The First Day

A Mixed Romance

   Jonghyun softly snored as he slept, his eyes just a little open. Taemin hovered over him, not sure whether he was awake or not. He poked his nose.

   “Hyung….Hyung? Are you awake?” he whispered. Jonghyun continued to snore, not answering. Key, who was watching from afar, gently pulled Taemin back.

   “You’re not going to wake him up this way Taemin. Watch and learn,” he demonstarted, pulling Jonghyun by the collar of his shirt and shaking him. “YAH JONGHYUN-AH. YOU’VE GOT FIVE SECONDS TO WAKE UP BEFORE I GET THE WATER.”

   Within an instant, his eyes quickly opened as his head confusedly turned around, trying to decipher the situation. Upon realiziation, his eyes crossed as he yelled back at Key.

   “PUT ME DOWN. YOU’RE NOT MY MOTHER!” he commanded. Key looked taken aback, but dropped him.

   “WELL EXCUSE ME. Who’s the one that makes your meals and cares for you when you’re sick? Do you think Onew hyung is capable of that kind of stuff?” Key argued.

   “Please don’t drag me into your arguments,” Onew’s voice could be heard from underneath his blankets, where he’d buried himself.

   “I wouldn’t have to drag you in if you’d act like the leader and do something!” Key retorted.

   “It’s too early for you guys to be aruging. Go back to sleep,” a tired Minhothrew a pillow at Key. Cheeks puffing and fury rising, Key chucked it back at him.

   “It’s 6:00 AMand Jonghyun-ah has to head over to the UFAbuilding to fulfill his bet! Now, if he hadn’t been so dumb as to fall for her trap, we could all be sleeping in until 9,” Key fumed, redirecting his rage towards Jonghyun, who still had his eyebrows furrowed.

   “Not my fault. And it’s not like I have to go. We only did that for the show,” Jonghyun mumbled underneath his breath.

   “Or so you think. She’s taking this seriously and if you don’t go then you might as well have dishonored SM Town!” Key threw his hands into the air for emphasis.

   Taemin pulled Key’s arms down, trying to calm him, “It’ll be ok hyung. He was a dishonor to begin with…”

   “Watch your mouth Taemin,” Jonghyun angrily spat, getting up and facing his dongsaeng. As if from no where, Onew appeared, his arms stretched out to separate them.

   “Now now now everyone…Do I need to get Thera-Chicken to talk our problems out?” Onew said calmly. Jonghyun swat his arm down.

   “What good does a stuffed chicken dressed as a therapist do? You know what, I’ll go meet her if it’ll get me out of this stupid dorm,” Jonghyun hissed, walking around the three towards the closet.

   He threw on a random shirt some fan had given him, pulled on a pair of jeans, and walked out without looking back.

   “Did you think my reverse psychology worked?” Taemin looked at his hyungs. Key just shook his head and walked away while Onew went back to sleep.

 

   On that Saturday May morning, the wind blew lightly, slightly swaying Reina’s skirt as she stood outside the UFAbuilding waiting for Jonghyun.

   Eyes full of hope and anticipation as she turned her head both ways to scan for him, Reina bit her lip. She had no clue why she was so excited for him to show up. I guess I’m just excited since I’ve never really had a servant before… she thought as she turned to her left again.

   Her eyes widened as she saw him strolling down the sidewalk, hands in his pockets and his head lowered to hide his eyes. But she could spot him from anywhere. Before she could go girly and start waving and shouting his name happily, Reina stopped herself and put her hand to her cheek. Why am I acting like this? I have to look cool and collected. She lowered her hand and toned down her smile, quickly leaning against the wall.

   “It took you long enough. Did you forget about our bet?” she said impatiently as he walked up to her. He looked up, his eyes cold and full of rage. Her back stiffened at the sight as she stood up straighter.

   “Wish I could have…” he mumbled, looking away and walking into the building. Reina looked down dissappointedly. Did she do something wrong? Did she sound so impatient that she annoyed him? Why do I care anyway, he’s here isn’t he?

   “Yah, are you coming or not?” Jonghyun’s head slightly turned towards her. Startled, Reina simply nodded and hurried inside, grabbing his arm as she speedily passed him.

   “C’mon, because of you I’m going to be late for rehearsal!” she scolded.

   On the third floor, the other members of Morning Musume sat along the mirror, chatting. When Reina finally walked in, Jonghyun in tow, they gave a sigh.

   “It’s about time you showed up! We’ve still got to practice a bit before our new single goes out,” Zukki exclaimed, immediately standing up and moving towards the middle of the dance floor.

   “Wakatta wakatta! Give me a second,” she put her hand up to stop their comments and turned to Jonghyun. “For now, just sit and stay put, ne?” They made eye contact, and she could still feel the coldness in his eyes.

   “I’m not a puppy,” he responded, but still sat down.

   “That’s not what I heard,” Reina couldn’t help but laugh as she joined her fellow members.

   Their new single, Only You, was a ballad-like song with hints of maturity in it. As usual, Ai and Reina had taken the lead solos, although the distribution was much more fair than it had been before the Kyukkies were added.

   Each member moved swiftly and fluidly, with the occasional trip up from one of the Kyukkies. To Jonghyun it almost felt like a ballet fused with pop. He relaxed and untensed his shoulders as they practiced, and he finally felt at peace as Reina slowly closed the song.

   Smiling, Reina turned towards Jonghyun to request water, but noticed he had fallen asleep.

   “What kind of a servant is this? It’s not like we sang Onna to Otoko no Lullaby Game or something…” Sayumi commented. Reina simply continued smiling, and dug through her backpack. She draped him with her long sweater to prevent him from catching a cold.

   “Are? What’s this? Reina are you…” Ai’s eyes began to widen.

   “N-no! Not at all. Not all masters have to be cruel and work their servants to death!” Reina quickly protested. Ai still gave her a lingering glare, but then called her to finish up practice.

   Before going back, Reina glanced at Jonghyun and really kept questioning herself.

   As practice ended and everyone was leaving for their own separate activities, their manager pulled Reina aside.

   “I have excellent news for you Reina-san! The producers of ‘Yankii Rebellion’ liked your audition and have casted you for their lead!” he announced, grinning ear to ear. Reina clamped her hands over in surprise.

   “I got the lead?!” she cried, jumping up and down.

   “Yes! I just got the confirmation call from the assistant!” Manager-san nodded, jumping along with her.

   From the corner of the practice room came a groan from Jonghyun as his cellphone went off. Eyes still somewhat closed, he flipped it open.

   “What is it manager-sshi?” he answered tiredly. His eyes suddenly opened as he quickly sat up-right. “WHA—I got the lead? Really? Thanks so much ahjusshi it’s great news.”

   Reina and Manager-san looked at him in surprise as he hung up, finally realizing their presence. Her teeth suddenly began to grind.

   “Where did you get the lead?” she asked through clenched teeth.

   “Oh just some drama here in JapanI auditioned for…” he said happily, going through his messages.

   “What drama?” she demanded again. He looked up at her surprisedly.

   “Yankii Rebellion, why?” he finally replied.

   “Nothing…” she huffed furiously, going out into the hall. She scanned the halls to make sure everything was clear, then pressed her bag to her face and screamed. This was only the first day he started and already she wanted the week to end.

--------------------

End Notes:

Not the best chapter I've ever written really. I wasn't quite sure what to write after Reina won the bet, so this was the best I could come up with so far. I promise the next chapter will be far more entertaining. I actually got the inspiration for it from a picture a friend of mine posted XD

hm. I wonder, did anyone else laugh at some of the references I made in here? Like Jonghyun being a puppy or the fact that Reina got the lead in a drama titled Yankii Rebellion? I guess you would have to know a little more about both characters to understand them.

I'm sorry if I put a lot of confusion regarding Reina's feelings for Jonghyun :P! You can tell she's kind of in denial, and the reason she's so angry at the end is basically because this just makes her feelings even more confused, which frustrates her to no end.

Oh. And since technically "Only You" has yet to be released/teased at the time I wrote this, I'm not sure whether or not it's a ballad or if the solo distribution is fair xD Gomene!

(Main image a minor edit my Tumblr buddy sneezingmandoo [AKA Molly-senpai♥] made. I love her *O*)