ℛemorseful ℛomance

♚ ⒹrⒶbⒷLⒺs

 


“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday Kim Taeyeon. Happy birthday to you. Blow your candles.”

She beamed at him faintly after she blown her candles. Sadness crept in her face once again.

“Is there something wrong?” He tried to catch her attention but her thoughts were a million miles away. “Taeyeon...” he nudged her this time to just see if she is still there.

“Oppa,” She sighed, “Do you think mom and dad will be here?”

“Of course! The night is young! Now, blow your candles!” He said brightly.

She gave him a cold glare and said, “It’s already midnight, you know?”

“Yes, but...”

“But... what?” she asked.

“But I’m still here! I’m your fiancé, remember?” He smiled brightly. “You are not alone, okay?”

“Aish,” she said, sighing, “I wish my parents would be here. I miss them; I miss them so bad that I d-don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Shh...” he pulled her into a hug and said, “I’m here, don’t worry,” he whispered into her ears while caressing her hair.

Tears were rolling down from her eyes. What she wanted was an impossible wish; her parents had been divorced ever since she was a kid. They both had their own families now and she was raised by her grandparents. But though she knew her wish wouldn’t happen, she was still silently hoping that it would.

For Taeyeon, Leeteuk is a precious gift. He was there from the start, and he is here ‘till now. Even though her grandparents died, he never left her. Instead, he helped and stayed by her side. He played the role of her pillars at her weakest point. Saying that he was her strength would be an understatement.

And she knew and believed that she has to be happy and be contented with her fiancé. Who wouldn’t be delighted to have Leeteuk as a future husband? Well, no one. That’s why she is happy to have Leeteuk.

But, for some reasons, sometimes, she imagines if things would have been different if her parents were there. Would she have a better life? Would she be a better person?

She didn’t know. None of it mattered anyway.

“Hey, are you okay now?” He asked.

“Does it matter? No one cares anyway. My parents don’t care anyway,” She said.

“I care, babe. It’s your birthday. You should be happy, a month from now, we’re going to get wedded. Things will be going to be okay, or even better, I promise. I’ll take care of you.” He assured her.

“I hope so.” She replied, leaning on his shoulders then she gave him a peck to his cheeks.

Leeteuk treated her like she is the precious thing on Earth (which she is, to him), like his queen. He had given her everything that she wanted, everything that she needed. He was her loyal servant and she never taken him for granted.

“Leeteuk, I think you should go now. It’s getting late,” she said patting his shoulders.

“Are you sure? Do you need company? I can stay here for a while.” He replied.

“No, i-its fine...” She uttered, sighing.

Both of them stood up and Taeyeon entered her house. Leeteuk went to the parking lot and started the engine of his car and drove his way home.

She was almost asleep when her phone suddenly rang. She picked it up and said, “Hello?”

“Taeyeon!” The girl shouted and chuckled, “It’s me, Tiffany! You never told me that you were getting married! Who is that lucky guy? Come on! Tell me! Tell your best friend!”

“Oh, Leeteuk.”

“Leeteuk?! You mean your crush way back in Senior Year?! Wow! Who would have thought he will be your prince charming?! Congratulations!”

She laughed and replied, “Haha, yes. I am sure a lucky girl. And thank you. How are you? How are you doing?”

“Well, you know I’m already here in Seoul after my exhausting work in America. Can we meet up? My treat!” She said.

“Sure, I’ll be glad to see you.” She replied.

“Alright then! Bye!” Tiffany said.

“Bye!” She hung up her phone and continued to sleep.

---------------

Next morning, she prepared herself. She wore a light make up that would make her look like a princess and the dramatic waves of her hair added to her features making her even gorgeous.

She went to the café and met her best friend. Just as soon as she stepped out of her car, Tiffany shouted her name and said, “Taeyeon! I’m right here!”

She beamed at her brightly and kissed her cheeks. “I missed you. Gosh, you look so great, Tiff!” She complimented her best friend.

“You too! I really love your outfit.”

They continued to talk for hours and eventually, Taeyeon told her love story. Tiffany was completely happy for her. They couldn’t stop to giggle like the old times.

She stood up from her seat and bowed at her, “It’s getting late. I should go.”

“Alright, then. But can I go to your house first, I’m bored at mine. Besides, I have no one to talk to.” Tiffany said.

“Sure you can! I have a lot of stories to tell you.” Taeyeon happily replied.

They both giggled and exited the café when Tiffany suddenly looked in the opposite the direction then she suddenly shut up. Taeyeon looked at her then she suddenly felt weird. She suddenly stopped from laughing and became serious.

“Taeyeon, we should go.” Tiffany claimed.

“What? Why?” She asked looking at the direction.

And it was him. She saw him. Leeteuk. With another girl flirting him.

 Tiffany tugged her arm and said, “Taeyeon we should go.”

“No!” Taeyeon shouted. She walked towards them – Leeteuk and the girl she assumedly Leeteuk is flirting with – and pulled him while he was kissing the girl. She slapped him as hard as she could.

“How dare you!” Taeyeon said.

“Babe, let me explain.” Leeteuk said calmly.

“And who is this girl?” The girl said.

Taeyeon looked at her and raised her eyebrow while examining her face. “What the hell is going on?” She pointed her fingers and said, “And just so you know, little , I’m his fiancé. Oops, ex-fiancé, I should say.”  She handed her ring to the girl and slapped the girl’s face. “Come on, Tiffany. I want to go home.”

She pulled Tiffany’s hands and they headed to her car. She immediately started her car’s engine then she started to cry. Tiffany patted her shoulders and said, “Taeyeon, it’s alright. I’m right here. Would you mind changing seats? I know you cannot drive. Let me.”

They exchanged seats but she continued to cry harder. Tiffany sounded just like Leeteuk. Everything reminded her of Leeteuk. It is just like the same words that he told her on her birthday. That he’ll always be there for her. That he’s always there to help her no matter what. But now, it was another broken promise. Just like what happened to her parents, she was given false hope again.

Thoughts were playing in her mind. Everything was regrettable.

As they arrived at her house, she leaned her head over her seat and she continued sobbing, “Why is this happening to me?  I thought he loves me. Why? Did I do anything wrong?”

“Shh... You never did anything wrong, honey. It’s his fault, not yours.” Tiffany said in a soothing tone.

She exited her car and went inside her house. Tiffany followed her and placed her bag on the couch. She followed Taeyeon as she entered her room and she sat down next to her.

“Taeyeon...” She said.

“I’m alright Tiff, I’m alright. I can do this Tiff.  I can do this. I’m gonna be alright Tiff, I’m gonna be alright. I want to be alright Tiff... I want to be alright. I am n-not al-right.” Her voice cracked and she finally burst out of tears.

“You will be... Trust me...”

After that night, Taeyeon decided to confront him. It was harder than she thought it would be.

“Leeteuk, why did you do that to me? Did I...”

“Taeyeon, I’m so sorry... Please... Give me another chance.” He begged. He knelt down and offered her the ring. “Please, Taeyeon, marry me, again.”

She just sighed and tears were forming in her eyes, “Leeteuk, we’ve been through this. I don’t want to get hurt again. You did to me once before we got engaged and now you’re doing it again. I already forgiven you before, I don’t know if I can do it again.”

“But... Do you still love me?” He asked Taeyeon, still hoping that this mess could be fixed.

“Yes, I... I do.” I told him honestly.

“We can work this out. Please, don’t leave me.” He asked Taeyeon, pulling her into a hug.

“We can’t. At least, we cannot work this out now. There’s love but...  there’s no trust anymore. I don’t know how this relationship will work if every time I’ll see you with a girl, I’ll get jealous and if every time you have chance, you would cheat on me. I don’t know, Leeteuk. I honestly don’t know what to do anymore. But one thing’s for sure, we have to settle things over. I won’t marry you.” Taeyeon heartlessly and bluntly said. She was hurt, but one thing she learned in life was that whatever problem she may face, she should face it head on. And that’s what she’s doing right now. It may be painful, but she believed it’s for the best.

She left. Without any lingering moments attached, without any regrets. Years from now, I know I will be happy. I know things would be better. I will be better. Even without him.

“Mommy! Mommy! I want that teddy bear!” Aeyoung said, pulling Taeyeon’s hands.

“Mommy! I want a toy car too!” Dae young uttered pouting his lips.

Suho, Taeyeon’s husband patted her head and said, “Alright baby, I’ll come with you. And you, Daeyoung, just like I promise... you can have the toy car you wanted.”

“Cool!” He shouted smiling at his dad.

He turned to Taeyeon and said, “Let’s just meet up later.” She beamed at him and said, “Alright.” She gave him a peck on his lips and continued to push the cart to continue to buy some groceries.

After she broke up with Leeteuk, she went for a vacation in America and she met Suho. Unlike Leeteuk, he was more sensitive, more caring and he never broke his promises. Suho knew all of her past; from what happened to her parents ‘till what happened with Leeteuk.

After they got married, they were gifted with a son and a daughter. They were twins a matter-of-fact. Taeyeon never thought that her life would be like this.

She never thought that her life would never be this perfect. A perfect husband, a perfect life, and wonderful kids just what like she wanted, just like what she imagined.

“Oops! I’m sorry.” Taeyeon apologized, she didn’t notice a guy walking at the same direction as her, and she was busy looking at the nutrient facts at the food she was getting for her children.

“Taeyeon?” Leeteuk said in disbelief, his eyes grew larger.

“Leeteuk!” She said, smiling brightly at him. “How are you?”

“I – I’m fine. H – How about you? Are you still mad at m – me?” He stuttered.

“Of course not!” She spanked his shoulders and giggled.  “I’m already happy with my life now, with my husband and my kids and –”

“You got married?” He asked, it was an undisputed fact that he still loves her until now and he’s still hoping that they can be together again.

“Yes,” She smile brightly and nodded, “I did! My family’s here do you want to see my kids and you should meet my husband.”

“Oh... No... I – I have to go.” Leeteuk said beaming at her.

“Mommy!” Aeyoung greeted running to her. “I got my teddy bear already!”

“Mom! I got my car!” Daeyoung followed.

“Woah! Woah! Kids slow down!” Suho told them laughing, they were so cute.

And Taeyeon knew that was the right time to introduce them to each other – Leeteuk and her family.

“Suho, this is Leeteuk. Leeteuk, this is Suho, my husband.” She introduced them to one another. Her words were like a shard of ice piercing through Leeteuk’s heart.

“I’m Suho,” Suho offered his hands and Leeteuk shook it back. “I’m Leeteuk.”

“Bye,” he beamed at all of them and continued his tracks but his ear caught some of their conversation.

“Mommy, who is he?” Aeyoung asked.

“He was the guy I used to love.” She answered.

I should’ve taken good care of her while she was still mine. I should’ve remained faithful. I should’ve done better. I know I’ll always regret hurting the girl I love. At least she’s happy now, that’s what she deserves. He told himself, but it was already too late. And things will not ever been the same as it was before. Taeyeon already moved on, and so should he.