Chapter 2

One Day

 

Seunghyun

4th May 2002

“Seunghyun-ah, can I ask for a favor?” I heard mom’s voice screaming from the kitchen, but I act like I didn’t hear them. I was too immersed in this chapter of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s ‘The Great Gatsby’. I was never aware of classic novels, and I’m only reading out this one for the sake of my English finals. I don’t get it though, half of my classmates can’t even speak one sentence in English, yet Madam Lee, our obnoxious and thoughtless English teacher is forcing us to read such a complicated piece.

After a few rounds of calling out my name, I decided to jump out of my chair, and fold the corner of the page I was reading to make a mark. I walked to the door in a slump way, opened my bedroom door, just enough to pop my head out. “What Mom?” “Ya! Get your stuff ready, we’re going to Seoul for a while.” Seoul? What business do we have there?

Just the sound of the name ‘Seoul’ sounded cool then. Well, it is the most modernized city in Korea, the city of youth and dreams. Call me weird, but all my friends know I was never fond of Seoul. In fact, I was never fond of any other city, other than Busan.

I was born and raised in Busan, I’m even planning to get into the university in Busan and work in Busan. Possibly get married and die here too. “Yo Choi, even the name ‘Busan’ makes me weak. Don’t you want to go out of this rotting place? Go somewhere cool, somewhere like Seoul, or Tokyo or Paris.” That was what my classmate, Youngbae used to say to me every time I decline to join them on trips to Seoul. Even so, I can’t imagine myself living somewhere else other than Busan.

I quickly ran downstairs to the kitchen and ask what my mom was doing. “Seunghyun, your Aunt Mi-sook is sick and her husband is in London, so we need to stay there for a day. Tomorrow is Children’s Day right? So you don’t have any school. Your hyung can take care of the house, you come follow me to Seoul.” “Seriously, do I have to?” “If I have other choice I wouldn’t waste my time asking you, come on, pack your stuff, your dad is coming from his office to send us to Seoul.”

I let out a long sigh before going back to my room. . I was planning to go off for the launch of the new Final Fantasy game with Youngbae and Dongwook, now look what happened to that plan. Out of all days, Aunt Mi-sook got into the hospital just the day before Children’s Day, another wasted holiday. What am I going to do in Seoul anyways? Mom is going to be in the hospital ward all day, so what am I going to do? Sit around and play Gameboy? If I have one.

I brought down my black nike backpack from the top of my wardrobe and start filling them with shirts and undergarments for an overnight stay. I also brought ‘The Great Gatsby’ with me. Just in case.

. . .

 

It was already 9PM when we arrived in Seoul. The weather looks nice but not as nice as Busan’s. I was used with Busan’s skyline, the one with the gorgeous view of the stars and earth’s natural satellite; the moon. In Seoul, I can only see lights of aircrafts and little squares of yellow from tall buildings, giving a clue about office workers working into the night to earn money. It was really cool seeing some place different than the one I wake up every day to. Makes me wonder how people here lived among these buildings, where do they have their dates, or play football. Not a patch of playground was seen. There were only buildings, looking tall as if they were in a competition on who was the fastest to reach the sky, and roads, endless roads.

Mom settled in Aunt Mi-sook’s ward. Her ward was as big as my parent’s bedroom back home. Not surprised for a fact that Aunt Mi-Sook’s husband is an uprising businessman. A man with great ambition, possibly greater than the love for his wife but at least she gets a VIP hospital ward.

“Hyun, here’s some dollars. The hospital won’t allow male companions in here so you have to find yourself somewhere to spend the night.” Dad said, simultaneously handing out a couple of bucks, just enough for an overnight expenditure but not enough to rent a hotel. “Dad, you’re serious? Why did Mom bring me all the way here if I have no place to sleep?” “So that tomorrow, you can go back home with her. She doesn’t know the way back. If you’re here, at least she won’t get lost alone,” both of us paused. “Plus, why didn’t you say anything about the money?” I looked at the thin stash of money I gripped. “Oh, yeah, I think it’s not enough for me to rent out a room.” “Yep, that’s because I’ve already booked you a room and paid for it. That is extra money, the hotel is just a five minutes walking distance away from central Myungdeong. Children’s Day present. Have fun, but don’t drink. Go shop some S.E.S album or get some new clothes, or something.” I smiled at him and thanked.

He leaves in our old Sonata, back to Busan. I hope he drives faster than he usually does, if not, he’ll be home just 30 minutes before his office hours starts.

The hotel was not as far as I thought it would be, exactly 10 minutes away from the hospital, as stated on the hotel’s brochure. It was actually just a budget hotel, good enough to spend the night. Myungdeong was as full as someone’s funeral back in Busan. People looked so busy and energetic despite it was nearly midnight. After checking in the room and leaving my backpack there, I rushed to the streets with the money Dad had given me earlier.

I went to a street vendor for a quick supper and had hot deokbukgi and double the amount of fishcakes. It was the most scrumptious supper I ever had in a long time. The most remembered supper I had was when my parents took me to this street vendor along the way to Busan. It was pitch black yet I know we were by the sea when I hear the seawater gush. We had a cold sashimi and hot tea while my mom had a cold rice wine. My dad who was carrying my two year old sister in his lap warms himself with hot ramyun that has abundant of fishcake that drowns the ramyun noodle itself.

After a round of window shopping in the busy streets of Myungdong, I felt the urge to go back to my room and sleep. If only finding the way was as easy as coming here. I had totally forgotten the way. Even so I just walked in hopes that I’ll find the hotel somehow but it was not long when I realized that I’m going around in circles. Every building looks the same. Fancy headers and signboards that actually seems hard to recognize and remember, vendors basically selling the same stuff and roads which looked exactly the same. I’m practically lost.

I kept on walking, and trying to find a way to go back to the hospital, at least from there, I can find my way back to the hotel easier than going in circles as right now. I was walking and at the same time looking upwards to the tall buildings, looking for signs of the hospital. There it is! Dongguk Hospital. I thanked lord that I can go back safely now. I continued to walk and stare at the signboard of the hospital to not lose track of it. The signboard looked larger and I know I was getting closer. Closer and closer. Then I think I hit someone.

The next thing I knew, I knocked down a girl. I should have focused on passersby as well, but this girl would have notice me if she walked carefully, I was walking really slowly, it was impossible for her to not notice me. I saw the girl on the ground, and sudden feeling of guiltiness came towards me. I couldn’t see the girls face because of her long hair covering up her face up front. She was wearing a school uniform. What was a high school girl doing here late at night?

“I am VERY sorry, I’m so sorry. Are you ok Miss? Are you hurt anywhere? Miss? I’m so sorry.” No respond. I reached out my hand slowly and try to poke her to see her respond but as my index finger were just centimeters away from her shoulder, she stood up as fast as she could and bow down to see her knee. Face still covered with her long bangs, I looked at the same spot as she was. Blood was flowing from her knee and made a red mark on her knee-high stockings. “Miss I am SO sorry. I’m from Busan and I didn’t know the way back to the hotel and, oh god, I am so sorry. We should go find a pharmacy or a clinic, your knee is bleeding and…” she looked straight at my face bewildered. Then I realized that I was talking in a Busan accent. At the same time, I finally saw her face. Small face, dumpling-like cheeks and eyes that were the size of a plump. Her style, as what Dongwook would say, very ‘kawaii’.

Despite her beautiful features, her stare was as blank as a paper, she doesn’t look like she’s screaming of pain or demanding an apology. She was staring at me but it looked as if she was staring to nowhere. Then she looked back down at her bloody knee. Was my accent really thick? I cleared my throat as if it’s a remote to change my accent, “Miss, I’m sorry. Can I help you, you’re bleeding.” “Oh, bleeding.” She said it like she had only realized she was bleeding. “Yes, if you can show me the way to the pharmacy, I’ll pay for the treatment.” She gave me the same stare and later pointed me to the hospital. Well, I was heading out there anyways so sending her to that hospital was not a bit annoyance for me.

She was limping along the way to the hospital. I stopped her and took her arms to be around my shoulder. She gave me the blank stare again then continued to limp. “I’m not a bad guy, don’t worry.” I said as we continued our way to the hospital.  “I’m not.” Answered the girl.

I had never thought my Children’s Day money present was spent on treating this blank girl that I knocked into. I closed my eyes thinking of every possible thing I could’ve bought with that money.

I was waiting for the hospital clerk to finish up the payment with the girl sitting right beside me. I took a glance at the girl but she looked straight up. She was in front of a wall but her gaze looked as if she was looking at nothingness. It was all silence since the hospital was closed. Only the emergency section was open, with one clerk and one nurse behind the receptions.

“I’ve never met a Busan man.” The girl suddenly broke the silence. “Excuse me?” “I’ve never been out of Seoul.” “Oh, that, well, it has been years since the last time I went out of Busan too.” “Is Busan nice?” “If you’re into beaches and bad odor of drying fish, yep.” “Should’ve brought Mom there. She likes beaches.” She said, half-murmuring her words. “You should come and bring her. I’ll show the way around if you like.” No. I’ll never show a stranger around, but just said those words to continue the conversation. “She’s maybe there right now. Leaving to Busan without me.” I couldn’t understand her words right there. Either she’s a lunatic, or she’s drunk. “Happy Children’s Day.” I stared at her, surprised at her random sentences. “You too.” “Not happy for me though. No presents.” I just nodded.

“Sir, your receipt is ready.” Both of us looked towards the short clerk behind the reception. She was only tall enough for us to see her head pop from behind the tall reception counter. I walked towards the counter and reached for the receipt. “Sign here Sir, thank you.” I signed and offer my hands to the girl and she immediately took it.

We were outside of the hospital and I was ready to call a cab for her and check how much money I have left. Nice, ten dollars. “Miss shall I call you a cab?” “Don’t.” “Is your house near this area? Should I send you to your house? It’s quite dangerous to let you go alone, especially at this hour and I’ve heard so many bad things about the crimes in Seoul. “I don’t have a home.”

I was out of words. “Oh, then, where are you staying?” “Ajussi, where are you staying?” “Uh, me?” she nodded to answer my question. “I’m, uh, in that hotel.” I pointed to the little two story shop lots with the sign ‘Budget Hotel’ in neon lights. “Bring me with you? I’ll pay for the room. “Uh, I’m sorry, but you’re a girl and if my mom knows about this then I’m dead because she’ll think I’ll do something bad with girls.” “Are you going to do something bad?” “No, I mean.” “You have ten dollars in your pocket right? Is that enough? I’ll pay for the accommodation.” “My dad had already paid for my room, and yes, these ten dollars will do. If not, I can ask my mom for some money, she’s staying at the hospital, taking care of my aunt I’m…” the girl suddenly buries her face on my chest, and started to sob.

I was frozen with nothing to say, and my body doesn’t seem to react. I try hard not to think that this is some kind of fraud Seoul girls are doing. The tears seems sincere and it, if this is a fraud, she wouldn’t look into a guy with ten dollars in his pocket.

We stood there with me, motionless, as she cried her lungs out.