The dance

Masquerade

 

Baekhyun tried to get out of it as Chanyeol pulled him through the sea of people. His light brown, poodle haired friend ignoring his protests. He brought his hand up to fix the mask that felt like it was about to fall off his face. “Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whined without any care for the formal surroundings, “We’re already here so why are you still dragging me along.”

The taller boy stopped and turned to look at his shorter friend with a manic smile on his face, “Because once I let you go you’ll make a run for it.” How did he know? The look on his face must have told his thoughts because the poodle was now laughing at him, “See, I know you.” He turned around and pulled Baekhyun once more, only stopping when they reached the buffet table.

Baekhyun watched as his friends eyes scanned the crowd, his manic smile disappearing only to be replaced by a sweet smile that was only reserved for one person. Baekhyun looked but he couldn’t see over the see of people so he couldn’t find the person his friend had found. He looked up at Chanyeol and noticed the other looking between him and the crowd, trying to decide what was best to do. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “Go get him, I know he’s the only reason we’re here.”

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun with the biggest smile that made his eye twitch just slightly, “Really?!” Baekhyun nodded, “You stay right here, you’re not allowed to leave without me.” With that Chanyeol was already gone in the crowd. Of course I can't leave without you, we drove here together in your car.

Baekhyun looked around and waited patiently for Chanyeol to come back to his side but after almost twenty minutes passed he figured that the other had already forgotten his words. That the other was too caught up with his all important person to remember that he dragged Baekhyun here. He let out a sigh as he grabbed some punch and moved away from the buffet out to the balcony that he noticed earlier when Chanyeol was dragging him along.

He adjusted the mask on his face before he leaned on the balcony railing. He turned his eyes up towards the dark sky with a sigh, his punch held forgotten in his hands. He let out another sigh as he started counting the stars in the night sky.

“You know they say each time you sigh that’s happiness floating away.” Baekhyun almost jumped out of his skin at the new voice. He turned to see a man in a mask with a smirk playing on his plump lips. He watched the man as he moved closer, taking up the empty space next to Baekhyun on the balcony.

“Is there something to be happy about?” Baekhyun turned back around and returned to his previous position before he was startled, “I was dragged here and then forgotten.”

“By that human poodle? Is he your boyfriend?”

“I guess he does look like a human poodle,” Baekhyun mused not really paying attention to how personal the second question was, “He dragged me here so he could see his boyfriend without his parents finding out and then just abandoned me by the punch bowl, such a good friend isn’t he?” Baekhyun turned towards the stranger with a soft smile on his face.

“So you’re like the scapegoat?” Baekhyun laughed at the question, it wasn’t really funny but he just felt like laughing.

“I guess that’s what I am…I’m the happy virus’ scapegoat.”

“Why don’t you just tell the father?”

“I couldn’t do that,” Baekhyun shook his head as he took a sip of his punch, “He’s helped me a lot through the years, I will do whatever I can to pay him back.”

He looked over to see the other man nod before changing the subject, “Why is the human poodle a happy virus?”

“Since you’re calling him a human poodle you obviously say him today right?”

“He was kind of hard to miss.” Baekhyun smiled at that before turning his full attention towards the other.

“That’s why he’s the happy virus.” Baekhyun took another sip of his drink, “He can’t be ignored or looked over because he has so much happiness radiating off of him at all times, sometimes it becomes a bit annoying.”

“Sounds like you love him.” Baekhyun looked at the other boy with a cocked eyebrow, he could’ve sworn he heard a bit of sadness in his tone but he pushed it away. It was their first meeting, he was just hearing things.

“Is it weird to love my best friend?” Baekhyun could’ve sworn he saw an expression of shock pass through his eyes before pushing away the thought, “I mean none of my feelings are romantic but I love him as a best friend.” He turned away from the stranger and turned his eyes back up towards the stars.

“There you are!” Both males turned around at the new voice and Baekhyun smiled a little bit at the frown his friend wore, “I thought you left me!”

“How am I supposed to leave if you have the keys to the car.” He watched as Chanyeol’s expression changed twenty times before settling on a sheepish grin.

“Oh…that’s right,” he said as he scratched the back of his head.

“Looks like you weren’t forgotten afterall.” Baekhyun turned towards the man next to him and smiled.

“I guess I wasn’t.” He wasn’t expecting the man to move forward and give him a rather chaste kiss on the lips before moving his lips over to his ear and whispering a few words before smirking and walking off. Baekhyun just stood there in complete shock, staring after the male that had already disappeared back into the masquerade party. He didn’t even realize Chanyeol was waving his hand in front of his face until the taller boy lightly flicked him on the nose. He snapped out of his daze and looked up to meet the worried eyes of his friend.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Baekhyun said, his voice barely above a whisper, “I’m just in a bit of a shock.”

“Why?” Chanyeol had his head tipped slightly to the side as he asked the question.

“He knew who I was…but I couldn’t recognize him.” Chanyeol’s eyes went a bit wide before he grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist and pulled him along.

“Let’s call it a day.” The taller boy pulled his dazed friend out of the party and towards the car. Once in the car Baekhyun pulled off his mask and threw it in the back seat. The stranger’s words were still echoing in his head. Why don't you realize I'm by your side? He thought back to the man’s features and tried to think of someone he knew with the same looks.

“His eyes looked familiar.” Chanyeol didn’t even ask what his friend was talking about as he started the car and they headed towards their shared apartment.