Chapter 4

Dreaming Of You.

 

*Sorry in advance for any spelling errors. >__< I will try to fix them later*
 
Lena's Pov
 
"Hyunwoo!" I called out his name as I made my way down the steps. He looked up at me and grinned. "Hey. Ready for school?" He asked taking my books. "As ready as I'll ever be." I joked and began walking. I spotted Earlie and Stanley walking further ahead of us and smiled. "Maybe you and Stanley could be friends one day." I said looking at him. He shrugged and tensed up when a car slowed up beside us. "Chinks and s are allies? Who would've thunk it? Ya kids would be some kinda funny lookin. Does yo daddy know you out here mixin with Chinks girl?"A Police officer asked me with a wink. "No sir." I replied as politely as I could. He looked Hyunwoo up and down then smirked. "You should come and work for me girl. I'll be yo otha daddy. My house needs a good cleanin and the wife won't do it. I'll pay a pretty penny and treat ya real nice." The officer said as he touched my arm. I slightly pulled away and declined. "No thank you sir. I need to get to school now. Come on Hyun." I said walking away with Hyunwoo's hand tightly clasped around my own.
 
              We heard a door slam shut and the gravel behind us crunch. "Well, I wasn't finish talking to you, You go on now boy. I have to business with you." The officer said grabbing my arm and pulling me towards his car. Hyunwoo stepped closer to the officer and removed his hands from my arm. "She was done talking to you. You should leave." He said as he stared down at the officer. "Whoa, pretty deep voice ya gots there Chink. Who knew China was breeding people like you? Keep her. Plenty of s who want a chance at a better life. I'll get me a cute lightskin one." He said backing away with a little wave and hopped in his car. "Lena!?" Mama called rushing towards us. "Mama." I breathed out and met her half way. "Are you alright? I came out to give you your lunch and saw that officer touching you. I saw what happened. Are you Hyunwoo?" She asked him. "Yes. It's nice to meet you Mrs. Lewis." He said with a bow and looked down. "Come on inside. Both of you. You ain't goin to school today. That pig might be lurkin 'round for you later. 'Specially you." She said with a nod at Hyunwoo. He quickly bowed and followed behind us. When we got inside he took off his shoes and waited by the door. Me and mama looked at each other confused until I spoke up.
 
           "Why'd you take your shoes off Wooie?" I asked with a soft smile. He blushed and coughed. "It is custom to take off your shoes before entering a house." He said as he continued to look down. "Well, we should start doin that huh Le? Keeps the carpet clean too I bet." Mama said as she took off her shoes and placed them beside his. I did the same and pulled him into the kitchen. "Would you like something to eat Hyunwoo?" Mama asked as she put on her apron. "No thank you." He said with a small shake of his head. "Wooie, you said that you'd try Black food. Nows the time to try it!" I said excitedly. He thought for a moment and nodded his head. Mama made grits, cheese eggs, sausage  pancakes and fruit then placed it all in front of a curious Hyunwoo. "Well, try it." Mama said sitting across from us. He took the fork and cut a little piece of pancake and ate it. "Mmm!" He moaned and began to dig, causing Mama to laugh like a little girl and clap her hands. "Do ya like it?" She asked with a wide smile on her face. "YES! I mean, yes. I am sorry for yelling." Hyunwoo said with a blush. "Isn't he just the cutest Mama?" I said kissing his cheeks and stealing a piece of sausage  "Yah Lena." He whispered and continued to eat. "I have a story to tell you about Lena. Hyunwoo, she was a strange child..." Mama said as she started her story.
 
Hyunwoo's Pov
 
"So I told her 'No Lena! You don't stand up to pee! You're a girl!'" Mrs. Lewis said with a loud laugh. I joined in and snorted. "Mama, why did you have to tell this story?" Lena groaned and hid her face behind her hands. "Why DID you try to stand up and pee?" I asked the embarrassed girl beside me. "I have 7 brothers. I thought I was like them so I tried to do what they did." She said with a pout. "I think it's cute." I said bumping her with my shoulder playfully. "Ugh.. I'll be back. Mama, please. No more stories." Lena said quickly leaving the table. "Hyunwoo. I'd like a lot of grandchildren. I have a lot of children and I expect a bunch of grandchildren. Make this happen for Mama Lewis?" Her mom said seriously.
 
          "I-I. You...I..huh?" I stuttered. "You make my little Lena so giddy. She's never been this happy before and I know it had to do with you." She said placing a hand over mine. We heard a loud cough come from the front door and she quickly released my hand. ". It's Jimmy." She whispered as she stood up and placed the dirty dishes in the sink. "Where you at women?" a voice boomed through the house. Loud steps came into the kitchen and I slightly frowned. "Who the hell is this?" He demanded looking at me. "It's Hyunwoo. Lena's friend from down the street." Mama Lewis said with a smile directed my way. "Are you sleepin with him?" Jimmy asked loudly. "No fool. He's here for Lena. They had a run in with the cops earlier and he protected her. I thanked him by giving him something to eat." Mama Lewis said with a slight attitude. Jimmy sat down in front of me and smirked. "I bet you don't even speak English. Lemme say something I know you can understand. Ching Chong Ling Long. Rice Rice Raw Fish. Bwong!" He said laughing at his own jokes.
 
          "It's nice to meet you sir." I said in clear English. He jumped back and fell over in the chair. I inwardly laughed at the shock on his face. "Damn boy. Don't you know not to scare a man like that in his own house? Don't they teach you manners in China?" He said getting back up. "I wouldn't know. I'm Korean sir. I have to leave but it was nice meeting you both." I said bowing and tossing a wink at Mama Lewis. I spotted Lena on my way to the door and decided to give in my my feelings and quickly kissed her before walking out of the door. "Hyunwoo!" She whispered with a blush. I turned around to find her lips back on mine and pushing me out the door. "See you tomorrow Le." I said happily running down the stairs. "What's up with the crazy cat smile?" Min Ah asked as she and Malcom sat on out front steps. "Nothin." I said walking by them dreamily.

 

*I forget that they've actually met before. Heh*