Strangers.

Xiumin Drabbles.

 

"I'm tired of this, Minseok! Of everything! You come home when the suns coming up smelling like alcohol and cheap perfume! Did you think I wouldn't notice?! Do you think it's easy pretending that I don't?!" Tears slipped from the corner of her eyes. She roughly wiped them away with the sleeve of her shirt, but they kept spilling. 
 
"Hana..you're over reacting. I'm tired. Lets just go to bed--" hands between his head trying to lessen the headache, he groaned in irritation. 
 
"Over reacting?" She scoffed raising a brow. Her arms crossed over her chest as she took a step closer to him, voice just above a whisper, 
 
"Fine. I'm over reacting. I'm just being the jealous girlfriend I am because my boyfriend is sneaking around. Fine. It's just me over reacting." She shot him one last look before stomping off into their shared bedroom. 
 
She slipped under the covers and cried herself to sleep. Her heart aching as she felt the bed dip and his arms wrap themselves around her waist as if they never argued. She snuggled into his embrace and placed her hand over his, biting her lower lip as she cried. One last time...
 
She woke up alone, again. Something she became used to, but no matter the number of times she woke up alone, didn't make it hurt any less. She turned to face his side of their bed, tracing her fingers over the dip in his pillow. Her swollen eyes would not allow her to cry anymore. Instead she smiled. She smiled at their memories and how things used to be. She smiled at his scent that still lingered and smiled at the image of him sleeping next to her, being the first person she saw that morning. 
 
Things were different now. She couldn't pinpoint the exact moment things changed, but she assumed that things would never be the same. 
 
As usual, she made the bed, made herself breakfast, and watched a few shows by herself. The apartment was empty, but she smiled thinking of all their memories together. 
 
She passed by the wall that marked their heights, his obviously higher than her own. 
 
She stood at their bedroom door, laughing as she remembered the many pillow fights and love they spent in there.
 
She stood at their shared closet, walking in and running her hands along his many suits. She remembered how long they spent arranging the closet so the space was even, although his many suits still took up much of the small space. 
 
She reached the top of her side of the closet and pulled out her suitcase. Slowly, she started folding her clothes leaving nothing behind.
 
One by one, she gathered her belongings, making it seem as if she never moved in. How things were before she came into his life. Was she over reacting? Probably. But she knew he was growing tired of her. That twinkle in his eyes was long gone. They looked empty whenever he stared at her. His "I love you's" became scarce. 
 
She remembered the first time he pulled away from her touch. That was when she knew it wouldn't be long until he would lose interest. That was when her heart started breaking.
 
Hana tried to save whatever they had left, but her actions went unnoticed. Was she over reacting still? Probably. But if he wouldn't try anymore, than neither will she.
 
If he was testing her limits, than he exceeded. 
 
She scribbled a quick note and stuck it on the bedside table, taking one last look at everything. She placed her set of keys next to it and walked off, never to turn back.
 
He came home partially sober. He had taken a drink or two with a few co-workers, but nothing to extreme. He stumbled inside, calling out her name. Usually she would come rushing to his side, a glass of water and aspirin in her hands, ready for him. But this time, he was greeted with silence.
 
"Hana! I'm home!" Still no reply. Maybe she's sleeping. He thought as he glanced at his watch that read 2:30AM.
 
Kicking his shoes off, he made it to their bedroom, only to see it empty. 
 
He began searching the entire house, calling her name, the worry in his voice becoming more and more evident. 
 
It was then he realized the state of his apartment. Every photo of them was replaced with a photo of him by himself. Her shoes no longer were lined perfectly, but replaced with his. He dashed towards the closet only to find his suits evenly spaced, no trace of her. 
 
He sunk down on his bed, hands in his lap. He held the note in his hand and let out a short, stoic laugh. 
 
"Am I still over reacting?" 
 
He went to bed cold. He woke up colder. His feelings jumbled. Was this what he really wanted? 
 
No.
 
But days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. It's been five months since she went away. Left without a word and nothing to say. He could only regret. 
 
He reminisced about her daily. Coincidently, he passed by the only trace that she was real, the markings on the wall that measured their heights. His smile was filled with sadness as he recalled the memory.
 
"What happened to us, Hana? What happened to me?"
 
He tried contacting friends and her relatives, but they were all mum of her whereabouts. He could hear the coldness in their voice when he asked about her, but who would blame them? They had every right to.
 
Two years passed and he bumped into a friend of hers. He asked about her and could only feel his heart break with the answer.
 
"She's happy with her life right now. Has a good job and a really good husband. Let her go, Minseok."
 
"I still love her--"
 
"You don't hurt the person you love." She walked away and Minseok held his head low. 
 
"What if we were wrong about each other?" He whispered to no one in particular. 
 
He tried to move on, but it became useless. 
 
He would go to bed cold and wake up colder. The warmth in his life was gone and it was too late for him to realize.
 
He parked in the half empty parking lot of the grocery store and slumped inside. He filled his cart with ramen and microwaveable food. As he lined up t the only open cashier, he heard a familiar voice. 
 
He turned his head and locked eyes with her. Her smile brighter than ever. A smile played on his lips but disappeared as quickly as it came. She linked arms with another man who held a beautiful baby girl in his arms.
 
She was truly happy with her life now. What if it was him? What if that was their daughter? But it was too late for what if's. 
 
They locked eyes once more and shock was evident in hers. He gave her a small smile and she returned it, but without a word, he walked passed her like they were strangers. 
 
That's all they were, really.