently. Please answer. Please. No answer. I was starting to write her a message when a text suddenly popped up on screen. It was Nicole. Thank god.

Hey. I got a ride. Don't worry about it. I'll call you later.

Oh, . She was so angry. All those periods, not one emoticon. She was not going to call me later. . . . Ok, it's fine. It's Nicole, she's laidback, I told myself, she'll get over it soon. I'll explain it to her, she knows Seohyun is my dream girl. Oh right, Seohyun. I quickly texted Nicole about 400 sorrys before returning to apologize to Seohyun. She accepted it kindly and told me she was going to go in now. I bid her good night and immediately got in my car, feeling like I had to rush somewhere but had no where to go. I don't know why, but for some reason I felt like I had to go back to the restaurant.

And while I can thank my instincts for leading me there, I wish I hadn't gone back.

I arrived, for some reason feeling like she was still there, and then I spotted them. Nicole was sitting in the same spot she had earlier but now Key was sitting across from her, in the seat I had been in earlier in the day. They were smiling at each other and suddenly started laughing when she started to stab the meat in front of her like she was attacking it. I smiled for a second before realizing what was happening in front of me and pulled out my phone again. I called her first, to see how she would respond to my call. I saw the phone next to her and watched as she glanced at it, hit the silent button and continue with her conversation with Key. I was ready to spit fire. I knew I deserved it, but I hated that she was sitting there, talking to him when she was ignoring my calls. It looked like he asked who it was, motioning towards her phone, and she just shrugged. So I decided the only way to figure out the situation was to call Kibum and see how he'd react. See if she told him I'd forgotten about her. As though I wasn't feeling low enough, letting my rival know he was winning.

Wait. Since when was Key my rival with Nicole?

Anyway, I was calling. I saw him look at his phone and then show her who was calling. She shrugged and allowed him to answer. We exchanged pleasantries before I asked him where he was. He told me the truth, he was out with Nicole and was waiting for her manager to come pick her up. I tried my best to keep my anger out of my voice as I asked him why he wasn't at his schedule. He told me that since the first few hours were just prep and they could do it without him though they preffered for him to be there. But Nicole had called him and told him she was alone and her manager was driving Hara to her next schedule so he wouldnt be able to pick her up for an hour. So his manager had allowed him to come for an hour before he had to come back, but he'd be going back in about 15 minutes.  I quickly did the math and realized that she had been alone for over an hour before she had called him. It also seemed like he didn't know exactly why she was alone. Agh, I hated myself for forgetting, and it was like she knew I would, she warned me before I left. And even still, for some reason, I was angry with her. I hated that she called him and hated that he was there for her when I wasn't. I had no excuse. And what was angering me the most was that throughout this entire conversation they were trading looks with each other. It was just like they always did, but now it was completely at my expense. And once again, I knew I deserved it. As a last plea, I asked him to let me speak with her, if he didn't know she should be angry with me, he would just hand it over right? He raised his eyebrow and tilted the phone toward her, indicating I'd like to speak with her, she shook her head no with more force than I thought was necessary. He nodded approvingly. From my car I watched this, starting to feel nervous. He might know.

He told me she was in the bathroom and that she couldnt talk right now. I saw her feed him those lines, right before feeding him some meat, and I saw them both laugh. I don't know why, I just kept getting more and more nervous. This was going so so wrong. I told him it was really nice of him to keep her company, and I thanked him for taking care of her. And then I saw him lock eyes with her, and smile. And that was the moment I knew my fears were founded. While looking straight into her eyes he told me,

You're not someone who should be thanking me for taking care of her.

And he hung up. He knew and he had officially thrown the gauntlet. For a few seconds I didn't know what to do. He was in there with her, and I was outside sitting in my car watching them like a creeper. What was I supposed to do to fix this? It was just then that I saw her managers van pull up. And let me tell you, I have never in my life been happier for her to leave from somewhere, when most of the time I want her to stay in my sights. She got up and hugged him goodbye like she always did, but today felt different. Different enough for me to almost get out of my car and run over to them. But they let go after a few seconds and she walked out while he watched. As she was stepping towards her van, she glanced across the street to where I was parked and we locked eyes. Hers widened as she realized I was there and I watched as she tried to figure out how long. But after only a few seconds her eyes dropped. I was shocked. She didn't look at me again and walked into her van, never looking back once as it drove away. I couldnt believe it, she was ignoring me. No matter how angry she was, she had never ignored me before. I tried calling her again, no response.

It's fine, I told myself, she'll get over it. We're best friends, we can't go more than a day without talking to each other. It would be fine. Just need to give her some time to cool down.

 

That is what I had hoped.

 

---

Sorry I haven't updated in so long guys! For the few of you who were actually reading this. It's been a while so I couldnt get the feel exactly write, tell me what you think and if theres any particular direction you want it to go, though idk how soon I'm going to get to update.