Letters

Xiumin Drabbles.

 

A/N: Pretend Luhan is the oldest, okay?


 

Present Day:

I’m sorry, but we can’t do this anymore. It’s over.

That’s what his last letter said. No explanation. No emotion. Nothing. I sat there in front of my computer, staring blankly at the screen, re-reading. I rubbed my eyes to make sure it was real, taking it in. After a few minutes, my fingers grazed across the keyboard, heart aching as I typed each word;

If it makes you happier, than I guess this is goodbye. Take care, Kim Minseok.

Without hesitation, I pressed sent and shut off my computer. I cried that night--and every other night for the next two days.


“Hyung, what..what does it say?” His voice just above a whisper.

“Do you really think this is a good Idea?”

“It’s for the best.”

“You’re an idiot.”

“Can you just read it to me?” Luhan sighed, reading back her reply.

Minseok clenched his fist, lips trembling, and tears threatening to fall.

Darkness. Black. Empty. It was all he could see now and he hated what he had become.


I’m not that strong and I’m not trying to be that weak. I don’t know everything, but I’m still trying to figure these things out. I question a lot and try to solve my own questions. I’m fragile because I’ve been broken so many times. I’ve learned so much, but not enough. I’m not that great, no am I amazing; I’m just trying to understand everything and solve it the best way I can. Even though all of these shouldn’t affect me…they do. But all that changed the moment I met you.

I miss you, Minseok.

*saved as draft*

A week had past and still no word from him. All the letters have completely stopped. What did I do wrong? A question that constantly repeated in my mind; He hates me…

Letting out a small sigh, I got up and proceeded with the day. “Another day, another dollar,” I chided to myself.

And so I put on my make-up, a small smile appeared as I take out my beloved DSLR from its case. It’s been a while since I had to go to a shoot. I cleared my head, ridding the thoughts of him—at least pushing them to the deepest part of my mind, and grabbed my keys.

Stepping out the door, a cold chill blew past. Fall was coming to an end and winter would arrive soon. I gazed up at the sky, taking a deep breather before forcing a smile upon my face. I walked around the silent streets, making way to the SM building. I guess a new group was forming and they needed a photographer—today is going to be a long day.

I stopped in front of the building, fixing any wrinkles and such, before making my way in. A few teenagers stood around, trying to take a peek inside the building. I smiled their way, giving them a small bow before walking inside. After consulting with the female at the front desk, I was directed to the infamous blue sky, white clouded dance room.

I made eye contact with six boys. I eyed each one carefully as the stylists touched up and smudged make-up or misplaced strand of hair. No one seemed to notice my presence until I cleared my throat lightly. Heads turned as I help my camera up. They sighed in relief, thinking it was a fan and explained to me what I had to do. Watch them practice. Take photos of each member while practicing. Repeat. Did I mention that today was going to be a long day?

As I was working, six more boys made their way inside the room. I paid no mind to them and continued snapping away.

Charismatic. Stiff. Adorable. Angelic. Powerful. Arrogant.

Those words defined what those boys were portraying. They did not fit together, but somehow, someway, these boys made it possible. I smiled as I took one last shot. I put my camera down and cued for the music to stop. I gave a bow to the boys, thanking them for their hard work, before dismissing them for break.

I turned to the small table the staff had set up for me, uploading the files and looking through each one. Perfect.

After doing so, I turned to face fresh new faces and tilted my head in confusion. Another stylist was quick to whisper into my ear that these boys were a part of the same group. Wow, twelve boys in one group. Hah. It took you 3 years to try and learn Super Junior, there was no way in hell you would bother trying to learn their names; Yet they still introduced themselves and you nodded at each one. It was the same, except this group seemed to lack something. Chemistry.

“Stop, stop, stop. This isn’t right. The feeling isn’t right. The emotion isn’t there.” I spoke loud enough for them to hear. I wasn’t a loud person, so I hope they heard me clear enough.

“Sorry, photographer-nim, we’ll try harder.” The tallest, and from what I recall, second oldest, bowed to me and gave an apologetic smile; other girls would probably faint, but I just nodded in return.

-3rd person pov-

“Don’t try. Just feel the music. The beat of your heart should match the beat of the drums.” One boy you spotted at the corner choked while drinking water and stared at you with wide eyes. You raised a brow at him and turned back to the rest.

“Take a quick break.” With that, you spun on your heels and placed your camera down. You walked out the practice room and maneuvered yourself around the small hallway and into the restroom. Your smile disappeared and for a brief moment, it looked as if you had aged ten years. Your hand clasped the pendant around your neck and a surge of energy shot through you. You smiled and thought of him,

Whenever you don’t have enough strength to move forward, close your eyes and hold onto this. When you do, I promise I’ll be sending you my energy, no matter the distance.”

“Thank you..Minseok..”

You stared at yourself in the mirror and blinked away your tired eyes. Your hand dropped back to your side and you found yourself back in the practice room with new found motivation. You overheard someone talking on the phone but ignored him; “It’s her…I swear to god it’s her. She even said that you always told me about the drums--”

Walking back to your camera and facing the group, you smiled and asked if they were ready. They nodded yes, but waited for the baby-faced beauty on the phone. You tried engaging yourself in little conversation, but it was awkward with a couple of members. You found yourself talking to the leader again, and comforted him with what he was saying.

“There was a hyung that was supposed to be debuting with us too. We were all really close to him, especially Luhan. They were brothers you see, but an accident happened and he wasn’t able to. That’s probably why we’re not performing at the level we trained for...”

There was a distant look in his eyes and the other members nodded, listening in on the conversation. You opened up so all of them could hear and smiled lightly, “Instead of not completely being there, why don’t you give it 200%? Do you think your hyung would be happy if he found out how you guys were slacking? I had a...friend…he always told me that every time you feel down and about, you should lift your head up high and shout ‘I AM THE BEST!!!’ “ The group chuckled and felt energy flow through them as if you had recharged them. Kris placed his right hand in the center and the other members followed. By now, the boy named Luhan had returned and placed his on top; they eyed you and you blinked in confusion before rattling your brain and placing your hand in as well.

“Hana, deul, set; I AM THE BEST!!!” They erupted in laughter and went back to dancing. It was like seeing a brand new group—technically they were, but you were referring to the boys who danced half-assed earlier. You smiled brightly as you took shots of each member. For that moment, you completely forgot everything else and focused on what you loved most, photography.


After a hard day at work, you packed your things up and bid your goodbyes to everyone. They thanked you repeatedly and you just continued smiling and nodding, bowing back to the staff. Once everyone was out of the rom, you trailed behind and let out a huge sigh. Your smile had faded and reality came crashing back.

Bowing to the receptionist and making your way back home, you couldn’t help but feel as if you were being watched. You took a quick look back, but nothing and no one was in sight. Shrugging it off, you started singing a song he often sang to you over the phone.

I will be 
that angel you love inside the fairytale 
Spread up my hands 
become the wings to protect you 
You must believe 
believe that we can be like that in the fairytale 
prosperity and happiness is the ending 
Let's write our ending together (Guang Liang-Fairy Tale)

Tears formed in your eyes as you sang. Your voice was quiet and soft. You smiled through your tears, stopping in front of your doorstep.

“I miss you so much. I miss you, I miss you, I really really miss you…” You thought to yourself.

You turned to your mail box and ran to it, checking to see if there was anything. “Bills, bills, bills..nothing.” Your shoulders slumped as you dragged your feet inside.

Around the corner of your house, there he stood. He picked up his phone and dialed his number, “She’s safe, but she’s broken, Xiu…”

“Thanks Luhan.” He hung up on him and shook his head in disapproval. Luhan hated that Minseok had decided to call it quits with you just because of the accident. It’s true that for the months that Minseok was still healing, Luhan had been the one to write you those letters. Upon finding out, Minseok had told him to end it. He wanted Luhan to put an end to their online love.

 


 


-3 years ago-

“XIUBAAAOOOOO!!!”

“No hyung! I am not going to try this stupid online dating crap!! It’s just—stupid!”

“Come onnnnn!!! Live a little!”

“I think I am living quite well, thank you very much.”

“Ayy, stop being so salty, you never know who you might meet~”

“Yeah, like a troll 50 year old looking for fresh buns to prey on. Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll pass.”

“Too late. I made you an account.” Minseok glared at the older and clutched the hardboilded egg in his hand a bit too hard.

“Luhan. I’ll give you ten seconds to run.”

“But—“

“Ten.” With that, Minseok chucked the hardboiled egg to his brother and began chasing him around the house.

“That’s not fair! You said you’d count to ten!!!”

“Lifes not fair you stupid baby-faced old fart!!!”

“Yah—AHHHHHH”


 

*You have one new message*

Minseok sighed as he clicked the red notification. After a bunch of chasing and beating up Luhan for the past week, he had finally logged into the site. He read the message and raised an eyebrow.

He gave a curt reply and after a minute, there was another message.

This went on for the next two months. Minseok wouldn’t admit it, but he found himself getting excited exchanging emails and messages with this person he had just met.

They spent days and nights just talking to each other. It wasn’t until the fourth month that they had agreed on a video chat.

Minseok had playfully told her he was a 90 year old ert whereas she claimed to be a 91 year old grandma. After another round of replies, a video window popped opened and Minseok hovered over the ‘accept video chat’ button.

“It’s now or never Minseok. Let’s see what we have in store.” Little did he know, the girl on the other end was thinking the exact same thoughts.

Counting to three, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes, pressing the button. He heard a small gasp followed by a tiny giggle. Peeking through one eye, he looked at his screen and did a double take.

“You look really young to be a 90 year old ert.” She spoke in a light voice that echoed in his mind. He smiled at her and found himself staring at her natural beauty. Your long hair was set to one side and you sat there across the screen in a plain white v-neck and pajama pants.

“And you’re quite the beauty for being a 91 year old grandma.” They laughed in unison and ended up talking until the early morning. It was the start of a new beginning for the two and they were simply happy.


-present day-

Minseok sighed at the memory and stared blankly into space. He could no longer see your face except for the memory of you in his thoughts. The accident ruined his life and his career. All he wanted was to hear you and see you and have you comfort him with your sweet words, but after much thought, idiotic thoughts caused him to believe that you would hate what he had become; blind.

He knew somewhere in his mind it was stupid, but he didn’t want you to be with someone who was disabled. He felt ashamed and useless. His colorful world faded to black and all he felt now was empty. He felt water slide down his cheeks, but made no move to stop them.

“Minseok, you’re an idiot.”

“You never fail to remind me, hyung.” He gave a small smile as Luhan stood in his doorway with his arms crossed. In truth, Luhan had stood there for the past 10 minutes since arriving home and watched Minseok cry. It broke his heart to see someone he loved hurt so much and that’s when he came up with the conclusion.

The next day, Luhan was the only person in the dance room. There weren’t enough photos of Luhan so you agreed to take a few more shots of him. A few minutes later you had arrived to spot a figure sitting in the corner with his hands in his head.

You made your way to him and poked his shoulder lightly, “Lu..han-ssi…?”

“Oh!” He stood abruptly and spoke quickly. You blinked and staggered back, asking him to slow down.

A loud crash was heard as your camera broke into a few pieces. Your face contoured into anger and confusion and finally, hurt. You took a deep breath and met eyes with Luhan. He explained everything to you. From the accident to the letters to wanting to give up his sight for his younger brother, but Minseok wouldn’t allow him to—it broke you.

It hurt you that he felt ashamed to open up to you after everything you guys had been through. After what seemed like forever, you spoke with a broken voice, “Take me to him.”

“But—“

“I won’t say a word. I just..want to see him. Please.” Luhan broke his eyes away from you, he couldn’t say no. He ran a hand through his hair and led the way, you following closely behind.

The two of you stopped at the hospital; you stared at the building, frozen in your spot. You collected yourself before trudging your way inside. Luhan briefly told you what room he was in and left, explaining he had to go somewhere with s. You nodded and thanked him, giving him a quick hug and rushed your way to the elevator. You tapped your foot impatiently and bit on your nails.

The doors of the elevator opened and you made your way to the door marked 3688. Quietly, you turned the door knob and tip-toed inside. You walked to the edge of his bed and you could feel fresh new tears threatening to fall. He lay there, facing the window, eyes staring at nothing in particular.

“Nurse?”

You said nothing and only adjusted his blankets, holding back your tears.

“I’m facing the window right? I can feel the sun.” He smiled and diverted his body towards you. He sat up and patted around, searching for something. Once he found it, he clasped it tightly in his hands and gave a slight smile.

“The girl I love gave me this. Every time I feel like giving up, she gives me strength...” His voice cracked and he wiped his eye as a tear fell.

“Am I stupid for going this? For letting her go? I mean I didn’t—sorry. I’m getting carried away aren’t I?” He chuckled to himself and stretched his arms above his head.

“Do you think I would be able to get a donor soon? I really want to see her face again and be able to hear he laugh.” He tilted his head at you and reached out for what you assumed to be a hand. You placed your hand in his and he smiled.

“Thank you for listening to me…but I would like to sleep now.” With that, he let go of your hand and lay in the white bed, facing the open window. He shut his eyes and sang softly to himself,

“You said to me with full of tears 
Inside the fairytale are all lies 
I can't possibly be your prince 
Maybe you can ever understand 
You said I love you ever after 
The stars in my sky has lightened up 

I'm willing to be 
that angel you love inside the fairytale 
Spread up my hands 
become the wings to protect you 
You must believe 
believe that we can be like that in the fairytale 
prosperity and happiness is the ending…”

Any moment now, you felt as if you would collapse. The person whom you treasured the most was right in front of you. Never had you imagined your first meeting to be like this. The moment you heard him sing, it was like fireworks going off in your heart. Quickly, you ran out the room and looked for a doctor—any doctor.

Everyone shuffled around you and your world began to spin, “Doctor? Doctor? Somebody?!” You cried hysterically then and there. Your knees gave out and you buried your face in your hands. As if on cue, a doctor leisurely walked down the cold hallways when he spotted you. He rushed over quickly thinking there was something wrong, but when you spoke, he was in shock.

“Help me, please. No—help him. Let me help him..LET ME HELP HIM!!” You began hitting the doctors chest roughly crying and shouting, begging. He calmed you down after taking a few more punches and led you to his office. You asked him about a patient named Kim Minseok, and a sad smile came across his face. He explained to you that there weren’t any donors for him to receive a transplant and the possibility of his eyesight coming back on its own was close to zero percent. Without second thought, you begged the doctor over and over to be a donor.

After much plea and receiving the okay from a guardian, he agreed and ­had you signed a few papers. You requested that your name stay anonymous and thanked the doctor wholeheartedly. He gave you a genuine smile before gesturing you to Minseok’s room. You quietly stood back while the doctor approached him. He shook Minseok lightly and gave him the good news.

Your heat jumped seeing that wonderful smile across his face. You thought at this point you would be dry of tears, but they made their way out.

“Can I meet this person? I have to thank them for this.” The doctor took a glance back at you and you took slow steps forward.

“She’s right here.” The doctor placed your hand in his and you felt the warmth through Minseok’s fingers. He squeezed your hand and you could tell how grateful he was for your noble act. You smiled at him as if he could see and gave his hair a simple ruffle.

“Thank you so so so so much. This means..this really means a lot to me. I don’t know how I could ever repay you. Thank you, thank you, thank you—“

You put a finger to his lips and again, ruffled his hair. He smiled brightly at you and for a second you felt as if he was staring at you. You quickly pulled your hand back and bowed, running out the room. You leaned against the door and clutched onto the pendant around your neck once again.

“Anything for you, oppa.”

You went back inside the doctor’s office, finishing the rest of the paper work and scheduling the appointment for the surgery. You didn’t realize how much you were giving up at the time until you reached home.

Upon doing so, you felt your heart shatter. The years you spent learning how to develop film and taking photos were all disappearing. You would make the best out of your last week and ran to your attic to find your old film camera.

That week, you spent it anywhere and everywhere. You took photos of whatever caught your eyes and you would go home and spend hours developing the film.

I want you to see the world through my eyes, Minseok. I hope you understand.

You hung up your last photo and glanced around you. You had unintentionally taken photos of things you and Minseok talked about over the past couple of years. It started from your favorite flower to his favorite color. Tears fell from your eyes, but this time, they were tears of joy.


 

A day before the surgery, you had received a call from a worried Luhan. He tried to get you out of it, but you ended up hanging up on him whenever he begged. After the 6th time trying, he finally gave up and became a supporter. There was only one more thing you had to do, and you needed his help. He nodded in agreement, a smile of awe spreading across his face.

“No wonder he loves you so much.”

“Yeah, I love him that much more.”

You hung up for the last time and pulled out a sheet of paper. You began writing and you didn’t stop.


“Are you ready?”

“More than ever.”

You lay on the surgical table, lines drawn across your face. You turned your head to the side when another one strolled in. You smiled at his happy and nervous face, silently laughing to yourself as you gazed at him lovingly.

He stared up blankly at the light above him and spoke quietly, “Thanks again. I’m truly thankful for what you’re doing for someone you barely even know.”

Oh how wrong he was.


A month later, you hand finally had your bandages removed. You saw nothing but darkness, but you didn’t feel the least bit empty. A smile crossed your face and the doctor stared at you oddly.

“For someone who can’t see anymore..you sure are…happy?”

“You do crazy things when you’re in love.” You answered simply and shrugged. The doctor helped you up and the nurse came in and helped you change into normal clothes. She led you outside to a bench under a shady tree and you felt the sun hit your skin.

You were finally able to go home, but you were waiting for Luhan to help you back. He agreed to do so, and you gratefully thanked him over the phone.

When Luhan arrived, he went into Minseok’s room. He slowly entered, and spotted Minseok sitting upright, facing the window with a smile across him face.

He heard the door click and turned to face his brother. If possible, his smile grew wider and he jumped off the bed and ran to Luhan. The older caught him in a tight embrace and patted his head.

“I can see again, hyung. I can finally see. I can’t wait to talk to her again. I hope she’ll forgive me. Have you spoken to her?” He smiled up at the elder with hopeful eyes and barely missed the contorted expression on Luhan’s face. Luhan smiled and ruffled the younger’s hair and passed him a folded sheet of paper.

Minseok tilted his head, but took the paper and unfolded it. He began reading it;

I look at the sky as I think of you…looking at the stars that glow within the dark blue. How saying you’re the star in my world that glows so bright. How you are the reason why my world has light in the night. You’re the sun when it’s bright and the moon when it’s dark. You showed me how life isn’t just a walk in the park. Every little thing reminds me of you. Every little thing.. I just don’t know what to do. Maybe I don’t really know what this is could be call. What if I just didn’t understand this at all? All I know is that it hurts when we don’t talk and I smile more when we do, it’s just not an easy walk. I had a dream today, and it was you walking away. When you began to fade the colors of my world turned to gray..How broken I was to see you gone..and my sun disappearing from the dawn. How my moon vanishes from the night..and how lost I’ve become without your light..I don’t need you to be with me, I want you to be. But I do need you in my life, because you’re the light that helps me see. Every little thing you do..Just keeps on making me love you.

I-Is this from..” Luhan only nodded as he was silently talking on his phone. Minseok felt stupid for thinking it was better off you let you go. He grabbed Luhan’s arm in an instant and demanded the older to take him to you. He began dragging Luhan out but Luhan pulled back.

Minseok gave him a ‘wtf’ look and Luhan ended up dragging him in the opposite direction.

“Don’t you think you should thank your donor first?” Luhan smirked secretly.

“Oh—right!” Luhan led Minseok to the garden outside the hospital. There he spotted you with your back faced. Luhan nudged Minseok in your direction and walked backwards signaling that he was going to pull the car around front.

As Minseok made his way to you, he felt a wave of similarity around you. You heard his footsteps and smiled, looking down. You played with your finger tips and tucked a strand of hair behind your ear.

“Uhm…e-excuse me..I was the patient that received your eyes. I just wanted—“

You spun around in your seat and stared in the direction of your voice. His voice caught in his throat as images of you crossed his mind.

“B-bao..baobei?”

“Hi oppa.”


You spent every day and every night with him after that. He took care of you. Instead of seeing black, you have never felt so much color flow through you. You asked Minseok to lead you to your darkroom and asked him to flicker on the lights. He did as told and gasped at the sight. You felt for his cheeks and caressed them lovingly, leaning your forehead against his.

“I told you that I’d show you the world through my eyes.”


 

A/N: Holy this was long. LOL

-blanknova.