Heartbeat.

Xiumin Drabbles.

 

Heavy breathing filled the empty room, almost equivalent to the beat of the music. She stared at her reflection drenched in sweat as she paused. Two seconds later and her feet moved along to the sound of drums. 
 
She's been dancing non-stop for the past hour or so, ignoring the aching throughout her body. She danced away the stress and the pain of having a broken heart. The tears infused with sweat fell endlessly and she made no move to wipe them away.  A pirouette and a body wave later, she collapsed on the cold surface of the wooden floor, yanking off the necklace that meant nothing anymore. A faint smile grazed her lips as she tossed it into the bin, forgetting the memories that came with it.
 
- two years later -
 
"And 5, 6, 7, 8--" The beginner dance teacher called out, a bit of frustration evident in his voice. He watched as one student continued to stumble and bump into others after the nth time of going through the choreography. Xiumin turned to face a wall, inhaling a deep breath and slowly exhaling. He turned back towards the class with a forced smile, urging the class to stop.
 
"I think that's enough for today! You're all dismissed. Now get out!" He chided playfully, even though he meant it oh so seriously. Students groaned in protest not wanting to leave, but waved goodbye to fellow classmates. 
 
She sat in the back corner, packing her things away. She mumbled words of defeat to herself, letting out another sigh, 
 
"God damnit, Hana. Get your together--"
 
"Yes, Hana. Indeed get your together." She dropped her shoes in her bag and quickly stood up, bowing to the instructor.
 
"A-ah, yes Xiumin-nim" she gave another bow, frantically picking up her things to leave.
 
"Wait, Hana. Can I speak with you for a minute?"
 
"Uh...sure." She was quiet and stood before him, head hung low.
 
"Is the routine too difficult for you?" He raised a brow, crossing his arms.
 
"Puh-lease. This is grade school." She thought to herself--or so she thought she thought to herself.
 
"Grade school, huh? Then why is it that you seem to be the only one who can't seem to go in the right direction?" 
 
". Did I say that out loud?" She thought--
 
"Yes, you did." 
 
"Damnit." 
 
Xiumin laughed, finding her behavior a little cute. 
 
"So, if it's so easy, then why can't you get it down?"
 
"I can!" She blurted, quickly covering afterwards.
 
"I mean, I can," a little softer this time, "I just have trouble performing in front of people..." She mumbled the last bit, but it did not slip past him.
 
"Show me." He challenged.
 
"W-what?"
 
"The routine. Show me."
 
"B-but I-I-I.."
 
"What? I thought you said this was just grade school ?" He provoked, seeing a small glint in her eyes.
 
"Fine!" Her voice full of courage. Dropping her things, she brushed passed him, not forgetting to bump his shoulder slightly and stood in the middle of the dance room. 
 
"Music!" He laughed to himself at her change in attitude, 
 
He made his way to the stereo, scrolling through his playlist to find the song and quickly pressing play.
 
Once the music filled her ears, she began counting the rhythm in her head, closing her eyes, head bobbing to the beat. As if a whole new person was in front of him, Xiumin watched in awe as she hit every move perfectly, admiring the way her body swayed.
 
She was in a trance until memories started filling her mind. Her steps began to falter midway through the routine and she looked up to force the tears back. 
 
The first few mistakes went unnoticed, but Xiumin began seeing more and more of them. He took note of her expression and without thinking, he danced in sync behind her. He pressed his body close to hers, holding her hands in his and sticking his hips to match hers. 
 
She felt warmth around her and looked into her reflection. They met each others gazes and locked. She began remembering the routine once more, her body fitting into his. 
 
She glanced over her shoulder as they did a body wave, sweat dripping down their noses. Hana turned completely to face him, her own moves coming into play. Xiumin was quick to catch on and the two danced until the song finished. 
 
Silence filled the room and they stared into each others eyes. A few seconds later she broke into a big smile and leaped into his arms.
 
"Thank you." She whispered into his ear.
 
"I think I've found my cure."
 
"Cure?" He pulled away, tilting his head slightly.
 
"How to mend a broken heart."