I Dare You

A Mixed Romance

   The Kyukkies (9th generation members of Morning Musume) jumped up and down excitedly in the dressing room as Morning Musume prepared to appear on a variety show. It was a new variety show with a promising number of people already tuning in weekly. At least two artists would become guests on the show, then compete against each other for various prizes.

   “Ne ne, Gakisan, who do you think we’ll be competing against?” Michishige Sayumi asked the subleader, excitement from the Kyukkies rubbing off on her.

   “Hmm. The PD hasn’t told us anything. I suppose until we get on set all we can do is guess,” Niigaki Risa replied. Zukki groaned.

   “Why can’t we just leave our dressing room and go out to meet them?” she cried impatiently. Takahashi Ai, the leader, put a calming hand on Suzuki Kanon’s head.

   “The PDs politely asked us to stay here. We shouldn’t be rude and disrespect them. Besides, to manager-san this is show seems to be a big deal. We have to make sure we’ll be able to appear in future episodes too,” Ai calmly assured. Zukki grimaced but kept quiet, talking to some of the stylists to see if they had snacks.

   “I was awfully surprised when Tsunku brought those Korean artists backstage the other day. I recognized a lot of them. They’re really huge names, and I like some of their music,” the Kyukkie Fukumura Mizuki brought up.

   “Ah. I felt a little embarrassed knowing they saw our whole concert. I know I messed up a little bit of the choreography at one point in Souda! We’re Alive,” the other Kyukkie, Ikuta Erina chimed in. Their elders laughed.

   “I’m sure no one noticed your mistake Eripon. Even if they did, they don’t know how the choreo goes anyway,” Reina chuckled. A knock came at the door as a woman’s head popped in.

   “Ano…Morning Musume? We need you on set now,” she motioned. Zukki and Sayashii Riho dropped their snacks and hurried out first.

   The set was kind of set up like a game show. There was a scoreboard, a podium for the hosts, and there were even team names on both sides with a huge space in the middle for the games. Everyone looked up to see a flowery looking sign that said モーニング娘

   “Sugoi…” Mittsy exhaled, looking around in wonderment. Their thoughts were interrupted as Zukki loudly exclaimed, “Look who we’re facing!”

   Their heads turned to see the five members of SHINee walking onto the set as well. After hearing Zukki’s exclamation they looked up at MoMusu in surprise. “Ah, it’s Morning Musume,” you could see Taemin mouth.

   Onew gave a friendly wave, Minho and Jonghyun smiled, and Key gave them a glare, acknowledging the fact that on this show they were rivals. The hosts of the show came out from their dressing rooms, and the recording began.

   “Alright. To our left we have the lovely Morning Musume,” SMAP’s Masashiro Nakai announced. His co-host nodded.

   “And to our right side, onee-chan’s favorite boys SHINee!” Takaaki Ishibashi loudly introduced, adding extra enthusiasm than Nakai had. Nakai laughed.

   “Add all the hype you want we both know my girls will win, I already bet on them,” he joked, the audience giving a hearty laugh. The hosts turned to a wheel behind them, with a list of games that all the members of both groups had suggested. Ishibashi gave it a good spin.

   Everybody looked up at it with anxiety, hoping their event was picked. The wheel slowed down toa halt. “And our first game is…Sweet-eating contest suggested by our very own Suzuki Kanon! C’mon up here Zukki. SHINee, pick a member to run opposite this little girl!” Nakai instructed. Zukki excitedly jumped up from her seat and down to the center. Her fellow members just laughed, she could be quite a glut.

   “I got this,” Taemin smacked his chest as he walked towards the center. The audience began to clamor with excitement.

   “It looks like the youngest of the group are also the biggest eaters,” Ishibashi laughed as staff members carted out a table with a plate full of gummy worms. The two maknaes eyed each other and gave evil smiles that sent chills down the spines of their leaders.

   “First to finish wins. Ready? On your mark, get set, GO!” Ishibashi signaled. The two immediately scooped up as many as they could in their hands, shoving it into their mouths.

   “You can do this Zukki! You were made for this! GANBATTE!” Yashii, Kanon’s best friend, cheered from the Morning Musume side.

   “If you don’t win this challenge you’ll be eating boiled vegetables for a week!” Key threatened from the SHINee side. Both challengers quickened their pace. Within minutes, the pile of gummy worms had practically dissappeared, and their paces became sluggish.

   Kanon gave a disdainful face as she nibbled on her last gummy worm, while Taemin gleefully stuffed his face with the last two, standing up and giving victory signs as he silently cheered.

   “Don’t worry Zukki, it’s just the first challenge. We’ll catch up, don’t worry,” Ai reassured as a teary-eyed Kanon walked back over to their side. Nakai also shared his own encouraging words to her, and then turned the wheel again.

   “This time it’s…Hula hooping? Suggested by MoMusu’s Tanaka Reina,” he looked at her surprisedly. Reina smiled as she got up while SHINee was debating who to send.

   “Minho…this is sort of athletic…” Jonghyun reasoned.

   “I can’t hula hoop hyung…Taemin, what about you?” Minho pointed out.

   “Not after eating all those gummy worms. Jonghyun hyung, you have the hips of a woman, you do it,” Taemin said queasily. Both Onew and Key agreed, despite Jjong’s protests. Minho shoved him off their platform. Reina handed him a hula hoop.

   “Ganbatte,” she said coldly. Jonghyun felt his nerves freeze. He wasn’t sure if it was because he was facing off against her, her message, or he just didn’t want to hula hoop.

   “Begin in 3, 2, 1!” Nakai announced. Jonghyun nervously began to swing his hips, and it took him nearly all of his energy just to keep the hoop there. As for Reina, she made an effortless start and looked rather bored as she maintained her position.

   “Just because you’ve had a little practice doesn’t mean you can beat me,” Jonghyun finally said. She gave him a firey look.

   “Are you that confident in yourself?” she said with the same icy tone as earlier. Gulping, Jonghyun replied, “Of course.” A smile spread across her face.

  “Alright then. Let’s make this interesting. If I win, you have to act as my servant for a whole week,” she wagered. The other members of Morning Musume looked at her with surprise, and gave a weak laugh.

   “Fine. And if I win…um…” Jonghyun thought.

   “She’ll have to be our maid for a week!” Key called from their side.

   “Yeah, that. If I win you’ll be our maid,” Jonghyun repeated. Her smile didn’t waver as she offered her hand to him. “That’s a bet then.” He stretched out his hand, but as he shook hers, her hula hoop hit his. While she was able to distance herself and keep going, Jonghyun had lost control and ultimately dropped the hoop.

   “Yah, that’s cheating she tricked me!” he exclaimed. She laughed.

   “There’s no rules against us doing that. And besides, you had the option to not shake my hand,” she giggled. Jonghyun put his hands on his thighs, defeated, and tried to stop his hips from hurting. “I didn’t think you were this evil.”

   “Well, there’s a lot of things you don’t know about me,” Reina grinned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

End Notes:

I guess you could say this is still sort of an intro, but now it sounds a bit more interesting, ne?

Do any of you guys kind of understand why I made the main picture the way it is? If you don't, I should probably explain. That's Reina, dressed as her main anime character "Kaito Reinya" a thief that in one episode, was able to decieve a police guy that liked her, in order to break into a safe for some gold thing. Do you kind of get how that and this situation fall together? keke.

Oh and also, to all you MoMusu fans, do any of the new characters in here remind you of something? Hint, I'm referring to the hosts of this fake variety show.