Chap 3

Dreaming Of You.

 

*sorry if this , this chap somehow had gotten lost so I had to make a quick one up which is why Lena's Pov was alone. ha. Oops*
 
Hyunwoo's Pov
 
"What's got you all happy?" Min Ah asked when I walked through the door smiling. "Nothing. I just made a new friend." I said walking past her and into the kitchen. She followed behind me and snorted. "Is it a girl?" She prodded as I rumaged through the fridge. "Yes. Her name is Lena Lewis. She knows Korean and everything." I said with a wide smile on my face. "She must be Malcom's sister. He said his little sister taught him Korean and he helped me out today." She said thinking. "Oh really? Seems like the Lewis' are helpful people." I said with a laugh. She laughed with me then frowned. "What's wrong?" I asked noticing her change of expression. "Umma sent a letter today. She said her and Appa are still on the run. Govenrment officals found their last spot so the letters won't be as often." She said as she handed me the letters. I opened it up and noticed that one was also in my father's handwritting. It must be serious if he's writting the letter. I read his first.
 
 
Dear Min Ah and Hyunwoo,
 
I'm sorry that we had to move you to America alone but it was in best interest. We wanted you to leave North Korea and start new lives. This life will drain you and neither one of us wanted you two to face what we happened to us. Your Umma and I will set up a sturdy envuiorment in South Korea as soon as we are able to get across. We will change our names and features to ensure our safety and yours. These letters won't be continuous as there are people looking for us and it will be hard to write in cramped spaces. Please take care of each other. The America's are having a race war and I don't want you two in the middle of it. The bombing of Pearl Harbor made the American's worried so they have begun sending the Japanese into camps until the war is over. They cannot tell the differecne and may try to put you in the camps. This is the reason your Umma and I decided to send you to the southern part of the States. They have their own problems and you aren't one of them. I know this seems weird that this letter is in English, but not many Koreans know English so this letter will be alien to them. Stay safe.
Love,
Appa
 
Dear Minnie and Hyunnie...,
 
I miss you both so much, it kills me. I know I made the right decision in sending you both away but sometimes I regret it. I miss your smiling faces and your arguing but it is for the best. The place we once called home is no longer there. We do not know how long it will be before we see each other again but we will see each other again. Please eat good and rest and study. No until you're married! Stay away from trouble, eat all of your veggies and shoes off in house MIN AH! I hope you both make great friends so you won't be alone. I have to go but I will write soon. I love you both.
Love
Umma
 
p.s.
Cut your hair Hyunwoo. I feel as if I have two beautiful daughters instead of one beautiful daughter and one handsome son.
 
I laughed at my Umma's letter and folded it back up. "I miss them but we have great friends to keep us preoccupied." Min Ah said smiling. I agreed and went up to my room. We were very rich in North Korea so our parents were able to send us away from the country with enough money to last us 10 years on our own without working. We bought the first house that we saw and quickly moved in. Min Ah enrolled us into school and began studying so she would be caught up, I did the same but not to the extent as she did. This is her final year in high school and my first so I wasn't as pressed about school as she was. Min Ah wanted to get into a great school until we had to leave, now she's looking into which schools in the south are intergrated and close. I felt bad that she wouldn't graduate with her long time friends but felt better knowing that she'd make friends here. She's a likeable person. I walked downstairs to find her dancing to a song on the radio in the kitchen.  "Shoes Min Ah." I said looking down and noticing they were still on her feet. "Shh, Umma might hear you. I'm on my way out anyway. I know they sent us here with a lot of money but I still want to find a job. Just in case and don't worry. Malcom offered to go with me so I won't be alone. Bye Hyun." She said breezing past me and out of the door. I watched as she and Malcom slowly walked down the street. She gasped and pulled Malcom into a hug and rubbed his back. I frowned and looked towards his house to see his brothers all sitting on the porch looking angry. I guess they were mad at each other since no one was talking or looking at each other. I looked on for a few more minutes in hopes of seeing Lena but she never came outside. I thought about going over there but I remember her telling me that her father didn't like people of other races and that she wasn't allowed to have any guy friends except for Stanley. I sighed to myself and decided to go to bed early.