Marriage

First Love

 

They finally met eight decent years later in 1960. It was more than enough time for them to forget about each other. Minho got engaged to one of the finest ladies in town; beautiful, elegant and wealthy. He loved her of course, for he had never taken relationships like child’s play.

Taemin on the other hand wasn’t ready for commitments. He was 24, working in the largest media company throughout the entire nation. Many women caught his eyes, but never made their way to his heart. However, he wasn’t waiting for anyone anymore. He gave up searching and saving himself from the horrendous disappointment.

Write to me? I haven’t heard from you since you left.

Wait for me? I returned but you weren’t there.

Taemin grew to hate Minho until that day he received a report. It was Spring when he had to write an article about the marriage of a man and women he recognized; both of them were his ex-lovers, one whom he hate but could not forget, while the other was who he adored but never quite remember.

“So… Minho is getting married to your ex-girlfriend?”

Kibum chuckled over dessert.

“My friend is getting married and I have no idea?”

“Please kill me.” Taemin whined and ruffled his hair in frustration. “So….I have to meet Minho, that jerk and asked him if he was happy?”

“I think it’s etiquette for a journalist to uphold his job with professionalism, don’t you think?” Jonghyun cut the steak and swirled his wine, “Unless you still like him.”

“Unless I still hate him.” Taemin corrected.

“Just do it! It’s no harm making that dear friend of mine regret.”

“If you say so.”

Taemin sighed and packed his writing materials in a leather barrier. Unlike Minho and him, his cousin’s relationship worked out well. They accomplished many things he wished to do and led the lives Taemin once yearned for.

He drove to the country club the very next day and recognized them across the café almost immediately. Minho, 26 then, looked astonished at the sight of Taemin. The lady reached out her arm for a handshake.

“Very nice to meet you Taemin.”

“Congratulations, Mrs Choi.” He smiled and greeted Minho as well, “It’s been a long time, Minho.”

“Oh, you two know each other?”

“Yes, my dear.” Minho answered his fiancée, making Taemin scoffed. Dear? What dear? “We met each other almost eight years ago in our hometown.”

“Yes, but I supposed we shall get down to business.”

The journalist sat down and flipped opened his notebook to an empty page.

“So Mrs Choi, I heard you would be getting one of their properties.”

“Yes, but that’s not the reason for marriage.”

“I understand because I learnt that you rejected the inheritance.”

Minho nodded and locked his eyes with him.

“You know I would choose pride over many things.”

The scene of him taking off his clothes at the carnival crossed his mind and it made him sniggered. You know Minho, you should consider getting a face lift before that moment was pretty… memorable. Taemin thought.

“Yea you sure do. Now, forgive me for such an absurd question.” It was a question that wasn’t written down by his employer. “But have you been in a relationship before Mrs Choi?”

You are trying to kill me, aren’t you? Minho thought and nodded his head.

“Yes, I have. But she was the one I chose.”

“Definitely.”

“What about you, Mrs Choi?”

“You know it, Taemin.” She hissed and looked at his notebook, “I supposed you would not be writing that down.”

“No, I will not. I apologize for that.”

Taemin nibbled on his fountain pen with his front teeth and asked another question.

“So, any other plans after marriage? Like having children, or taking over businesses…”

“Yes of course.” Mrs. Choi replied, “Definitely, a child or two.”

She pecked Minho on his cheek and smiled affectionately.

“I will be taking over some business, but we have not come to any agreement for a particular one. “

Taemin nodded his head and asked a few more redundant questions before closing his notebook. It pissed him off a little when he saw how happy they were together because he obviously wasn’t. Taemin had never been a joyous person after Minho left that winter. It was selfish for him but he wished that they could meet with the same fate as he did.

“Thank you so much Mr. and Mrs. Choi. I wish you a happy marriage.”

“Will you come down two weeks later for our dinner?” Mrs. Choi asked with a sweet smile and Taemin nodded his head.

“Well, if you send me an invitation. I would be more than happy to attend my friends’ wedding.”

He did himself proud at least. Taemin managed to keep himself calm and professional throughout the one hour session with them. As he left the café, Minho called out his name and he shuddered.

“Taemin.” He turned to his wife and patted her lower back gently, “I want to catch up with my old friend. You can do some shopping or return home first.”

“Oh yes sure Minho.” She gave him a peck again and left the café first.

“Let’s talk Taemin.”

“Oh yes… yes sure.” Taemin walked back to his seat and left the leather carrier on his lap.

“How are you?”

Minho asked him while signalling for a fresh cup of coffee.

“Fine… I left for a private institution and studied Journaling.” Taemin wiggled in his seat.

“I worked and got enough money for college. I did art.” Minho bit his lower lip and continued, “I am going back home to clear what’s left. Do you want to go back with me? You can visit your parents.”

He wasn’t sure about that, but going home to meet his parents would be a pleasant idea. Taemin agreed without thinking twice and regretted after a split second. He went home whining to his guests again, feeling helpless and stupid.

“I can’t believe I agreed to it.”

“It’s not a bad idea. He’s getting married; you’re not as stupid right now so everything is going to be fine.” Kibum retorted.

“You aren’t really happy with the whole marriage idea, are you?” Jonghyun raised his eyebrow.

“No I am not. I am partially sadist and I want them to suffer as much as I do.”

Seeing them being all happy and mushy made Taemin furious.

“More like, you want them to be as masochistic as you are. Come on, he let go so you should too. Why are you drowning yourself into so much misery?”

“Because I like it.”

“Then serve you right, cousin.” Kibum replied. Yes, served him right.