December 19th, 2006.

❖ Doppelgänger: Darkness Before Light ❖

 

December 19th, 2006.

 

                He was in the library when Eun Jae suddenly approached him.

 

                “Sang Hyun ahh,” her voice, like always, sounds sad and lonely. 

 

                “Oh? Eun Jae? What are you doing here? Don’t you have any class to attend today?” he asked.

 

                She ignored his question but kept looking at his face. Her expression was so twisted, her hair was untidy, and she looked like she hasn’t been sleeping for days.

 

                 Now, he knew something was wrong. Lee Eun Jae he knew might be anti-social, and has no friends but one thing for sure, there hasn’t been a day where she would has that kind of expression. 

 

                Except for that one day almost 6 years ago, the day he first met her crying in front of his dad’s hospital. It was also the day, where for the first time, he fell in love. To a young lonely girl, whom the image of her crying and looking so alone made his heart ache so much that it made him vowed that he will never let anyone hurt her like that ever again.

                Today, that expression returns. She looked hopeless and lifeless. It made him want to throw punches to everyone that dare cross his path.

 

                “Sang Hyun ahh,” she called me again.

 

                But this time, a little louder than before.

 

                He directed his attention back to her. Then, she pulled out a wooden box from her worn out sling bag.

 

                “Take this,” she said as she placed the box on the table, right in front of him.

 

                The box was locked with a small padlock.

 

                “Can you keep this for me? At least for a while?” she stared at me as if it’s like she was trying to ask him to give up my life for her.

 

                There was a look of desperation in her eyes. It made him become speechless for a moment.

 

                “Please?” she added.

 

               “What’s this? Is there anything you want to tell me?” Sang Hyun finally gathered his sense to ask her about the box.

 

                “I can’t tell you. Promise me that you won’t open the box. I have the key with me and I will give it to you soon. Then you’ll know everything. For now, please, just keep it for me. Don’t lose it.”

 

                As soon as she finished saying all of that, she rose from the chair and left him with the box in his hand and thousands of unanswered questions in his head.