super genes

to my heart he carries the key

title: super genes

pairing: kai/krystal

words: 670

summary: Because Soojung, with her heaven-sent strength and super genes, is too wrecked to bring herself together.


 

“That’s disgusting.”

Soojung was halfway down to slicing her hand when she saw Jongin making his way towards her. He shook his head as he sat in front of her and frowned. Soojung did not even wince when he pulled the knife lodged diagonally on her palm and threw it away with a clang. “You should stop doing that.” Taking a handkerchief out, he took her wounded hand and started to wipe the blood away from it. Her blood had started to dry underneath her nails. Jongin clucked his tongue disapprovingly. He knew it would be difficult to rid of the stains once it had dried. “It’s unbecoming.”

She shrugged, prying her hand from his grip. “Doesn’t matter. Can’t feel it anyways.”

“You shouldn’t abuse your gifts, Soojung. Use it for the good.” And as he said it, he could feel the roll of her eyes but her quivering voice betrayed whatever sarcasm she wanted to portray. She retrieved her hands from his hold and stared at them. Jongin wondered what was running through her mind, if she was thinking how to wash the dried blood, if she was blaming herself.

“Already did remember? It was no help at all. Just made things worse.” Her hands closed into a fist until it shook and he had to hold them down once more to calm her. Even when her hands were enveloped in his, it still trembled. Jongin was slightly concerned.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. It wasn’t your fault.”

Soojung finally raised her head. The atmosphere around them tensed as she stood and towered over Jongin. Her eyes washed red. She had crossed her arms around her chest and glared at Jongin, though he fully knew she was not mad at him. “If not mine, then whose? Tell me, Jongin, since you’re so bent on proving not everything works the way you would want it.”

“You had no control over that. He—“

“—was five for God’s sake! He was too young to die and I—I just watched him die,” for a while, the fire in her eyes went away, only to be replaced by the sudden hazy and forlorn thoughts of tonight’s tragedy. When those days came—those days she loses herself in thoughts and she harms herself—Jongin found himself, whilst watching her do those awful things to herself, silently crying in pain. He felt her hurting like he was in her place, like he knew the feeling of being a hero to save people only to lose them in reality.

“I watch a kid die and let that God-forsaken truck crush him to death,” Soojung finished quietly, eyes downcast. Jongin could foresee the unshed tears she was holding back. “What kind of a person does that?” she asked herself. She shook her head and started pacing. Jongin noticed her opening and closing her fist again. He wished she would impede on reprimanding herself. “I could have done something.”

“You couldn’t have,” he said as he rose from his seat.

“I was there,” she reasoned stubbornly. Jongin came slowly next to her. Blocking her path prevented her from traipsing further.

“It was too late. The brakes weren’t working in the first place,” Soojung looked up to him with her wide, child-like eyes. The earlier anger in them had waned and instead had been traded by guilt. He felt pity seeing her eyes. The once innocence and mirth he had perceived in them had vanished. “You can’t do everything, Soojung.”

“But I have to try.”

.

.

.

.

How she breaks so easily and no one sees except for Jongin. He puts up with the shriveled heroine no one notices and he picks up the broken pieces she scathes and the skin she peels off and discards them away. Jongin is the only one who has the patience and the will to be the stronger person because Soojung, with her heaven-sent strength and super genes, is too wrecked to bring herself together. Because Soojung will only destroy herself apart.

 


note. sleepy. had to finish this one because the idea has been juggling in my head for far too long. krystal is a superhero duh.

note2. for flyingberry because i totally forgot to reply to you at tumblr. i !

note3. critics will be nice. thanks for reading.