Chapter Two: I Saw You Again.

To The Moon

 

A year had passed and Chanhee hadn't forgotten about his mystery boy for a single minute. Luckily it was that time again and the carnival took it's place as usual, with the coconut shy, the fortune teller and that tiny ferris wheel. It carried on as normal until about 8:00pm when Chanhee asked his mother again "Can I go to the playground, ma?" In an aegyo voice for extra effect. She crossed her arms and glared, Chan blinked up at her, she gave in "Fine, but do NOT wander off on me this time! Do you hear me?" With crossed fingers behind his back he replied "I won't." And sprinted away.

"Kekeke" he giggled as he got closer and closer to the hill where he would ask the small boy out on a date. He had informed Daniel about his plan beforehand and he supported the idea, "Good luck Chan-hyung!" Dan shouted as he passed him in the playground, "thanks bro!" Chan panted and continued. Daniel crossed his arms and gave a triumphant 'humph', "the way he spoke about that boy... It must be love, just like how ma talks about father." Daniel reflected. Then looked away and got back to the playground.

Chan's heart raced, skipped and fluttered in his rib cage. While he was nearing the top of the hill, he saw no trace of the angelic boy he had seen the year before. "Aish, I hope he comes" Chan grumbled as he stared at the movie tickets in his hand. Ages past and Chan was actually fast asleep on the log where he had first caught glimpse of the boy, he had no idea of the time. Couldn't care less. He would wait for his mystery boy until the following day. In fact, it was currently 10:00pm (the latest he had been out all year) and he sighed to himself, feeling the sharp stabs of disappointment at his aching heart. He looked at the movie tickets and then back up at the sky.

"Guess he's not coming this year..." He huffed and blew into the frosty night air. "Who's not coming" the angelic voice startled Chan, who shot his gaze to the side and saw his mystery boy standing there in a big yellow coat that made him look even tinier and his pristine, glossy blonde hair glowing in the gracious moonlight. "It's you!" Chan shouted as the biggest and brightest smile covered his face. "Yes." Byung chuckled at the taller boy. Chan bit his lip and threw himself onto the boy and squeezed him, oblivious to how silly he looked. Byung's eyes had widened to their full capacity and his cheeks were a marshmallow shade of pink, he slowly rested his hands on Chanhee's back and closed his eyes. "No one ever hugs me..." Byung whispered into Chan's chest. "Well... From now on, I will hug you everyday!" Chan declared as he held onto the boy's shoulders and ended the hug, "but I don't see you everyday." Byung stated. Chan twirled the movie tickets around between his fingers and whipped them out from behind his back and wafted them in front of Byung's face. "Will you come see a movie with me? If you do, I promise we'll see eachother everyday from then onwards. Agreed?" Chan declared, "Okay Chanhee, I will hold you to that!" Byung chuckled.

A couple of silent minutes passed while the two gazed up at the sky in wonderment, Chan stared at Byung and was entranced by the way the moonlight danced off his face and the sheer amazement in his eyes. Chan wondered how he didn’t know the name of a boy this perfect. "Will you tell me your name? I promise of my 10 fingers and 10 toes that I won't laugh at you!" Chan asked as he smiled even more, Byung scanned the seemingly trustworthy figure before him "my name is Lee Byunghun. Go ahead, call me Byeongari." Byung sighed sarcastically. "Why would I? That's the cutest, most adorable name I've ever heard!" Chan's smile got ridiculous and the younger boy couldn't help but laugh at him. "You're so stupid!" He chuckled as Chan stuck his tongue out to the smaller boy. Chan's eye was drawn to the strange soft animal Byung was carrying in his left hand like a child, "is that the beaver-duck?" Chan asked in confusion. Byung drew his gaze down to it and back up to Chan "mhmm, I kept it of course. It's special... Just like y-" he was interrupted by a shouting in the distance.

"Chanhee! Chan-hyung, ma's calling!" Daniel shouted from the bottom of the hill. Chan's heart broke into little pieces right then, having to leave this boy for a second time in his life felt terrible. "I will see you on Saturday, the movie is at 5:00pm!" Chan giggled as he pulled the boy into one final hug and ran away. Byung felt as if the boy took his thumping heart away with him as the hug ended and he drifted out of his sight. "...just like you. It's special like you Chanhee." He whispered after him. Chan trotted down to his brother and stop dead before him, his younger brother was holding his arm out with his hand perfectly straight “Daniel-hyung?” Chan questioned the boy. “How did it go Chan-hyung!?” he whispered in reply, smiling madly Chan tapped his nose with his finger a couple of times.

The two walked back together, with the younger boy pulling on his older brother to tell him how it went. “CHAN-HYUNG! I’ll tell ma you wandered off!” Daniel threatened, with a pout. Chan hushed him, putting a finger over his mouth and whispered “Okay, okay... He said yes!” Daniel’s grin morphed into a great smile, almost in time with Chanhee’s. There umma was fast approaching but Daniel still congratulated him “That’s awesome dude!” and they continued on their way to meet their umma. They got in the car and made their way home. Chan stared out of the window and let himself be free with his thoughts ‘6 days till I can see him everyday... Lee Byunghun...’ he let out a sigh and began to dread school tomorrow.

See the carnival was held at the start of every school year so naturally school was the very next day, though this year was finally the start of highschool for Chanhee. So he was excited, scared and curious all in one. When the car finally pulled up into the driveway of their humble detached home, Chan jumped out and ran straight to his bedroom. Leaving umma and Daniel gawping in confusion. Chan jumped on his bed, wriggled off his clothes and slipped some pajamas on, shut his eyes tight as he could and hid under the cover. Six days. He thought about Saturday until he fell asleep.

 

~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~


Monday morning came around and sunlight trickled into Chan’s room, gently waking him at a perfect 8:00 am. Chan slowly sat up to see his younger brother running around in his middle school uniform and a cute little hat, “Morning Chan-hyung!” Daniel chorused, eager and ready for middle school. “Morning!” Chan replied as he jumped out of bed and quickly changed into his brand new high school attire, grabbed his new satchel and made his way to the dining room. “What’s for breakfast ma!” he asked as his little brother came running along behind him.

They all sat down as Chan inhaled his breakfast and ran out of the door. The bus was just on it’s way, he waved his arm out towards it and it stopped before him. He bowed as he got on and politely said “Kamsahamnida.” and made his way onto the bus. His eyes grew to the size of saucers when he noticed the bright blonde hair of the boy he had met on that fateful night, his mouth was wide open and he looked as gormless as someone could. Then of course came a classic Chanhee smile. The boy’s head was downward facing and he looked as if he was reading something. Sat alone. Chan instantly hobbled over to him and timidly sat down, the boy didn’t even flinch, he was fast asleep. “H-Hey... Lee Byunghun. You best wake up we’ll be at school soon.” Chan muttered as he poked the boy’s arm.

Byung wriggled and slowly brought his head up and squinted at Chan, who launched himself on the boy for a hug “You go to my school.” he giggled, ecstatic about this. Byung looked at him in amazement and hugged him back, almost falling asleep in his embrace.