002 - My Best Friend

Annoyed

 

-D.O POV-

My brother wasn’t the only one who seemed to fail me.

My best friend, Sehun, seemed to be as well. Is being stupid and hopeless a new trend?

Unlike my brother, he was actually smart. Except he was too smart, too alert. He knew everything; about what people said and all. He knew that homouality wasn’t taken very lightly in Korea, that’s why he always had to be careful. Not to be bold, not to raise his voice an octave higher, not to go around touching every boy on their arm.

Sehun had unfortunately been born in this world with a lisp. It was cute at first, but then soon became a major teasing subject. Sehun probably wouldn’t have been able to make it through the first year if it wasn’t for Luhan, our dear sunbae. He was the first one to stand up for Sehun and I appreciated him for that. Sehun must’ve too, because the silly boy fell in love with him. Cliché right?

But Sehun was too aware of what was going on and knew what was socially right and wrong. I was always watching nearby, waiting for Sehun to just pop out of nowhere and reveal himself in all his glory. That moment didn’t come.

“Sehun, would you like me to help you with that?” Luhan asked as he ran to catch up with Sehun, who was holding a big pile of maths books.

“Thanks, sunbae. I appreciate it.” Sehun replied.

“Thankth thunbae! I apprethiate it!” boys laughed as they walked passed. Once their backs were turned around, Luhan pulled the finger at them and soon all the teasing from before was forgotten. I watched closely at Sehun. My eyes took in all his actions; his eyes forever glancing at Luhan’s face, how Sehun seemed to edge himself closer, how Sehun would smile whenever Luhan’s name was mentioned. All the signs were there.

 

“What’s wrong, Sehun?” I asked the boy when he slumped against the cafeteria table.

“Nothing.”

“Is it about Luhan?”

“Uh…n-no.”

“Do you need dating tips?”

“Oh my God, D.O! I don’t want to date the guy! We’re both guys!”

“So is my brother and his boyfriend.” I exaggerated on ‘boyfriend’.

“How did you even come to this conclusion?”

“It’s easy to see through you, Sehun. You. Like. Luhan.”

“Well I hope he does.” A voice interrupted. Sehun went bright red and looked away. Luhan sat next to Sehun and patted his head.

“D.O only meant it as a friendly thing.” Sehun replied and gave me a dirty look.

 

“Why won’t you say anything?” I asked Sehun a few weeks later. By then, Sehun had come to grips with how he felt and was beginning to feel the full force of forbidden love. It was exciting.

“Did we fight or something?” Sehun asked as he put down his book.

“No, I meant like, why aren’t you telling Luhan that you like him?”

“As if I’d tell him that.”

“Don’t be that way, Sehun. Just tell the guy how you feel.”

“The chances of him accepting me are very low, D.O.”

“Why?”

“Because he is most likely straight.”

“Everyone I know is gay, Sehun.”

“Intense.” Sehun sighed and put down the book. “What do you expect me to do? Society isn’t accepting of people like me.”

“Have a bit of faith, Sehun.”

 

Sehun didn’t tell Luhan anything. He was just a boy, frightened and lost, trying to find a way how to get society to understand him, when he was still trying to understand himself. From my point of view, I seemed to be the only sane one.

“Could you please take this to Room 202. Kai needs his test results back.” Luhan gave me a pile of paper.

“Sure.” I said resentfully. I didn’t hate Kai, just wondered why he was so lucky. I’m being greedy and going off topic.

“I’ll come with you if you want.” Sehun said, suddenly appearing.

“Why, you want to date Kai?” I asked Sehun with a wink. Sehun went bright red and Luhan’s eyes bulged out. Then Sehun slapped his hand on top of my mouth and gave a weird grin.

“Well, uh…you kids have fun.” Luhan coughed a bit before running off.

“You see that, Sehun?”

“See what?”

“Your opportunity running away.”

“Yah! I’m not telling him!”

“Why not?!”

“You know why. Now, excuse me, I have to go.” Sehun pouted and then walked off. I sighed after my friend. He was hopeless. Just like my brother. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think!